The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/10 - 09/12 - Guttenberg, Iowa
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: 09/10 - 09/12 - Guttenberg, Iowa
From 10 Sep 2010 to 12 Sep 2010 (included)

Hello from North East Iowa,

We are interested in having a C-Dory gathering here in Guttenberg, Iowa.

Guttenberg is a historic river town located at Lock & Dam #10 on the Mississippi River.

Guttenberg borders with Wisconsin (across the river), not far up river is the Minnesota border and not far down river is the Illinois border (across from Dubuque, Iowa).

This part of the Mississippi is protected with high bluffs and is very scenic.

We do not have a clue how these events work.

We would like member’s input on what should be considered, what is involved, what makes a memorable gathering and any other thoughts or ideas.

Just for fun; How many would be interested in attending a gathering here on the Mississippi, River?

We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Connie, Ron and Bear Fisher

Contact Connie: connie@ronfisher.com

Contact Ron: ron@ronfisher.com

Added to Calendar
Signup list created
Earlier discussion here
-TyBoo

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: C-Dory Gathering at Guttenberg, Iowa Reply with quote

Ron & Connie,

Sounds like a very nice idea and with the beauty of the "Big River", no one would want to leave the area! You know I would be there!

jlsparks

City/Region: Baldwin WI.
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dutch Treat
Photos: Dutch Treat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be up for that one, I live just up the river in Wisconsin and was planning a trip down to check out your area. I heard the Aquarium is worth the look as well as wine sampling. Only trouble is temps right now in the 20's and 3 inches of snow. Bummer. I'm still fishing but the heats on.

Jim
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Guttenberg , Iowa Gathering Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Yes, the temps are down early this year, however we have been boating.

Took out a photographer last weekend and captured some spectacular Eagle photos.

I believe the best time for a gathering (in Guttenberg) would be in August or September but am open for any suggestions.

Any suggestions about how to plan a gathering are welcome since our little historic town does not have much to offer except being absolutely beautiful.

Our good friends own The Landing (www.thelanding615.com) a very clean and reasonable Inn that looks out over the river and has some docking.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Ron & Connie Fisher

ron@ronfisher.com
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this place? In 2001 the spring flood came up to the 2nd step of the motel. The owner has a fishing barge across the river and quite close to the dam.
Regards,
Mark

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Guttenberg , Iowa Gathering Reply with quote

Connie Fisher wrote:
since our little historic town does not have much to offer except being absolutely beautiful.
Ron & Connie Fisher

We've had gatherings in the Puget Sound Area that although the amenities were few, the site of the gathering was gorgeous (ie: Blake Island Marine Park, Sucia Island Marine Park). The real highlights of these gatherings is the personal relationships that develop at these events. If for nothing else you will have a fantastic time getting to know folks you've met "on-line" that share your interests in C-Dorys and life in general. (Must not forget the great food and liquid refreshment that is shared as well! Wink )

Kind of like a "Field Of Dreams".....build it and they will come.

C-Brat #16
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Guttenberg, Iowa 2010 gathering Reply with quote

Hello Mark and Dave,

Yes mark, “this place”, besides being a neat and clean place to stay, people with boats that stay at the landing have a place to tie up.

Dave, thank you for your input, by the way “The Field Of Dreams” film location is just down the road 17 miles or so.

Would it be a good idea to have a January/February planning session in Guttenberg for those interested within a few hours drive (?

Keep the information coming.

Regards,

Ron & Connie Fisher
DaveS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Brat Gatherings are extremely varied, the information of which can be gleaned by reading the threads of previous gatherings across the country. With the exception of one gathering, all that I have attended have been in the Puget Sound Area. That being said, those that I have attended usually consist of a Friday evening no-host dinner at a local restaurant, then on Saturday evening a group potluck dinner and on Sunday morning a group breakfast at a local restaurant. However, as I previously stated, when gatherings are held in remote areas (ie: on islands) with no restaurants, most major meals become potluck. At least one of the gatherings on the "right" side of the country features "home grown" entertainment, in the form of instrumentalists and even a large group participation in a "Kazoo Band".
At our gatherings, we are most often blessed by the presence of the two C-Brat couples that just happen to be owners of a brewery and they are most generous in furnishing a large keg of their brew to the group. That being said, some of us would be unable to hold a Kazoo, much less play one.... Wink . Additionally, we "officially" christen our boats to keep them out of harm's way. Some of our more organized gatherings include discount coupons from local marine supply stores and local town merchants, to encourage the spending of our "tourist" dollars and provide us with some good reasonable "deals". The one gathering that I attended out of state was at Lake Shasta in California and as the sun was setting, one of the group fired off his black powder cannon to mark the end of a glorious day of activity and fellowship. I've read of some gatherings that indulged in geocaching, others feature an afternoon C-Dory flotilla cruise, dinghy races and various other types of activities. All in all, what I enjoy most is sitting on the dock next to our vessels enjoying the company of other C-Brats in conversation. These gatherings can be planned and co-ordinated by one person, one couple or several members. Some planning can become complex and some stay on the side of simplicity.
Hope this is a help and I'm certain that however you put it on, it will be a success!
On November the 7th, I'll be hosting a one day Snohomish River Delta Cruise. Why don't you hop on a plane, fly out and join us. You are welcome to board the vessel "Sea Shift" for a delightful exploration of the Snohomish River Delta. Additionally, don't forget to attend the ""Seattle Boat Show/C-Brat Gathering" in January. C-Brats from all over the country come to that gathering.
Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: 2010 C-Brat Gathering in Guttenberg, Iowa Reply with quote

Dave,

Thank you, thank you for your message.

After reading your message with first hand information and encouragement, now, I/we definitely plan to hold a C-Brat gathering next summer (2010) in Guttenberg, Iowa (52052).

Our chore now is to guess the best time during the summer (early or late) that would draw the most.

Sorry, we do not own a local brewery (rats), but we do have a commercial popcorn machine that we pull out near the fire pit when a group comes to town.

Last summer a group of 150 (or so) kayakers and canoes came to town and camped across the street from our house, many other groups visit our little historic town often.

Since we are the only C-Dory owners that we know (or have ever met) and the first C-Dory that we had ever saw or got close to was the one we purchased over the phone in Spring Texas( north Houston Berb).

The boat was a much neglected, rough, 1983 C-Dory Classic with a 1997 Sea pro motor that would not run because the ignition module was out (and the worse excuse for a trailer imaginable).

Back to Iowa, from warm Texas, plus 3-1/2 months, we are much delighted with our purchase and am now in search of a 16’ to replace my Lund fishing boat (never seen or been around a 16’ either).

Sorry for rambling on, but your message/information is much appreciated.

Thank you for the invitation.

Regards,

Ron, Connie & Bear Fisher

PS: Photo album of R-Dory and Bear will be posted by the weekend.
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,

We are going to keep an eye on your plans next year. I love that part of the country and if we attend we would turn our stay into a two or three week cruise. Would prefer a time later in the summer when the heat has dissapated. Look forward to hearing more.

Harper

BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, Connie, and Bear

We also plan on keeping an eye on your plans. We live in Madison, WI - 2 hours away from you - but we keep the boat in Sturgeon Bay, Wi - 5+ hours away.

I know we plan/hope on doing an early/mid June boat trip to Georgian Bay. Also, in late July I'll be doing the IronMan in Lake Placid - so the plan as of right now is to do the Erie Canal either before IronMan or after IronMan.

So anyway, we have a bunch planned (plus we have kids that have summer plans) - but I really really want to get on the Mississippi River and your thoughts of a gathering might be the perfect time. Had planned on doing so a couple weeks ago, but the darn business that keeps me boating - got in the way.

Have a nice evening.

Connie Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: C-Dory gathering in Guttenberg, Iowa? Reply with quote

How cool is this? A C-Dory gathering in Iowa, sounds sort of funny doesn't it?

Regard,

Ron, Connie and Bear Fisher
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie & Ron, We'll be there! I'm retiring in Dec. so anytime is fine with us but we would prefer September. The locks are slower and I think there are at least 8 of them between us. We went to Marquette three years ago in September and it was nice and cool. Great idea, it's time us Mid-coasters got together. Thanks for getting it going!

It's something in the water!
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Guttenberg, Iowa 2010 gathering Reply with quote

Connie Fisher wrote:
by the way “The Field Of Dreams” film location is just down the road 17 miles or so.
Ron & Connie Fisher

Sounds to me like you've got the "Cruise of Dreams" in the makings. Wink
Joni Lynn

City/Region: Guttenberg
State or Province: IA
Vessel Name: Joni Lynn
Photos: Joni Lynn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron & Connie aboard C-R Dory,
It sounds like you have a great start to the C-Brats gathering. I also think September would be a comfortable month in which to have it, but whenever it happens, you can count us in; We're looking forward to it !
Paul & Joni aboard the Joni Lynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: