View previous topic :: View next topic  
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: top rack & rod holders Reply with quote

C-Brats,
Well, it is finally under construction. all stainless. Deck plates will be diamond plate aluminum until I find something better. Pin seat will be in the middle with a detachable rail right around the seat. Rod boxes will be built for each side. With rod holders on the back end of the rack. to be used with out riggers.
Rod holders on bar across the back by the engines. I got some of the ideas for these, right here on the good old C-Brats spot. It is farther along than these pictures, I'll see if I can take photos tomorrow. Expected to weigh about 100 lbs plus.

Leaving for Florida on Thanksgiving day. Plan on cruising the gulf, keys and heading for the Bahamas in Feb. We have made reservations next door to Nippers on Iguana Cay for two weeks allowing familly to come down. We probably will need a shower by than, Huh? Laughing

Capt D

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
captd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: 1st pictures Page 8 of albums Hunky Dory#5&6 Reply with quote

Frame is just tack welded. It is much farther along than this. I will take some pictures tomorrow. Rocket launcher is done. side boxes to build yet.
They will hold either lots of rods or about four rods and reels together. Seven footers. The rack will carry a travel boot going to the Bahamas. Living aboard for a few weeks require a place to put things so they are out from under foot. Crossing the gulf stream, all will be down on the deck.

Capt D
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what effect that metal has on your radar picture. You might find out that you need to put the antenna up on a short pedestal, at least. Looks nice..

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
captd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: effect? Reply with quote

You are right Charlie, That why we had the rack extend forward, just in case. If it is a problem we would just put a bar across with a plate.
Capt D
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt D -

I like it. I like it a lot. The idea and the design are great, and I'm anxious to see the finished pics with the seat in place. The rod storage boxes will be perfect. Excellent project.

Only trouble is that when I went to look at the pictures, half the morning disappeared while I looked over all the other pics in your album - again. You really know how to use a boat.

Thanks for showing us.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Shocked Smile CPT D: BUSTED !!! I too got caught up in your pics… Great stuff. On the rack, looks great and can not wait for final finished product, with the same concern on the effects on the radar. Interested in that result. I too have a little roof work to do. Looking at installing an AC on the roof of FreeByrd. Too many real hot nights and very high humidity for good sleeping for 3 or 4 moths of the year without a little AC, especially if I ever plan to get Sherryl to stay overnight. Burned a lot of ice blowing the fan over an open cooler. Where did you take the 29Dec03 picture of the 22 catching the breaking wave in the surf on her starboard side? I just thought I was having a tuff day when towing FreeByrd thru the Redwood Forest in CA while avoiding the closed I-5 on the CA/OR border due to the snow storm… Made an average of 32mph for 12 hours travel time in the sleet, rain, fog, TREES…and very narrow winding turns… I had a good day. How long do you plan to stay in the Bahamas next spring? I would like to make that trip with another D-Dory owner at some point. Byrdman
captd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brydman,
That picture was in Rincon de Guayabitoes in Mexico. Mooring came apart.
We will be in the Bahamas for about a month and a half this time. You would love it. Much better than Mexico.
Capt D
captd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Brats,
Plates are to be screwed in today. should be mounted on boat today. Maybe no time to build the rod boxes, but I have 5 inch by 5 inch fiber glass boxes that I can bungee on for this year. About the same color as the boat. Can either go on top or up under the wings.

Gee it is fun to add goodies to the C-Dory. I hope it works out good. I don't think it is too heavy. Site fishing on top is only done in pretty flat water. I will try to get a good weight estimate on the whole affair. The detachable cage around the fisherman won't weigh much.
Good possibility I'll have to raise the radar.
When it is all done, I will take pictures with the ladder and pin seat in place. Sometime this week I hope.
Capt D
Byrdman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if you will be returning prior to me being able to get over to Bahamas. Do keep me posted and updated on your trip. James on Molly Brown makes that trip. Looks like some of your fishing pictures are for sure in the back of a TomCat. Be careful on topside.... gravity always wins Mr. Green Mr. Green ... I like what you are doing and look forward to seeing more pics and updates. I would love to be able to mount a couple of chairs top side on FreeByrd for summer night cruising with the remote control to the auto pilot in hand. I love to just put one motor in gear, turn up some music, enjoy the stars and a beverage Beer Beer or two. Had been looking at making a "Box" to put a cooler cusion on the front deck, but why stop there when you can go up top. Watch those weight ratio's as you and your gear go above the center weight line, but you are more than likely all over that. You could always just fill a barrell on its side in the cockpit floor if the numbers get too close for some quick, cheap, easy removable weight.
captd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman,
You know, I have been told that my idea won,t work, but after walking around the side to go forward many many times. With just me on the boat, it really feels stable to me. I don't expect to put a lot of weight up there for fishing. extra rods and reels plus gaff. Maybe extra clothes or beer heading for the Bahamas. (It use to be $18.00 a six pack) . Probably worse now. It will be nice just to have a place to put things before bed time.
I weigh 250 lbs. If a boat is loaded with 52 gals gas and live bail tank is full (20 gal) plus carrying another 20 gal of fresh water, plus grocerys. plus wife. ( She is movable ballast.) I think it will work just fine. Guy can always take some weight down in a pinch.
I'll report back even if it is embarrassing.

Hey you better gets some pictures in your album.

Capt D
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that you want extra storage and it looks like you did a good job, but what the hell is a seat doing on the roof???????
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that the seat is for sight fishing or spotting fish or birds.
I am following this thread with interest...
I would not operate the radar if ANYONE were topside, period.
Can we get a pic of it installed with the "boarding ladder" in place?
Do you have a mount for the boarding ladder off the bow? I have been thinking about this idea too....
I'd love to pick your brain about traveling Mexico and abroad.
Maybe we can get together or share contact info?
I have a sabatical coming up (8 weeks off with pay) and have not yet planned anything.... well not firmly anyway.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
captd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cold water fishermen,
Sight fishing is correct. Cobia in particular. Red fish another. On the Gulf from Panama City, all the way down ( the whole Gulf and Atlantic coast) you will see all kinds of setups for spotting Cobia. I have seen row boats with step ladders duct taped down to the seat.
Cobia swim right under the surface close into the surf and around any large floating object. You need to get as high as possible to see them. These fish run 70 to 100 lbs and are fierce fighters. Red fish do what they call "tailing" Being high is a big advantage. They can weight 20 to 30 lbs. Both are good eating. That seat is an ajustable up or down as well as a leaning post. The back side is cupped. Being a pin seat, you can pick it right up and use it in another spot like in the cockpit or up on the bow. The seat is only up on top when fishing for these kind of fish. And maybe to have an beer in the evening before bed time A small railing will surround that seat when fishing and it is removed just as easy. Next picture will show boarding ladder right up from the cockpit to the seat.
I can understand the skeptisism from people who fish in the Great North West. That water is cold. Where I fish it would feel kind of good to fall in from time to time. I was looking at the Red Fox's album and how magnificent. His pictures are truly a work of art. One thing that caught my eye immediately was all that Ice and snow in them. I wouldn't have a seat on top living there. I was raised in Minnesota and have lived in Montana for about 40 years. At my age I need to fish and swim where it is warm.

We spend a lot of time living aboard and carry too much junk. This rack allows us to put a pod on top and get things out from under foot. Once we get on the Banks in the Bahamas a little extra weight on top won't hurt. Crossing the Gulf Stream, all weight will be in the bottom of the boat.

We have crossed the Stream, probably 15 to 20 times and would enjoy any C-Dory couple that would like to travel with us. We know the Abacos very well. We would share any info with any Member, on Bahamas or Mexico.

Capt D
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPT D: Always remember that THE most succesful boat of our world was built by one man, Noah. And to the other extreme, one of the largest failures was the Titanic, built by several teams of the best educated engineers!! GO FOR IT !! Exclamation Exclamation Working on put'n some pics in albumn. Just changed duty assignments and have most pics at home. Will give it a shot with what I have.
Byrdman
captd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brydman,
You are right about some of my pictures, they are from a Tom Cat. Fred bought his Boat in Crystal River, Fla. I fished with him in his boat a few times in Rincon, Mexico . He had it down there for the last two years. That one was a tough boat to launch and tougher yet to pick it up. All over sand. With a floaton trailer, you have to get way out in the water.
Capt D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: