The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit Water Removal - My Take

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Cockpit Water Removal - My Take Reply with quote

I thought this was a good moment to share my approach to removing accumulated deck water.
We've got a thread on a 22 Angler Drainage Problem and one on Jabsco Pump Failures so the timing seemed right.
As we all know, the 22s aren't self-bailing. When it rains or a wave is taken the water must be pumped out. Adeline was ordered with a bilge pump/vertical rod holder option that was standard on '89 Anglers. The pump was a 2000gph Rule that sat under a cover at the rear bulkhead.

Water settles there so the location was right but the Rule wouldn't remove ENOUGH water to keep my shoes from getting wet. The Dri-Deck Tiles were still submerged after pumping. I needed a setup that removed it all so my feet would stay dry and I wouldn't track it into the cabin(condensation). Since I wanted to continue using the cover my options were limited to pumps that were physically short. The Jabsco Water Puppy fit the bill so I installed one along with a pickup(strainer) and check valve using the original hose and Rule on/off/auto switch.

The new setup worked great and my feet stayed dry. Everything but a spongeful was evacuated!
Once I was satisfied that it worked I installed the pump and cover using nothing but Sikaflex. It's been sealed up 16 years and she's still running strong with the original impeller. It only sees the light of day because another project required its removal.
It's now been reinstalled and ready for another 16 years. This time, however, I mounted it with epoxy and threaded inserts. Pictures here!

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, as usual, Pete! Wink

Folks might like to know that the Water Puppy pump works better because it is a self-priming flexible impeller pump, whereas the other, centrifugal rigid impeller bilge pump, would only prime itself when under water, and won't remove any more water once air reaches the top of the impeller.

The Water Puppy, on the other hand, will pull water up the tube, prime itself, and run until its dry and a switch shuts it off.

Ir costs twice as much, but will do a slightly different job, and is much better suited to this one!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to find everything but the check valve. Where did you find one that would mate up?
Adeline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: jabsco pump Reply with quote

How do you control the pump; simply a manual on/off or is there an automatic feature? If an auto control, what is it?

Thanks, Jay
Adeline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This factory installed Rule 3 way panel switch was originally connected to a Rule float switch (mercury switch) under the housing. When in auto mode, the float switch was enabled and would energize the pump when the water rose. I was unhappy with the float switch because it waited too long to turn on (water too high) and shut off too soon (water still too deep). I removed it intending to find a more sensitive replacement, but I never did. I've been using it strictly in manual mode until a better float switch comes along.
After a nights rain I'll run it for 15 or 20 seconds to evacuate the water. After a few minutes any residual will work it's way around the tiles and up against the bulkhead. One more 5 second blast removes that.
Bad Boy

City/Region: Fresno
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat Fever
Photos: Cat Fever
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the cockpit floor above the waterline so that one could install a simple drain with a 90-degree elbow to gravity drain to the side of the boat and eliminate the maintenance of a sump pump and float switch?

George
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,
The 22 cruiser floor is well below the waterline. Even the newer models with the molded in floor I believe are still slightly below waterline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: