The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sound Absorbing Paint and Helm Bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill3558

City/Region: RIchmond Hill, Georgia
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pluto
Photos: Pluto
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Sound Absorbing Paint and Helm Bar Reply with quote

Greetings fellow Brats,

I recently made some improvements to Pluto that others may find helpful. First off a couple of coats of this paint made a huge difference in the cabin sound levels. I applied two coats to the cabin and V berth. Be sure to include the V berth. Doing just the cabin helped but I was very pleasantly surprised at the difference when I got around to doing the V berth as well. This is what I used:

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod150.html

Now the engine noise is just a muted hum when the door is closed.

Second improvement was a bar above the helm. It helps me get my fat ass in and out of the helm, and also gives you something to hold on to when you see the big one coming. Got it at West Marine for $38. I put a picture in Pluto's album.

See ya
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound Absorbing Paint and Helm Bar Reply with quote

Bill3558 wrote:
Greetings fellow Brats,

I recently made some improvements to Pluto that others may find helpful. First off a couple of coats of this paint made a huge difference in the cabin sound levels. I applied two coats to the cabin and V berth. Be sure to include the V berth. Doing just the cabin helped but I was very pleasantly surprised at the difference when I got around to doing the V berth as well. This is what I used:

Second improvement was a bar above the helm. It helps me get my fat ass in and out of the helm, and also gives you something to hold on to when you see the big one coming. Got it at West Marine for $38. I put a picture in Pluto's album.

See ya

Hello Bill3558,

How many gallons of the sound-reducing paint did you buy to do the two coats? The website says you can have it tinted - did you do that?

The Bimini trip sounds great!

Thanks,

/david
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

That sound-proofing paint isn't much more expensive that regular house paint at $32 a gallon or so!

A few years back B~C Ken heat and sound insulated his entire boat with a similar product, spraying it on with a "popcorn" sprayer. See:

Pain free insulation solution

Here's your nice handle/bar improvement:

Description: Makes it easier to swing in and out of the helm seat. And if you see a big wave coming, it gives you something to hold on to.

The older, heavier, and more awkward we get, the more handles we need! I add one or a pair here and there myself! We could actually start a thread on where to add extra handles and handholds for us old farts if we wanted to!!!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of being able to self adhense things to the fiberglass, can you still do that with this coating?
Bill3558

City/Region: RIchmond Hill, Georgia
State or Province: GA
Vessel Name: Pluto
Photos: Pluto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took about 2.5 gallons to do the interior of the boat. The finish is rough, off white which looks fine to me. Probably not good for stuff sticking to it.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put two heavy coats of Hytech SC-1000 acoustic paint inside our engine cover and used a digital sound meter before and after to see a even 2db sound reduction at planing speeds of 4-5k RPM. I used just under 1 quart for our 75hp cover and just brushed on each heavy coat in a few minutes.

(80.5 db down to 78.5 now at 4900 as an example)

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse

Last edited by Aurelia on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dup
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! never mind.
I had a completely different image when I read "Helm......bar". Wink Wink
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound Absorbing Paint and Helm Bar Reply with quote

Bill3558 wrote:
Greetings fellow Brats,

See ya

We used Richard Strattons Insulation product (similar to Mascoat) on our Tomcat 24. That product was sprayed on.

We would like to insulate the 255 now but prefer not to have to spray the product on due to the labor involved in masking everything off.

My question was whether the product you used can be applied without using a sprayer?
Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hytech SC-1000 product can simply be brushed on and has a very heavy build. Brushing onto a ceiling is even simple as it is just too thick to drip much.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: