The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

12/18/04 - Lake WA/Union Bay/Locks/Day trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat Guy! I think a mass C-Brat-C-Dory Lock party would give the folks that venture out to watch the locks a thrill, but they or somebody better get a picture..it would be priceless for sure, and make a great pic for the SBS too.

Now if only we can get the Laurna Jo back in time.........

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: What Does It Take To Do The Lock Reply with quote

There is an outside chance I might get my first Saturday off in 3 months which opens up the possibility of the Lk WA cruise.

I have never been through the Locks. What does it take. Special lines?

Thought about going out with the Christmas ships some night as well

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: What Does It Take To Do The Lock Reply with quote

Hope you can join us, Kirby. In the small lock, no special lines required. IF we were to end up in the big lock, you would need 50 foot lines I am told (never have done that myself...)

C-Sick wrote:
There is an outside chance I might get my first Saturday off in 3 months which opens up the possibility of the Lk WA cruise.

I have never been through the Locks. What does it take. Special lines?

Thought about going out with the Christmas ships some night as well

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with all this chatter on this event, I feel obligated to attend. This will be my first attendance at a C-Brat gathering and I'm really looking forward to seeing mods others have made to their boats (especially 22's). I used to moor in Lake Union so I have locked through quite a number of times.

Given the post asking about required equipment, I thought I'd give my 2cents worth of pointers-- (actually more like a quarter's worth)

First, those who haven't locked through (and even those who haven't done it for awhile) might benefit from a quick review of the process as posted at the lock's web site.

http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=lwsc&pagename=Navigating

This site gives a list of required equipment and some good advice. The section entitled "How to Conquer the Ballard Locks and Maintain Your Sanity." is worth reading. I have seen a number of "interesting" human interactions at the locks so the points about being prepared and staying calm are the most relevant. I am sure a number of divorces have started at the locks due to a lack of both.....

My short list -

For the small locks - lines of "15-20 feet are sufficient" and almost always serve the purpose. However, 50' lines are recommended and I have two in the boat just for this purpose. I've NEVER needed to use them in the small locks but have them ready none-the-less. I have used them in the large locks but it is likely we'll all go through the small locks in one batch.

Prior to entering the locks
1) Fender both sides of the boat - you don't know which side you will be asked to moor to AND you DEFINITELY don't know how good the other skippers are (especially those in very large Bayliners).
2) If you are not alone, your partner should DON A LIFE JACKET and then go out onto the bow with the bow line in hand. The life jacket is important anytime you go to the bow but is doubly important in the locks where you can easily bump the wall (or be bumped). It is also handy to have a boat hook at the bow (especially for inexperienced skippers or on windy days).

If you are alone: well in advance of entering the locks fender up and carefully coil the bow and stern lines (its best to have both stern lines attached). Then take a long loop of the bow line and hang it over the bow rail so that the bow line may be easily grabbed by the lock attendant or another boater. Leave a similar (but smaller) loop draped over each side at the stern. This simple prep can make things much easier as the lock attendants will help out a single-hander boater more often when you: a) make it easy for them to do so and b) leave these obvious hints for help.

After entering the locks.
3) Both the skipper and any crew should be aware of the following. FIRST AND FOREMOST - pay attention to the lock attendants. They give good firm instructions and are there to help. In addition:
a) The skipper has good control of the stern but not so much over the bow. Hence, once a bow line is attached, the skipper can back off of it to bring the stern in. However, if one misses attaching the bow line and the wind is blowing hard, it may be necessary to back out quite a bit and come back in to get the bow line attached. For those entering the locks on a windy day, be prepared for the guy/gal in front of you having to do this and leave them some room. Our C-Dory's (especially with camper tops) blow sideways nicely... Also, I have found that if conditions are quite windy, it is sometimes easier if the person with the bow line stands closer to the helm and holds onto the rail on the roof. The makes the reach to the wall MUCH easier. Then (as long as the skipper has the boat slowed sufficiently), it is possible to simply grab ahold of the wall and walk the boat into position. For beginners, this is the easiest, especially on the small locks. However, if you're all the way at the tip of the bow, this is not possible.
b) A line attached up current with nothing attached down current is generally OK but the reverse results in the up-current end of the boat swinging around, people yelling and generally bad things happening. For reference, the current in the locks flows towards the saltwater... The lock attendants will tell you which line to take off first AND WHEN to do so.
c) Leave enough slack on the bow line to allow the stern to be pulled in tight. You may need to adjust this after the stern is attached.
d) After you are attached, pay attention to the other boats behind you who are often waiting patiently for you to take their lines and tie them off. Often boats raft 3-5 deep in the large locks and 2-3 deep in the small locks. It's a bit annoying to try and catch the attention of someone who is not paying attention when you've been instructed to tie off to their boat.
e) Regardless of whether you tie off to the wall or raft off another boat, it is best if your lines go around their cleats and then get tied off back on your boat. This allows you to leave without the need to help at the lines. You may have to instruct the person receiving your line on how to do this as the first tendency is to tie it off on their side.
f) If the lock attendants or another boater offers to take your line, HAND it to them when possible or toss it just to one side of the attendant. They work 8 hour shifts and don't enjoy being hit in the chest, arms, face, etc by heavy lines all day long. If you are on the receiving end of a line, having a boat hook ready to catch the bad toss or to reach over and get the line is greatly appreciated by other boaters.

If you are single handed, locking through can be accomplished without help on a windy day by pulling up along the wall with a little forward momentum, tying off at the stern with a few feet of slack and putting the boat into gear to pull to bow in. Then with a line (pre-rigged) attached to the cleat just outside the window near the helm, reach out and tie off. After that, it is easy to adjust the boat's position if necessary. However, with good judgement and positioning, you're usually good to go.

Other things you should know/tips - commercial and govt guys have the right away no matter how long you have been in line. "Commercial" includes tour boats and charters. No need to get angry about this... If my livelihood depended on getting through the locks, I'd appreciate this priority. Since I'm out for fun, I'm happy to let those whose living depends on it go through in front of me. I don't have a choice but the attitude makes it easier to swallow.

The lock attendants/lock master will rarely answer any radio hailing from us lowly recreation boaters so don't bother unless you really need it. They generally will just ignore you. However, this summer when I had a nice hook stuck deep in my thumb (don't ask..) they were very quick to answer my hail and bring me in past others so I could get to the doctor sooner. They are there if you need them (on CH13) but only respond to emergencies for non-commercial boaters.

Assume the other boat coming up to you is not prepared (or competent). Another good reason for the boat hooks to keep him from putting new marks or holes in your boat. Also, this is a good time to have an extra line or two to provide for the unprepared soul trying to lock through. Yes, HE/SHE SHOULD be prepared but they often aren't and trying to tie them up with the 1.5 ft of ratty braided line they have is more effort than providing the decent spare line all nice C-brats carry.

Even though the walls in the small locks float, they occasionally (but rarely) get stuck. Pay attention and give slack immediately if needed and/or notify the lock operator. In the large lock, it is necessary for those on the wall to man their lines and give/take in slack as the water goes down/up. I saw a new boat owner this past summer tie off to the wall in the large locks outbound and have a very large cleat ripped right out of some very expensive teak at the stern. Lucky the flying cleat didn't kill or injure someone and I'm sure the $'s to repair to his big boat could have bought a nice radar for mine Rolling Eyes !

If you are rafting off of another boat (or 2 or 3 or 4), don't assume the person(s) on the wall know what they are doing or are strong enough to deal with the chore (especially in the large locks with very large boats owned by very old people). If they come loose, it may be necessary to apply some power to your boat to keep the whole group from crashing into the boats in front of or behind you. I had just such an occasion occur two summers ago, when the boater on the wall let loose of one line and our group of 5 boats nearly swung into the group in front of us. I was on the outside and had just enough time to jump down from my sunny chatting position on the bow, fire up an engine, engage reverse and pull the entire group back into position. Now I pay closer attention and sometimes leave an engine idling when the water starts to be lowered.
The most common situation where this kind of thing happens is when a nice 35+ footer comes in with a 70+ year old couple and gets 4-5 boats rafted off of it. Often the older man/woman on the crew simply cannot put enough pressure on the line to keep it from going to slack. The courteous boaters near him/her should jump across and lend a hand.

Speaking of courtesy - if there is a long line to get into the locks and there is limited space to tie off, invite others to raft off of you. Jockeying around for an hour is a waste of effort and fuel and you might just meet an interesting person by inviting them in to raft.

Sorry for the length - hope this is helpful.

Roger B

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry for the length...

Are you kidding?? Thank you very much. I'm not even going on this trip, and I found the reading fascinating. Excellent contribution, and very helpful.

Have fun!

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posting that you contributed Roger B. as well as the link regarding the locks.

I would add one thing that one of the lock attendants shared with me, that I find easy to remember. He said that when leaving the locks you cast off the "Lake Line Last". The reason for this of course is that the current is always flowing down from the lake towards the saltwater.

C-Brat #16
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Mirth and her merry crew will be there for most, if not all, the day.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lets hope for a break in the weather! Today (December 9) it is COLD and RAINY here in Fall City, and I suspect all across the Puget Sound area...A nice sunny, clear, crisp December day would be just right!

dotnmarty wrote:
Miss Mirth and her merry crew will be there for most, if not all, the day.

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerbum: Good Post and info. A southeastern lock note.. especially in the summer months is to be sure and have a couple cans of wasps spay on board. The dollars cut from budgets (not as much maintenance as there use to be) Angry now allow the nest to form rather rapidly.... and if you get the horn/hook/cleat ... the wasps do not care that you simply just want to tie up for a brief time... and benadrill (sp?) on board also helps in case they are faster than the crew. Smile
Byrdman
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this little feller doesn't want to get stung by angry weather. Today sucks if one's a boater. Great day for a walk in the park, though, with the right clothes. This weekend is slated to be a little more sunny.

However, last Saturday on Lake Washington was quite nice. Calm with a few sprinkles here and there. A day like that on the 18th will bring wide grins, long memories and warm satisfaction.
Rainbow
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there are 8 boats signed up on the Event Sign-up page. Plus RogerBum on SeaDNA and I think another has said they are coming.

Thanks for the dissertation on Locking Thru by SeaDNA. Will read it through later when I have time.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the weather report for this cruise. December 18 is predicted to be Hot SUNNY! Hot

(Roger B. - I just "caught on" to the origin of your boat's name....clever!)
Jeff and Diane

City/Region: Renton, Washington
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Immacu-Nada/"C-Spaz"
Photos: Immacu-Nada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy I haven't been on the site for quite a while. Just married off a daughter on Sunday Love Anyway, What is the tenative time frame for departure and return for the trip? It is something we have wanted to do, and maybe we could squeeze it in. Wishful thinking.

Diane Lips
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff & Dianne

Think we're following Pat's message earlier in this thread.

"I hope we can all meet at (what is it, Portage Bay?) on the lake side of the Montlake Cut at 10:00 am or so, regardless of where we may launch"

Right Cruise Director?

We're planning to launch slightly before that (depending on Ferries of course!) at Magnussen Park

Hope to see you there-

Mac & Linda
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! We should alert the media!

jimandlaurie wrote:
Cat Guy! I think a mass C-Brat-C-Dory Lock party would give the folks that venture out to watch the locks a thrill, but they or somebody better get a picture..it would be priceless for sure, and make a great pic for the SBS too.

Now if only we can get the Laurna Jo back in time.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: