The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD-25 deck cleats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: CD-25 deck cleats Reply with quote

We want two add two more cleats to our C-Dory 25. Does anyone know the original manufacturer and part number for the existing cleats, or know of a cleat that will match the originals.
Thanks
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric-

The cleats are polished stainless steel, and the type is "Herschoff" and the styling is pretty similar all around, except for some "modern" versions, and any design differences from manufacturer to manufacturer will be minimal, except as noted, i.e., "Modern".

Just buy them from some place that you can exchange them if you don't like the way they look when you get home.

Make sure you don't put them somewhere you'll trip over them on the way up to the front of the boat from the cockpit, etc.

I added a cleat on a raised area just forward of the beginning of the bulkhead and the cabin corner to get another cleat where it was somewhat out of the way, and would also serve to tie another fender, although I didn't pick it for style match so much, and optened for more modern, flatter cleat to keep it down, out of the way a bit more.

Later boats do not have this larger flat spot, I think, intended to keep the run-off and splash water out of the cockpit. This is a smaller, 4-inch cleat, as compared to the 6-inch gunnel cleats, and the 8-inch bow cleat.

It also works great to tie the double-sided bow line that I keep running down both sides of the boat to be handy when needed. This line must be kept short enough that, if dropped overboard accidentally, it can't reach and foul itself in the prop.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: perfect for bow mounting Reply with quote

Depending on where you mount them and what you are planning on using them for, you might want to look at this website for their "Cleat Chocks". These are perfect for bow mounting, for use in anchoring, moorage float or towing.

http://www.newfoundmetals.com/catalog/pg08.html

(hope this link works)

Harvey
SleepyC

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, what is the advantage of the CleatChocks?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of on the same lines I am looking for the grab handles on the outsides. I am looking at adding one of these to the right of the entry door for balance ect. Any ideas on brand. I know that WM caries several sizes however would like to match the stock ones.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Harvey, what is the advantage of the CleatChocks?

Warren

They can be used as both a chock and a cleat whereas std. cleats make lousy chocks.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Brenda wrote:
Kind of on the same lines I am looking for the grab handles on the outsides. I am looking at adding one of these to the right of the entry door for balance ect. Any ideas on brand. I know that WM caries several sizes however would like to match the stock ones.

Handrails at fisheriessupply.com

(Edited by TyBoo - link shortened)

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Brenda wrote:

The choice of handles is yours, just pick one that fits your hand and looks good to you. I like the teak wood ones, which I have on the boat, but they have to be kept up. I did mine with 9 coats of polyurethane in '92, and they still look good. Different style handles look better or worse in different positions and for different uses, too. Stainless, Wood, Plastic, Brass--lots of choices.

Here's another handle idea: I put two shorter plastic handles above the door to assist on stepping down from the gunnels into the floor, which can be a big step for us as we get older.

I use a Cosco plastic step stool in the corner near the bulkhead and gunnel junction corner to reduce the big step down into two more equal smaller steps. The handles give you something in the right direction and height to help you hold on to as you step down into the cockpit floor.

Great to hold onto in heavy weather when standing in the cockpit, too. Up there, they don't interfere with the door operation, either.

Some of these placement issues are very ergonomic, and you have to try them out to be sure they fit you, or to even understand how good they really are, which you can' t truly appreciate, until you do!

More ideas and photos-Yellowstone John's Far West II:

Handles, Handles, and More Handles! Handles everywhere!
Better than falling down on your arse or going for an unscheduled swim with Mother Nature, eh, Jim?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Edited by TyBoo (Pics rearranged to fit page)
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe

Those teak handles sure look nice, fortunately on the 2007 models there is a gunnel step about 2' long in the cockpit area, otherwise you are correct it is a very long step down. As we get used to the boat will start adding little things, right now the budget was blown just to pay for it, oh and it's first payment is due next week ouch!
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I am going to put in two SS grab handles on the top, front of the roof. I handle all the lines and fend off (The Admiral handles the boat when docking etc) and find myself wanting one on each side when I walk up towards the bow. It's on "The List" of things to do, but like Don & Brenda, I must take small steps due to a limited budget. Thumbs Down
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They can be used as both a chock and a cleat whereas std. cleats make lousy chocks.

Roger, thanks for answering Warren in my absence, and yes, you are right. Seems like a good use of space and the holes through the deck to me. I am looking at mounting them quite forward, (just behind the forward bow pulpit upright), where they can be used for a forward pull, either at anchor or mooring buoy.

Harvey
SleepyC
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I must take small steps due to a limited budget. Thumbs Down

I can certainly understand the limited budget, plus didn't you have a busted leg or something at B'ham that limited the size of your steps?

Speaking of Bellingham, anytime you are in the market for cleats, chocks, rails, and other hardware stuff, if you can get to Pacific Marine Supply you might save a whole bunch. They have a lot of used take-off stuff there, and 20 year old 316 Stainless shines up as good as new stuff. And it is probably made of better quality alloys.

RichardAK

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Hull, Deck and Fittings Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I am going to put in two SS grab handles on the top, front of the roof. I handle all the lines and fend off (The Admiral handles the boat when docking etc) and find myself wanting one on each side when I walk up towards the bow. It's on "The List" of things to do, but like Don & Brenda,

Just received two of the same stainless handrails AFI 74012 to install on the forward part of the roof of my CD-22. Got them from Amazon.com $34.23 and free shipping.

Richard in Fairbanks

localboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
localboy wrote:
I must take small steps due to a limited budget. Thumbs Down

I can certainly understand the limited budget, plus didn't you have a busted leg or something at B'ham that limited the size of your steps?

Touche'... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: