The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit Rails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Cockpit Rails Reply with quote

Has anybody installed rails in the cockpit area like what's shown on the boat on the first page of the new C-Dory brochure? I'm interested in putting something like this on my Cruiser and wasn't sure if these were custom done or if they were available stock. My biggest concern is that the rails would interfere with the hatches where the batteries are.
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture on the cover is of the 25' Cruiser. If you have ever been in one, the floorboards are much higher (the fuel tank, piping, and waste pump are under the floorboards, which are fixed). In the brochure cover picture you can see the man's knees. I'm not the tallest guy, but standing in the 22' you can barely see my belt buckle.
All that being said, I'm sure you can get the railings for a 22', but the interference with the aft storage might make it more trouble than it is worth.
Summed up, the 25' needs the rails. On the 22' it might be a nice addition if it doesn't limit you elsewhere. Somebody may be able to measure them and/or dry fit it at the factory and give an estimate.
Fair winds...
John
Salty Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks for the info on that. I'm not too concerned about the height on the 22' Cruiser because I don't use the boat for fishing or anything, just cruising. I would like the extra height back there if possible, though, because I'm having a custom bench seat made to go across the back. Was just thinking the extra height with the rails would give somebody a place to hang on to better while seated.
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a bench seat is a great add-on for comfort and allowing more people aboard. If I can make a humble observation about C-Dory additions though, try to make it as easy to remove as everything else on the boat. The flexibilty is what everybody admires. If you make an aft bench with some clips and fold out legs that doubles as storage and can be removed, you may be happier than something fixed where you drill lots of holes and use sealant that is hard to clean.
Talk to your local dealer about getting the specs on the rails and let the BRATS know your results.
Cheers!
John
Salty Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I plan on posting pictures of the bench as soon as it's done. I have no plans on making it permanent, rather it will be removeable. That way I can access the gas tanks easier and it can be removed if somebody wanted the extra space for fishing. Boat is going to the canvas/upholstery shop first weekend of March, so hopefully I'll have pictures available in late March.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: