breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most years we have 20 to 30 glazed, commercially flash frozen, vacuum sealed sockeye filets in our freezer; we’re fortunate to have relatives who own and operate a major fish processer in Kenai.

We enjoy eating this fish sushi style dipped in a little soy souse mixed with wasabi. Next time I thaw a couple filets out I’ll try my hand at gravlax, thanks for the recipe ideas.

Jay

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First batch is in the fridge...I'll update when it comes out.

I chose to start off simple - single medium king slab in saran wrap, sugar, sea salt, pepper, fresh dill, topped with a brick wrapped in paper. I'll flip every 12 hours, and open it up for a check at 2 days.

Only thing I changed - I read a number of reviews where a 50/50 salt/sugar mix, was deemed a bit salty. That's a common complaint I have with many recipes, so I did mine with a 60/40 sugar/salt mix, as recommended by others.

Da Nag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...I don't even have a picture of the finished product. I pulled it out this evening after three days, opened it up, and gave a few small pieces to my family who is visiting.

Big mistake...it was like tossing a steak to a pack of hyenas. My wondrous 2 lb. slab of Gravlax disappeared in minutes.

I'm starting another batch tomorrow...it will be ready the day after they leave. Shucks - for them.

Highly recommended...if you like lox, you'll love this stuff. And it's dead simple to prepare. I can think of a gazillion ways to serve it, but ours disappeared atop toasted bagels, cream cheese and a little red onion.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag,
I am ready to try this recipe-what was the verdict on the salt/sugar mixture? Did you like the 40/60 blend?

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non iodized kosher salt I presume?
Marc

Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Non iodized kosher salt I presume?
Marc

Actually, no - even though that's what I used for brine when smoking.

I read several reports of excellent results using large crystal sea salt - which I just happened to have on hand. I didn't think to check whether it was iodized or not, but I just took a look - it is.

RE ratio - I did do 60/40, sugar/salt. And I'm glad I did...50/50 would definitely have been too salty, at least with a cure time of three days for the amount fish I used. I thought it came out perfectly, as did my family who was visiting. Dana thought it was just a tad salty, but only when eaten alone...when she had it on a bagel with cream cheese, she thought it was perfect as well.

The actual mix:

6 TB Sea Salt
4 TB White Granulated Sugar
5 TSP Fresh Ground Pepper

I think the slab was about 2 lbs. - but didn't weight it. The slab I'll be fixing up today, looks to be pretty much the same. I'll weigh it this time, just to make sure.

Also, I used fresh dill - layered pretty thick. No fish was left unexposed, and the dill was stacked 3-4 sprigs tall. I also took the advice read somewhere else, to keep the dill whole - made removing it far easier when unwrapping the fish.

I'll take pics of the next batch, both prep and finished.
CAVU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I'm ready to start a batch this weekend but my fish pieces are very thick. I would guess that the amount of salt/sugar is dependent on both the weight and thickness of the filet? I will have to do a little experimenting.
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no Alton Brown [although we both like BMW motorcycles ] but I believe the non Iodized salt is the preferred chef's salt . I always use it for curing and cooking . Keep the iodine on the table.
Morton makes a product called Tender Quick that is very useful with meats ,fish and Poultry as well as Salmon .Its a secret weapon for the pantry . Corned Beef ,Lox ,Pork Products ,Smoked Turkeys ,Smoked or cured Tuna , Sausages,etc all can benefit from this product especially if you vacuum pak . It prevents anaerobic bacterias from growing [think botulism]and makes for great texture and color .Yes its the perfect blend of salt,sugar ,nitrites and nitrates.Dont O.D. on it,use as little as you can get away with.
Just a tip from the floating kitchens of Wefings .
Marc
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've all made me hungry for Gravlax and I normally make it around Thanksgiving and Christmas but I'm headed to the store for supplies.

I use a recipe from Portland chef Caprial Pence and yes, it too is easy. Hers does however have an Asian flair which we have come to enjoy and will serve it on thin sliced bagel with a touch of wasabi cream cheese we make up.

1 1/2 pound salmon fillet - skin on
2 Table spoons kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 cup peeled, thinly sliced fresh ginger root

You put the salmon on plastic wrap and cover it with the ginger root top and bottom. Mix the remaining dry ingredients and spread them top and bottom. Wrap the fish in the plastic, place in the refrigerator, and then wait "patiently" for about three days or till firm to the touch.

To serve you remove the ginger and slice thin. It is great with the cream cheese and could also be served up with some other oriental accompaniments such as pickled ginger.

Guess I won't start slicing now till next week tough. Give it a try as a change from the more traditional.

CAVU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the gravlax recipe just as posted by Da Nag. My filet pieces were very thick so I cut the top part off parallel to the skin to leave a piece about 1 inch thick. It turned out fantastic. I did a 1.5 lb slab which I put out for appetizers at a party and it was all gone within minutes. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of this at the SBS CBGT.
Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a long way from any fresh salmon down here, but I do have a nice chunk of fresh yellow fin tuna.

Any thoughts about trying it out for gravlox? Marc, I'll bet you can help!

Also....., kosher, pickling/canning, or sea salt?

Brown sugar or white?

White pepper, black, or red?

Slap Ya Mama seasoning?

I'd sure hate to ruin this tuna!!!

What other gulf fish would be good to try?

Soon as Ida has left us, we'll be out after em again.

Dan

Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home canned tuna is the best ! Ball Jars [wide mouth pints] and a pressure cooker and a tolerant wife are required . You house WILL smell like a cannery. Kosher salt 1/2 Tsp per jar],olive oil, a fresh jalapeno or my favorite a serrano and a bay leaf .Albacore, Yellowfin and Blackfin totally rock like that. Makes me miss the west coast.
PM Me your number and Ill tell my secrets .
Marc
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've smoked tuna using the same recipe I use for salmon so I suppose gravlax'd tuna would be fine too. You'll have to do the experiment and let us know (the scientist's answer to everything).
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago we were down in Duluth and grabbed a quick lunch at the Northern Waters Smokehaus, a small little cheese and smoked fish shop down by the waterfront. Despite their diminutive size, they have received some acclaim for their sandwiches. I ordered something called 'Sitka Sushi' that contained gravlax, cucumber, shredded veggies, pickled ginger, chili sauce, and wasabi mayonnaise on a hero roll. It also was supposed to have cilantro, but I'm not a big fan. It was absolutely outstanding and had quite the zing, probably due to the wasabi. So I offer this combination to those of you wanting to experiment.
Al

rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Gravlax a la Araxi Reply with quote

Hi Brats and Happy Thanksgiving to the members in the USA. Today, the Victoria (BC) Times-Colonist published a gravlax recipe from the Araxi in Whistler BC. Never et there, but they are prize-winners!! Their recipe differs a little from some of the yummies noted here (although I might have a memory lapse that I don't know about; so much for fish as brain food.) The differences that seem important are: ground coriander in equal measure with the sugar; and the flesh side of the fish is basted with vodka or aquavit before it, too, is covered with salt mixture and dill.
I must try this concoction some time. Exclamation
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: