The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Dolly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Trailer Dolly Reply with quote

Having just noticed on the Arima site a question regarding "trailer dollys", I decided to "plagiarize" the same topic on this site.

Are any C-Brats using a "manual trailer dolly" to maneuver their C-Dory and trailer around on a concrete floor? If so, does it work well for you? (With the standard "trailer wheel jack", it is not only precarious at best, it is difficult to move the trailer with it).

(The Northern Sales Tool and Equipment catalog has a 600 LB capacity trailer dolly that I am considering purchasing, so I don't have to hitch on to the truck or tractor to swing the boat and trailer around in the shop).

If I'm not mistaken one of our members has a "motorized trailer dolly", but I don't have a real interest to go that "route".

C-Brat #16
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-

Here are some thoughts on the subject:

1. This is the one instance where a tandem trailer is a disadvantage over a single axle. The extra friction encountered when turning adds quite a bit to the energy required to position the boat if you're going more than backwards and forward on smooth concrete. With either type of trailer, the several hundred pounds of tongue weight is a difficult part of the equation plus the overall weight, friction, etc.

2. Flat and smooth surface area = ok. Soft ground, gravel = no. Uphill-Ha! Downhill-watch out!!! (I know you know this, but just exploiting the humor.)

3. Especially with a tandem rig, the height of the ball on the dolly ought to be at the "level tongue" towing height.

4. Can't really say about the single axle rig, but my tandem can be moved with considerable difficulty. If all you need is fore and aft movement, maybe a jack with a larger wheel would do the trick. I wouldn't be going more than a few yards with a trailer dolly, however.

5. Depending on where you're going and how much room you have to maneuver, a ball mounted on the front of your tow vehicle works great to push the trailer rig around, but you need room for the tow vehicle, too. A trailer hitch/welding shop can do this for$100-$200, but I understand JC Whitney makes a bumper clamp hitch for cheap that will do the job.

Probably a lot more to this, but have to go for now! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Don't run out and buy that dolly just yet. I have one I got from Cabela's when we bought the Lynn Marie that I can sell for a lot less than you can get one from Northern Tool for. I got the 600# model but it just isn't good on my black top driveway with the tongue wait I had. The other thing it needed was to have the ball modified to get it up where the normal trailer height is. That meant welding that I never got around to. My guess is that a nice smooth garage floor would be a lot better than my black top so it might be fine.

Tim

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Dolly Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:

If I'm not mistaken one of our members has a "motorized trailer dolly", but I don't have a real interest to go that "route".

That would be me...got the Power Caster PC-1. I'll suggest you reconsider the manual route...

First, as has been pointed out already, a tandem trailer is a beast to move around manually. There's no way, even on smooth level concrete, that moving around a 22 on a tandem is going to be easy. Back and forth, maybe...turning it, forget it.

The PC-1 is just barely adequate for my needs - were I to do it again, I'd get a larger model with dual wheels. On the flat sections of my concrete driveway/path to back yard, it's more than adequate. However, when I first disconnect it from the trailer, it's just slightly uphill - it barely pushes the boat up, mostly because the wheel spins.

As far as turning the boat goes - with a power dolly, the disadvantage of a tandem trailer is almost completely eliminated. I can turn the boat/trailer on a dime.

They are not cheap...I got mine used, and still paid $500. Another company that makes them is Powermovers - link is here. Still, for moving a trailer around in tight quarters, they work very well.

I'll also second Joe's front-mount hitch suggestion, if that is an option for you. You don't get anywhere near the manuverability of the electric dolly, but you get far more than with a rear mounted hitch. I've got one on my truck, and it works well.

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the front hitch receiver -- I love having it. It also provides a secure point of attachment on the front the front of the vehicle in case you get stuck. Many vehicles come with one, but my van did not.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS, I got just the deal for you. At school we have some paper roll carriers that we're trying to get rid of. For about $1200 you could have a Cat 3208 powered trailer mover that would allow you to just drive over the boat and trailer, pick up the whole shebang and drive off. While not in service as a trailer mover, you could use them as a portable garrage...these bad boys are bigger than Rogers trailer mover Smile
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I bought the trailer dolly that has two small (small as in the size you would find on a very inexpensive lawn mower) wheels on each side of the axle. I'm not sure the carrying capacity as it was the last one the store had and they were selling it cheap. It works well with small and light trailers but not with the single axle EZ Loader I have for the C-Dory. The ball height is too low and the wheels come off in a turn. My Dad bought the trailer dolly that has one large wheel (the size you find on a decent wheel barrow) on each side and it works quite well for all his boat trailers, although as others have said, the two axle trailer is difficult to turn.

"Chivita" Dave
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the "rest of the story"..........Tim ("Lynn Marie") was kind enough to spend a great portion of a Saturday dismantling and boxing up his super trailer dolly and shipped it to me. (It has been reported to me, that he even found it necessary to consume at least a couple of Snoqualamie Falls Brewsky during the packing process). Thank You, Tim!

Unfortunately, as others have alluded to, the 22' Cruiser with a tandem wheel trailer is too heavy for me to even move the vessel on my "glass smooth" shop floor.

However, having previously owned a 16' Cruiser on a single axle trailer, I would suspect that this would be a dandy adjunct to own. If that is something that would interest anyone, then you may contact Tim.

As to other solutions to my dilemma. I do have a front hitch receiver on my 6 X 6 flatbed truck, which would certainly work, with the exception that a front hitch mount on a truck does not provide the maneuverability room at the shop doors that I desire.

Probably my "best bet" is to do what I've considered doing for years......set up a detachable hitch ball on the front end loader of my Kubota tractor.

I sincerely appreciate all of the comments this site has generated! What a fine group to be a member of!!! Smile
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, For what you need would car dollies work? We use them in our garage to move cars around in tight spaces with great ease. As long as the floor is smooth and flat, they let us move a car in any direction with little effort. Even sideways. http://www.aaarims.com/car-dolly.shtml
We did not buy from this company, but it is the only picture that I could find.
We use another type of dolly that is called an Eastwood Rolling Car Jack. It has it's own jacking mechanism built in. More costly, but pretty slick.
Just another thought. Crook Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberta Krumm wrote:
Dave, For what you need would car dollies work? Robbi

Thanks Robbi, .........certainly something to consider! CoolSmile
Physalia

City/Region: Bend
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Trailer dolly Reply with quote

Hi brats - Noticed an article in the local paper today that I thought I would pass on - A couple of local Bend, Oregon residents have developed and are starting to market a motorized trailer mover that may be of interest to someone out there. It is pretty spendy though (around $2000 I think). Anyway, you can check them out at www.withoutahitch.net. Really enjoy this site. Looking forward to the day I can quit lurking and start participating!!
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Motorized boat movers. Reply with quote

Up here in Canada we have a cool store called Princess Auto. I noticed in their recent flyer that they were selling a motorized trailer dolly good for 5000lb. for 399.00 CDN They also do online selling. e-mail for flyer download is www.princessauto.com
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ball on the tractor idea...
I have a Kubota that has a ball mounted on my 3 pt hitch.
I use it extensively. The tractor has more than enough power and has a ultra tight turning ability. The ball is offset back about 4 inches and I can even "jacknife" the trailer with no ill effects to make very tight turns.

I need to read how to post a picture...

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those too on my Kubota 24HP tractor. It's a 3pt hitch rig that can take the regular hitch bar with a 2" square receiver. It'll lift the hitch right up and is extremely maneuverable. A little expensive though at >$20K.

It does other things of course...

This is what I call a "Tractor Dolly". Actually she's one of Tom's (OTTER) cute little girls, taken at our 2004 Potomac River Gathering.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Dave
If you give me a week or so I will be able to help you out with fabricating a hitch on your tractor . we can figure what steel you will need and then a couple hours of cutting and welding and voila, you will have a fine boat mover

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: