The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker for CD-22 with Honda 75 HP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Kicker for CD-22 with Honda 75 HP Reply with quote

I purchased SunFish and am now in the process of setting up:
Kicker motor to complement the Honda 75 HP carberated, Adjusting prop size and Installing shore power. I usually carry full survival gear, spare prop, oil change , 5 gals of drinking water, 1-2 persons - complete tool kit, - Will stay with Honda due to great local Honda mechanic - Pickering Marine.

I have spent quite a few hours recently reading about all of those topics on the CBrats - but still have some questions.

1. Do I need to install the kicker or at least add that much weight before fine tuning the prop choice on the 75?

2. Swim step is now on Port side - what side do most folks mount the kicker? ?? Usually opposite the helm? One battery is on each side .

3. Which Honda kicker is recommended for a back up motor to get hull speed [I don't care so much about trolling] - don't plan to use kicker on dinghy, want control of kicker from helm. Read about Tohatsu 6 - Honda 8 - any other suggestions?

Thanks
Jim
Spike

City/Region: Kent
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim
I read that you plan to stay with Honda, but asked for other suggestions. I am real happy with my Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. Not a burp out of it. And I use it ALOT.
Chuck
Bootleg Hooch
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda 9.9 is the heaviest 9.9 known to mankind. Try the Tohatsu/Nissin 9.9. cheaper and lighter, with a good reputation.

Boris, or someone else
jstates

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: More kicker questions. Reply with quote

Yes thanks for the idea to try a Yamaha or Tohatsu -
do most mount kicker directly on transom?

I see them mounted on both sides in photos, since current swim platform in on Port side. Is it ok to mount kicker on STarboard? - easier to set up controls?.

Is it difficult to move the swim step?

Do most folks use electric tilt and start and control like with the main. Seems like that would be important especially when solo.

Since I usually change my own plugs, fuel and oil filters, engine oil and lower unit lube, and only Honda is nearby - do Yamaha and Tohatsu still honor warranty if i keep records?

Thanks
Jim
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: More kicker questions. Reply with quote

jstates wrote:
I see them mounted on both sides in photos, since current swim platform in on Port side. Is it ok to mount kicker on STarboard? - easier to set up controls?.
Thanks Jim

Hi Jim, congratulations on your new vessel. On my former 16' C-Dory the kicker was mounted on the starboard side and the swim step was on the port side. Having the kicker on the starboard side meant that when you utilitzed the swim step you were not stepping over a bundle of cables/fuel lines. My kicker had a tie rod to the main so I could steer the vessel from the helm, however the kicker did not have electric start and I could not control the speed or shift FNR from the helm.
(The drawback to having a kicker on the starboard side is that there tends to be a bit of vessel imbalance when one is single handing the vessel as the helmsman's weight is on the starboard side as well as the kicker).

C-Brat #16
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the swim platform to accommodate the kicker. It's very simple and took less than an hour (See my photo album) Photo
I also have the tie rod arrangement. Without the tie rod modification, it was difficult to steer with the tiller down. I bought the rod through Cabela's
I made the move to balance the weight since it's usually just me and the dog aboard and he won't stay on the port side. Now if you're generally out with 2 or 3 -obedient- people,Laughing I believe it's less of a factor and I wouldn't bother moving the swim step.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new Endurance.
Yamaha makes a fine motor, I would not hesitate to get one, if I wasn't such a Honda fan.
We had a Honda 9.9 mounted on the starboard side. If you are going to do a lot of trolling, that might be a good motor. We don't do a lot of fishing and felt that the 9.9 was too heavy. The boat listed to starboard and it was too heavy for me to lift by myself. If it was mounted to port, it my have worked out better. The summer of '07, we spent most of our time cruising on the kicker at 5 to 6 mph. The fuel economy was great, but you can't be in a hurry to get somewhere.
We have since downsized to a Honda 5 hp. It is much lighter and will push the 22' along at 4 to 5 mph at half throttle. The boat does not list as much as with the 9.9. The down side to the BF5 is that it is a one cylinder motor and vibrates a bit much. When we cruise on the kicker, we set the main motor down and steer from the pilot seat. Maybe not the most efficient but is more comfortable than hanging over the motor well. Connecting the motors with a rod would be a much better way to go.
I think the ideal Honda for a kicker would be the BF8 classic. A few years ago Honda changed the stying of the BF8 and BF9.9. The new motors have a round cowling whereas the classic has more of a squared off cowling. The classic is lighter than the new style, I don't remember how much, but I'm sure someone on the site can answer that. The Classic can also be ordered with a charging system, that would make a great backup battery charger in a pinch. Pull start with a charging system, how can you beat that.
We have ours mounted on a bracket that Tyboo designed and posted on the site many years ago. It is angled enough to keep the kicker from dragging in the water.
Look forward to seeing your new boat and all the changes you make to it.

Spike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim
I have my kicker mounted on a mini jack plate on the port side. My Yamaha is an electric start tillerless model with power tilt, which does add a couple of pounds. The throttle and shift are hard wired to the helm like my main. As is the start switch. And I use a tie bar so I can steer from the helm Really am pleased with the set up.About the only complaint I have is that Yamaha does not put a recoil start as a back up on this model. But they do give you a seperate emergancy pull rope. Just have to pull the cover off and manualy wind the rope.

Chuck
Bootleg Hooch
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that many folks use 8 or 9 hp kickers. But I have driven boats weighing more than the C Dory25 and with as much windage with 5 hp engines--sure the speed is only 5 knots. But that is plenty to "get home". You get a little more thrust with the 8 to 9 (esp in the high thrust or big foot configurations) and this may help if you are punching into the wind or seas. The "hull speed" of these boats is 5 knots (give or take) and that is easily achieved with low hp.

We have put our engines on the stb side, just because removing the swim step would mean filling holes in the transom.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jstates

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Thanks - Reply with quote

Thanks for the great ideas from everyone- The idea of using the Tohatsu 9.8 HP at 81 pounds vs the Honda 9.8 HP 118 pounds is interesting especially since I am working with a main of 75 Hp. I do like the idea of a clean swim step and transom for entry and saving 40 pounds would make it easier to compensate for Starboard mount.

How durable are Tohatsu Marine engines?

The story on the Tohatsu web site is worth reading about home made 21 foot enclosed boat [sub like look] that crossed Atlantic running Tohatsu 2.5 hp 21/24 hrs per day for many days. Eventually traveled from Europe to Florida to NY - amazing captain -living on nuts and 1 liter of water per day.

After reading about more people cruising on a kicker - and having discovered auto pilot - it sounds like I will be using the kicker a lot.

Thanks again for the input

Jim
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Kicker Reply with quote

Jim,

I have had several Honda 8hp kickers, and while they are good engines, the very best I have ever used has been the Yamaha 8hp high thrust. They like the Honda are not light, but I have not seen a smoother kicker for trolling. Very nice throttle adjustments that will give small increments of RPM.

To be truthful, I wish I would have put one on my boat instead of the Honda.

Steve

Spike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim
The Tohatsu motors are rebadged Nissians. Very good motors. A friend has a 8hp Tohatsu on his 16' C-Dory Got it on the recomendation of another CD owner

Chuck
Bootleg Hooch
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan is a rebadged Tohatsu. Tohatsu has been around for many years and VERY reliable in my personal experience. My old 18 hp 2-stroke Tohatsu was a little hard to start, but once the operator (me) found the right combination -- great. The new 4-strokes are smooth, quiet and as good as any others I've used.

We use a Yamaha on one boat and Honda 8 on the other... expect there will be a Tohatsu (Nissan) in the future.

I do not like the Honda 5.

Dusty

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My kicker had a tie rod to the main so I could steer the vessel from the helm

This is a picture of the factory installed tie-rod connecting a Johnson 70 to a Johnson 15.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawdust wrote:

I do not like the Honda 5.

Dusty

Well, I have a Honda 5, old style, and did not like it for the first few years. For a guy with an artificial elbow in my pulling arm, it was a problem. I tried everything, including two different Honda certified sales and service places. Nothing. Then, this Spring we're sitting out between Everett and Edmonds and I'm getting antsie. "I'm gonna try the kicker" Dotty gives me the look. On the second pull, Shazam! It purrs like a kitten, and has every time since. And I do start it up almost everytime we are out, as I enjoy sitting back there leaning on the raised mighty 40hp Honda. I don't really have any other small motor to compare it to, and I won't tell you I love it, even though I do tell it that I do.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: