Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Gravlax? Reply with quote

I'm smokin' up a batch of Sitka goodies today, and while searching for some recipes I stumbled upon "Gravlax" - never heard of it before today.

I'm sure my ignorance is showing, and my fellow Brats will tell me how great or foul the stuff is.

I love lox - this seems like a similar style, but looks dead easy to prepare.

Hook me up, folks - who has the skinny on this stuff?

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No skinny here except what I know from the eating end. Local longtime chef does this and it is darn good.

It is not smoked or "pickled" in the usual sense (pickling implies use of vinegar), but seems to have some of the consistency of cold smoked salmon.

C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag

Here's a video of how to fix Gravlax

http://glutenfreegirlvideos.blogspot.com/

Just curser down until you see it.

Bill

PS - If you go to Sitka, you have to make a stop at the Chocolate Factory! Good stuff.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As luck would have it, we have a batch curing in the fridge at this very moment! We love this stuff. There's a little Finnish deli in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and every year when we pass through with the MOOSE heading out on Lake Superior, we stop and stock up on 'suola kala' (salt fish) which is essentially gravlax.

We first acquire two equally sized fillets of salmon. For the cure mixture we use three parts white sugar, three parts pickling/canning salt, and one part white pepper. Some people also throw in some fresh dillweed, but we do not. We lay the first fillet, skin-side down, on Handy-Wrap with a little of the cure underneath. The bulk of the cure goes on the flesh side followed by the second fillet, skin-side up, with the last of the cure on top. The sandwhich is then tightly wrapped and placed in a glass pan in the fridge with a board on top and some weight, like a brick or some canned goods. The fish package is flipped over about ever 12 hours and in two days is done. Wash off the remaining cure, pat dry, and you have gravlax. Serve it by cutting thinly with a fillet knife at an angle just down to the skin. We like it on thin Finnish rye bread with raw onion, but some folks use lemon juice, capers, dill mustard, etc.

One caveat: do not attempt this with fresh water fish because of the likelihood of encountering parasites.

Bon appetit!
Al

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty is the Queen of gravlax makers. I'm sure she will have some tips. Here is a kind of interesting recipe. We have to buy our fish (anybody with an excess of salmon on their hands is invited to send it our way). It is delicious on rye crisp with cream cheese, cappers and red onions! And it fast to make. Patty's cure is salt, sugar and dill, she covers it with plastic wrap, and weights it all down with a brick. Easy, quick and good!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, as we say in English, it is fast to make, and they are of course "capers" not "cappers." But 30 minutes have elapsed, so I have to do another post instead of correcting errors!
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo - good deal everyone, thanks for the tips! I'm gonna give it a try.

All of my Sitka salmon is in steaks - no whole fillets. Most of the recipes I'm seeing are using whole fillets, but I assuming that is more for consistency of the two pieces of fish since they are sandwiched together while curing. I've got a ton of salmon from this year's trip, so I'm pretty sure I can find a couple nearly identical steaks.

Now...silvers or kings? And, any reason why thicker or thinner steaks would be preferable, other than cure time? I've got silver steaks that probably vary from 3/4" - 2", and kings from 2" - 4" or so.

Heck...maybe I could answer my own question, and pair up a thick silver and skinny king slab. Mr. Green
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose,
Amen to you and Cooking for Engineers (see DaNag); you need to worry about parasitic worms. Don't ever eat uncooked freshwater fish -- some of those parasites are spectacularly nasty, and I don't think gravlax or ceviche is worth the risk. Saltwater fish parasites, not so bad, and if you slice the fish (think credit card) very thinly you might not recognize them for what they are.
A funny story Rolling Eyes: Years ago, as an undergrad in Alberta, Friday's dorm lunch always consisted of creamed "smoked fin and haddock" on toast. I cleared seven men from a table of eight, after I dissected out a large round-worm from a piece of fish and showed it around. I'm a zoologist, so I stayed to enjoy a lot of "seconds."
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip on the parasites, Rob.

Didn't mention it, but that's one reason I'm using the Sitka caught salmon instead of WA fish. Not that I'm under any illusion AK salmon has fewer parasites - but my Sitka fish was flash frozen, and kept in a commercial freezer for 2.5 - 5 days before being brought home. That should have taken care of any nasty critters...but if not, it's also been in the chest freezer at -10F for a couple months.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also made Gravlax for years and it always tastes better when you use downrigger cannonballs for the weights !I use a fish poacher and the strainer part goes on top of the fish to do the pressing with the down rigger weights on it . I line it with plastic wrap to keep the cure from the aluminum . They make stainless fish poachers but I aint that uptown. You can drizzle a little Wrights liquid smoke to make a cold smoked like product too.A few drops per fillet will do it .
Marc

MOOSE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took parasitology in college a hundred years ago and so I know of what you speak, Rod. Our Finnish friends on Lake Superior came all supplied to make their own 'suola kala' if they caught a salmon last summer, but I quickly disabused them of this notion. And our local tackle shop owner tells about some dudes up fishing in Ontario, one of whom considered himself a gourmet and who made walleye ceviche for everyone. Suffice it to say, he was less than popular a couple weeks later.

But none of this is intended to steer anyone away from making their own gravlax. We've eaten lots of it and it is a real treat.
Al
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moose,
And y' know,I was thinking less about gastrointestinal inconvenience and more in terms of large and dangerous parasitic cysts in, oh...say, my lungs or other organs of established importance. Shocked
MOOSE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcnabb wrote:
Hi Moose,
And y' know,I was thinking less about gastrointestinal inconvenience and more in terms of large and dangerous parasitic cysts in, oh...say, my lungs or other organs of established importance. Shocked

Ok, enough of this. I'm gonna go sample my fresh batch of suola kala.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcnabb wrote:
Hi Moose,

Being a meat-eater, I was unfamiliar with the gravlax... sounded like something I heard about in a pharmacutical, um, pharma, um, DRUG commercial: "Ask your doctor if Gravlax is right for you."

Wink
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. I wasn't going to add anything because the first few responses covered the way I do it. BUT...I noticed everyone is "sandwiching" their fish and I have never done that, probably because I've never had enough fish to do it. One single filet works just fine. I use equal parts sugar and salt depending on the size of the fish, and I use dried dill right in the sugar-salt mix because I always have that on hand. I wrap it tightly in Saran Wrap, put it in a dish, and weight it with a foil-wrapped brick. Two days isn't quite enough, three is about right, four makes it too dry. Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: