The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need some Mariner brand engine advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Need some Mariner brand engine advice Reply with quote

Going friday to do a possible trade (not trading our C Dory) for a package boat deal that includes a 140hp V6 Mariner jet drive outboard (1997). I'll be checking compression, on the water test run, and water pump flow, but otherwise I know nothing about jet drives or Mariner engines. Does anybody know of any perks, known issues, ect, concerning Mariner engines or jet drives?
From what I can gather, this engine is essentially a 200hp prop model labeled as a 140 due to the fact that it is a factory jet drive.
The boat (a 24' SeaArk Super Jon CC) and trailer are worth more than what I'm trading, so the engine is icing on the cake, and will likely be sold and replaced with another engine that I own....but I still need to do my best to establish general condition.
TIA!

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: mariner eng Reply with quote

The Mariner line of outboards was a joint venture with Mercury and Yamaha This brand was mostly sold overseas From 40hp down pure yamaha from 50 hp up it was mercury . Yamaha got better metals and corrosion protection and prop work mercury got 4strokes from yamaha the 50,75,90,and the 225 were all yamaha's with mercury badging They broke up the honeymoon when mercury said that yamaha was dumping motors on the US .Now Mercury has Verado's and their 4strokes

I'm not sure about the 200hp or 140 jet I think it was a 2.4 litre ?Find out what yr and then look up mercury it will be the same engine just painted grey with mariner badging

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
snal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that...and googled it...just got me links to repair manuals. Googled reviews for the engine and got nothing worth reading. Most of my knowledge and experience with 2 strokes is with the Evinrude/Johnson family, but none with jet drives.
Appreciate the advice though!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all jet drives are built and supplied by one builder for all outboards, they are also almost bullet proof. you do have to look at the impeller to make sure it is not dinged and that the clearance is right. if the clearance is to much you loose horse power. Good thing is that you can adjust it back to tight again. There are several web site on the subject with directions on how to do this. Also grease the lower unit everytime you use it.
snal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
all jet drives are built and supplied by one builder for all outboards, they are also almost bullet proof. you do have to look at the impeller to make sure it is not dinged and that the clearance is right. if the clearance is to much you loose horse power. Good thing is that you can adjust it back to tight again. There are several web site on the subject with directions on how to do this. Also grease the lower unit everytime you use it.

Thanks Tom...owner says that the bearings in the jet drive were replaced last year, and a new SS 4 blade impeller was installed. I'll be sure to grease it before we test, as it has been sitting for at least a year.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From our experience those were pretty good motors . Be ready to support the petroleum industry . Pick one brand of gas and buy stock in that company if you are going to run it alot . If it has oil injection , have it removed and mix . When the oil injection quits ,your engine is toast in seconds.
Marc
Here's your jet Mfg OUTBOARD JETS

snal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
From our experience those were pretty good motors . Be ready to support the petroleum industry . Pick one brand of gas and buy stock in that company if you are going to run it alot . If it has oil injection , have it removed and mix . When the oil injection quits ,your engine is toast in seconds.
Marc
Here's your jet Mfg OUTBOARD JETS

Thanks Marc!
One of my first questions to the owner was "has the oil injection system been removed?"...it has not.
Is this something that you can tell me how to do? I'm assuming that it's not just a matter of plugging oil lines. This is why my pontoon has an Evinrude 88 SPL!
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a mechanic and don't know the ins and outs of Mercs either as we don sell them . I just know we see alot of older Mariners still running . There is some kind of oil pump to disconnect , I know its a simple job on most motors . Find a parts breakdown and you should be able to figure it out .
Could poke around here

Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: