View previous topic :: View next topic  
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Prop Wear (No Beanies Invovled) Reply with quote

I have two new (less than 50 hours) props on my Yamaha F50's. The port side is wearing badly, but the starboard looks brand new.

There is no apparent difference in performance between the two - no vibration or slippage that I can detect. Cursory examination reveals no obvious defect in the port side prop, but I'm assuming there must be some. Previous props had 100's of hours and showed no wear like this on either engine. The Permatrims were installed well before the new props. I haven't run aground (recently!) or hit anything I know of since the new props were installed.

I'm about to experiment by swapping props between the two engines, but I'd hate to mess up the good one if the problem is not the prop itself. Any thoughts?

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill – the wear spots on the port side prop is too uniform to be normal wear. All three blades have identical markings in the same spot on each blade. Something caused it other than normal wear. I don’t have any idea what caused it other than a wild guess and I am not going to do that. Are there any markings on the other side of the prop? Or any on the edge of the blades? I can’t tell from the photo.
_______
Dave
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor paint job on the port side????

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting problem. Let’s assume that the two units are identical: same props, same bolt heads on the permatrim, etc., etc., etc. In other words, forget about “mechanical” factors, and assume that if you were to swap motors port and starboard, you’d still have the same problem. You can check that out pretty well by eyeballing the lower units, and the permatrim installations.

If they’re essentially identical, I’d assume that the props aren’t cutting the same water stream. Without getting into a discussion of ventilation vs. cavitation, or of all the things which affect the water the props encounter (hull design, the permatrim itself, the two rows of bolt heads mounting the prematrim, the lower unit, etc., etc.), I’d look at things that could result in different water at the props, and most of them come from how the boat is balanced and trimmed.

Get a “level gauge”, “incline-o-meter”, or whatever they’re called, and mount it at the helm. Until you do that, you don’t have any idea if the boat is tilting to one side or the other. Then, check out your level at the dock, with you at the helm, and everything else in place. If you’re level there, you’re probably going to have the motors titled equally while underway, at least until you burn fuel or catch a really big fish. Every now and then, while underway, repeat the test by stopping dead in the water, and rebalance your load as much as possible to reflect fuel burn, water consumption, etc.

Once the boat is as balanced as possible, and only then, use the motor trim to keep the boat level, side-to-side, while underway. What I’d try to avoid is having one motor tilted down more than the other, except to the extent necessary to trim the boat.

I’d also keep the paint on the problem prop retouched, so that I could tell if I was making progress in fixing the problem.

Let us know what happens.

Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jack.

Poor paint job.

Because the pattern is similar on every blade, there must have been some grease or oil on the dies when that prop was stamped into shape.

My 2 cents.

Easy fix though.... a can of spray paint!

Capt Dan

NORO LIM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone.

I don't believe there is any wear on the forward side of the prop or on the edge, but I haven't inspected them that closely yet. (The boat's in the water. Just taking the picture was an Olympic event - at least in the geriatric class.)

I do have a level gauge, and I am fairly careful, some might say obsessive, about keeping side to side balance with weight loading. (In fact, ironically, I just spouted off, again, about balancing with weight distribution in another post a few minutes ago.) However, Almas Only's comments just got me thinking about the recent stickiness of the port engine trim sending unit. I got it moving again with some lubrication, and it seems to be operating normally, but now I'm suspicious about the accuracy of the gauge reading. Maybe it's time to replace the unit.

The first thing that struck me about the wear was the peculiar symmetry of the pattern - the same three shapes on each of the three blades. I've seen prop wear in spots before on other boats, but I don't remember anything like this. Maybe it's not that uncommon.[/i]
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM

This may be a long shot, but easy to check, anyway.

Measure the angle of attack of the torque trim tabs on the two motors and their clearances with the props, and, as well, check to make sure that their shapes are the same in profile and thickness, etc.

I'm wondering if one is closer or somehow differently positioned than the other to the prop blades and causing some true cavitation issues which is resulting in very low pressure areas on the rear prop sides, pulling the paint off by true cavitation, where molecules/atoms are removed by low pressure and other forces.

Usually real cavitation issues become problematic at higher force situations, such as encountered in racing boats, but .....you never know!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...verry interesting Grasshopper.

After reading the initial posts, I spent about an hour reading up on things like "prop burn" and signs of cavitation. Some folks really get into this with negative pressure readings, vaporization effect and other esoteric stuff; all of which is Beyond me. Ooh well.

The fact that you have two props and can replicate certain issues is valuable. (Slightly) etch and repaint the offending (port) prop and subject it to some standard usage, then (re)inspect. I'm hard pressed to think this is an oil-blob-on-the-stamping-die problem; I think it's an effect of the prop spinning, but I'll be damned if I know the answer.

Bottomline: I don't think this is something that should disrupt your boating in any way. From my experience, a lot of props show distinct wear patterns after being worn-in over hours of use. A minute variation of a micron or two in the manufacturing process may be the culprit. But in this case the "culprit" might not be worth chasing down. A similar situation might be in the standard manufactured engine versus a "blueprinted" engine. If you're looking for the absolute peak in performance, go for perfection; if not, just cruise along in the pack with the rest of us. It's comfortable, and we'll leave the light-on for ya.

...I gotta learn to make shorter replies.

Best,
Casey

rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, Consider the possibility that the scars might be from different sources. Could the longer ones have been inflicted on the port prop by something you hit when that prop was going astern? Their symmetry is greatest from the leading edge of each vane if they spinning CCW. Perhaps if you were spinning the boat to port at low speed, you hit something that struck each blade before it broke off. It might have inflicted a little more damage, again starting at the 10 o'clock vane, with those smaller pecks that get progressively bigger, and then it was gone. Faulty coating seems an unlikely cause to me.
Don't you love a good mystery? Cat
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcnabb wrote:
. . . the scars might be from different sources. . .

Hey! I'm trying to narrow the field here! OTOH, I was always telling my kids, "Never forget, two things can go wrong at the same time."

So far, it could be:
    Bad paint job
    Bad paint job due to grease on die
    Engines running at different trim angles
    Undisclosed wild guess
    Torque trim tab angle
    Torque trim tab clearance
    Torque trim tab shape
    Striking something with port prop while going astern

Seriously, thanks again for all the ideas. I'm a glutton for punishment - anyone else have a theory?

Bill
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this before on a couple of props I have run on a 90 ETEC. It's the result of a cavitation type erosion. I showed one of the props to a shop that specializes in marine propellers and they indicated it was was the result of turbulence at that point on the prop generating cavitation bubbles. I think Joe hit on it with the low pressure point on the back of the prop. I don't understand fluid dynamics that well, but I would suspect if you swapped props right and left the problem wouldn't move as it endemic to the prop and not the motor.
38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like prop burn. If you do not have a nick on the motor or the prop its self then the problem may be forward of the motor. Where is the sending unit for the depth finder? do you have a raw water pick up? where is it. And dont be fooled to thing that it has to be right in front of the motor. When you turn the boat water comes from different angles. switch the props and see what happens. is this a problem with other twins.?
Capital Sea

C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sure do not have an answer about the cause.
What I do know is doing nothing will cause the rapid decline of the prop. In salt water and with the metals being used in props, paint is critical. I ran my prop on the Honda 90 for less than a season with some non gouging paint penetrations and when I again inspected it closely the metal was corroded 70% through two blades near the base. All of my zincs were and are new. I was shocked. Now the prop is a spare that I hope will get me home should the need ever arise.

Save our Sound!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look HERE regarding prop cavitation and burn! Note the pattern of burn areas on the prop!

normal cavitation erosion after one year on a 65 Viking.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,
You done done it now....ole buddy. I went out and bought a 20" widescreen....Flat Display the other day
and here you go an post a picture the I still have to scroll to the right to see the other side of...and down
40 clicks to get to the bottom.

If you don't pratice some resizing controls...you will force me to spend good boat money on a whole new home
Theater to vew your post in the future..

And if you don't want to watch a grown man cry...please...think of me the next time.

PS: or was that a prop off of the Queen Mary?

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: