View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: New MOB device Reply with quote

Quote:
The Mobilarm V100 is the first water activated Maritime Survivor Locating Device (MSLD) that provides an automatic man overboard alert and in-water tracking using the marine VHF radio band.

Read more about it HERE.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This device depends to much on other people. It assumes that some one is listening to ch16 at all or that they care. I have found that most , yes most people on the water never turn on their vhf They will treat it as a cell phone and babble on and on on other channels but never listen to 16 at all. I would rather have a device that calls a paid professional alone with broadcasting on 16. and for $800 this device should do both. I have heard boats ask for help on the vhf and boats a short distance away with never hear them or care if they do.

i meet a guy two weeks ago in everett that ran out of gas off ship wreck. He called on 68 for help to boats in his area and no one heard or they did not care. 68 is the local fishing channel and these other boats where all fishing.

I was on the water because a friend broke down and needed a tow . after waving at other boats for two hours with this orange life vest and not getting anyone to stop he call me and alex. we left work, launched and went to ge him for a tow back.

unless the device sends out a call to the coast guard I would not depend on anyone on the water to help you or even have the ability to help if they wanted too. Now as you all now I tow 3 to 5 boats a year and have even given my own fuel to other to get them off the water. I believe that we should all help if we can, but i never count on anyone else helping me.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even after reading the article I am a little confused about exactly what this alarm does. Does it transmit GPS co-ordiantes? if so to what? If this really gives a DSC alarm with GPS co-ordiantes, which show up on the recieving VHF radio/and or chart chart plotter, properly hooked up, then it is a great device. If only a unique short range DSC, not quite as useful.

It is expensive, and you can buy 3 EPRIB's for the same price. A VHF RDF is expensive, and not readily available on most boats. There are much cheaper alerts for MOB.

But with GPS and DSC--it would be a real life saver. The best application would be offshore sailboat racing--or short hand cruising. These are situations where man overboard happen fairly frequently, and would be the best market. But with a 10 man crew--this would mean about $7500 for just the units!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: