The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiper fuse keeps blowing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Wiper fuse keeps blowing Reply with quote

My port side wiper fuse (5 amp) blows a few seconds after the switch is turned on. The wiper starts moving, goes through no more than one cycle, and fuse blows. The wiper is not binding- I have checked that already. The wiper brand is AFI.

This is the wiper "movement" fuse, not the wiper "parking" fuse.

Before I start dis-assembling everything, thought I would check to see if anyone has a simple answer Confused

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen last year. the fuse is popping because the motor is working to hard and can’t move because ( I know bad English and sentence structure but have to make a point of cause and effect) the shaft of the wiper is corroded with rust in side or dirt. I pulled mine apart but was not able to save it, too much rust and corrosion . Throw it away and get another one.

p.s. I was able to move the shaft by hand but the motor could not.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try a little lube and a slightly larger fuse to let it run long engough to make things work freely. If you need a new motor/unit anyway, you've got little to lose!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before our wiper motor quit completely, the fuse blew a few times. Just what my buddy Tom was saying... an indication that the motor was working too hard. And when you replace the motor, you can set the arc to cover more of the window (maybe it already does on the TomCat, but it sure didn't on our 25)... more is mo betta.

Best wishes,
Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem as Tom, with other boats. These shafts are not that well sealed, and if you get salt and grit into the shaft--they blow the fuse. Try cleaning first.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will put…. clean and inspect wiper assemble…..to my annual maintenance list.

Thanks for the heads up Very Happy

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a starboard wiper motor replaced on warranty. It's blade was corroded on and the shaft needed to be sawed.

Which means sometime in the future I might need another wiper.

Does anyone have a brand other than these noisy clumbsy wiper motors that the factory installed? Are there some choices? Pretty bad to have wiper motors that are louder than the outboard!

Dave
Alok

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I will report back on my findings after I take the wiper assembly apart, just to complete the conversation.
Noreaster

City/Region: Wallace
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Nor'easter
Photos: Nor'easter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work as an Aircraft electrician/Avionics mechanic and would just say, never use a larger fuse than is already installed. The circuits are usually fused to protect the wiring. NOT the motor. You could overheat your wire and melt the insulation, possibly starting a fire. As for trouble shooting, you can put an amp meter on the positive lead of your good motor to determine the current draw and do the same on the other, then compare the draw before it blows. Also try swapping motors from one side to the other to see if the problem goes away/follows. That would eliminate wiring as the issue. Good Luck!
Cker

City/Region: Columbia
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Wonder products Reply with quote

Learned a long time ago about two products that I wouldn't be without (on a boat, on a truck, etc.). The first was a tiny can of Never-Seez, I got it from a Snap-On truck dealer and the second was Sil-Glyde - silicone greast, sticky, heavy grease that is almost impossible to wash off or wear off a shaft. If you can tear the wiper motor down to get to the shaft, clean it, polish a little with nylon pad or crocus cloth and apply never-seez. Lightly apply sil-glyde to the innards. Maybe not a permanent fix but it will extend the life of such things.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wonder products Reply with quote

Cker wrote:
Learned a long time ago about two products that I wouldn't be without (on a boat, on a truck, etc.). The first was a tiny can of Never-Seez, I got it from a Snap-On truck dealer and the second was Sil-Glyde - silicone greast, sticky, heavy grease that is almost impossible to wash off or wear off a shaft. If you can tear the wiper motor down to get to the shaft, clean it, polish a little with nylon pad or crocus cloth and apply never-seez. Lightly apply sil-glyde to the innards. Maybe not a permanent fix but it will extend the life of such things.

Sil-Glyde sounds like another brand of silicone grease, commonly also marketed as Super Lube, in cartridges for grease guns for $7 or so (I bought a tube for $5 eight years ago, and am still using the original cartridge.)

We used in in science labs as a high vacuum sealer for bell jars and the like. It has no vapor pressure, meaning it doesn't evaporate, therefore stays around forever, and doesn't, for the same reason, smell, either.

I used it on just about everything because it stays put and lubricates forever. Bolt and screw threads, marine hardware, prop threads, trailer balls, you name it.

It also can be used to coat your hands (lightly) before you paint, as the paint peals off when it dries, not bonding to your skin. It will also protect you from harsh detergents, etc.

Just be careful when substituting it for a petroleum based grease in bearings. I haven't used it in applications like trailer bearings, as I don't know if it's suitable as a substitute for heavily loaded bearings and high temperatures. It might be superior, but I'd have to call their technical rep. and ask first.

Try it, you'll like it!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow-up:

I disassembled the wiper assembly. Did not see any corrosion, and the motor worked fine once I had taken everything apart. Cleaned it up, reassembled, re-installed. Looks like its working OK, at least for now. Perhaps something was binding because of misalignment.

A few tips for anyone who may have a similar assembly and may have to take the wiper apart. My wiper has a pantographic arm, with the wiper blade arm and an additional rod.

1. Flip open the plastic cap that covers the part of the wiper attached to the shaft. Underneath are TWO setscrews that hold the wiper on to the knurled knob at the end of the wiper shaft. These are an absolute pain to get to. Also, one of my small METRIC Allen wrenched seemed to fit the setscrews better than a standard Allen wrench.

Once I had the setscrews loosened, I sprayed PB Blaster (I prefer that to WD-40) at the shaft attachment and gave it a few minutes. I was then able to work the wiper off the shaft with a minimum of cussing.

2. The shaft length for my wiper assemply is 2 inches (the motors come with a variety of shaft lengths).

I suspect that the non-pantographic AFI arms have only a single setscrew- at least, that was true for the replacment I saw in West Marine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: