V-berth memory foam?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boont Boater

City/Region: Berkeley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Aurora
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: V-berth memory foam? Reply with quote

I read in some earlier posts that some C-brats like to put 2" memory foam on the V-berth. That sounds like a good idea. It looks like a "topper" for a king size bed might almost cover the berth (a little short in the bottom corners). I'm wondering what others have done. Cut it down, order a custom mattress, or what?

Any input or other suggestions would be appreciated. A good night's sleep makes for a happy crew.

Thanks,

Jeff

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used an "eggshell" topper in C-Dory Naknek and found that it greatly improved V-berth comfort.

I now have a 2" memory foam pad to use in C/C Katmai. I expect the memory foam to be even more comfortable. Remove the V-berth mattress and use it as a template to trim the foam pad.

If you have an electric carving knife, it works very well to cut the foam.

Best,
Casey
The Villages, FL

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a king size memory foam and cut down the corners. Our previous memory foam was a 2", but when we looked around to replace it, all we could find was 1.5 and 3". We went for the 1.5 and could feel the difference. Still, it adds just that bit of cushiness that makes it very comfortable. We have also used a Travasak for when it's chilly and just sheets and a quilt for when it isn't. Joan plans to make a fitted sheet before our next trip.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
dahkota

City/Region: Bowie
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Choir Practice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first night I spent on Choir Practice was really rather horrible. My hips ached so bad I could barely crawl out of the berth. and I'm not large nor old! It reminded me of sleeping in a bus station or airport - I don't know why. So that evening, I came home and searched the C-Brats site for some help. The consensus I found was 3" memory foam that could easily be cut to fit. I could not wait for shipping - we were going out again the next weekend, so I went to my local department store who happened to be having a sale for 50% off (they typically over price everything, so it was about the same price with shipping from an internet store). Monday I bought the foam, Tuesday I went down to the boat and cut it right in the v-berth using a fillet knife (it cut easier than bread). This also allowed the foam to breathe for a few days - the chemical smell is a little overpowering at first. Saturday morning I brought a set of queen size sateen sheets with me and made the bed for Saturday night. It was a world of difference! I actually slept in because it was so comfortable. We've spent at least a dozen nights on the boat since and I actually look forward to it. Overlooking the awkwardness of shape, the v-berth is now probably one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in, definitely better than many hotel beds I have tried.

We haven't gotten the Travasak yet but it is definitely on our list of things to add to the boat, right after a dinghy and trim tabs. Thanks to the invaluable information on the C-Brats boards, our boat is fast becoming our weekend home.
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: V-Berth memory foam Reply with quote

We had our local custom foam furniture company make a memory foam mattress for our boat. It was quite expensive because of the covering we picked. The end result was wonderful sleeping with out the hassel of several pieces of bedding.

We have used a Travasak for many years. We still have the one we used in the C-Dory. They are worth the money. The sheets can be removed for washing and they come with matching pillow cases. We ordered the V-Berth one from West Marine.

Fred, Pat, and Mr. Grey(the cat)

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid around $60 for a 2" king pad from Overstock.com and cut it to fit. We just put a sheet over it and then the V-berth shaped "sack" blanket and sheet system.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the memory Foam, Marie does not. So I got a 1.5" memory pad, and she had a 1" regulary foam pad. We cut the regular foam pad to make up the area that the twin size memory foam did not cover.

I love sleeping on boats and sleep much better than at home. The Memory foam made it just a bit better. We used regular queen sized sheets on the C Dory25.

For the Tom Cat, we have a 2" queen memory foam for the entire bunk. Of course this is easier to make up, using fitted bottom sheets (Calif King, tucking in the excess.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Tom Cat, we replaced the OEM 4" foam with higher-quality, higher-density firmer foam, stuffed into the factory covers. Over that we laid a 2" soft high quality (not memory) foam mattress stuffed into a sunbrella cover. We use standard king sheets and tuck them around the foam topper. Works very well and is more comfortable than my home bed!

Under both layers of foam mattresses we put a couple sheets of drybunk that we replace a couple of times a season but I am considering replacing the drybunk with HyperVent.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Boont Boater

City/Region: Berkeley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Aurora
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. We just ordered a king size topper of 2" memory foam from Overstock.com.

We're looking forward to making a great experience even better.

Jeff
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boont Boater wrote:
Thanks for all the input. We just ordered a king size topper of 2" memory foam from Overstock.com.

We're looking forward to making a great experience even better.

Jeff

I used the wife's serated bread knife to cut it. Worked like a charm. Idea
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's well worth it for the comfort factor, but disagree on using the existing mattress for a template. The slope of the hull will allow you to go a few inches larger than the bottom layer.
I also used the triangular cut-offs glued together to make a comfy dog bed.
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the existing pad as a template. I didn't want the mattress, sheets etc touching [the walls] of the hull and if you saw my wife, we don't need the extra few inches. Wink
Kathi

City/Region: Glide
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Dory K
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: C,-dory sheets for 22ft cruiser Reply with quote

Need some feed back on sheets for 22ft c-dory cruiser ant ideas?
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we bought our CC23 the previous owner had a layer of lightweight egg crate foam on top of the standard foam cushions. We found that alone didn't make enough of a difference so we added a layer of 2" memory foam and then kept the egg crate layer of foam on top of that. So we use: (1) the original cushion, (2) the memory foam on top of that, and (3) the egg crate foam on top of the memory foam. While it sounds tall it really isn't because the egg crate is so thin. We have found the egg crate allows more air circulation than the memory foam, while not adding much depth. Sleeping is now quite comfortable. We trimmed both layers of foam to fit the V-berth area, using the original cushions as a template. While cutting memory foam can be a trick, using a standard electric carving knife makes it a snap, like cutting through butter. Just mind where your fingers are.... When you cut the foam, remember to angle the cut and make it wider than the original cushion since the hull widens as it extends upward. By the way, we generally kept the foam in one big piece, only cutting out a small section to use to cover for the porta potty insert.

As for sheets, Mary bought a nice high thread count set of sheets and then cut them larger than the foam cushions but still using the general V shape. She then stitched the top and bottom sheets together at the foot so the top sheet couldn't come loose and pull out. By tucking in the bottom sheet under the foam cushion, and with the bottom section stitched and tucked in, we have a most comfortable sleeping environment in the "forward stateroom."

Rob
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it take a king mattress topper to cover the 22 v berth? Want to make sure cause a lot of responses are from people with 23 Ventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: