The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kaboat too long for 25 cruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastnlight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Kaboat too long for 25 cruiser Reply with quote

We are in the process of buying a 25 cruiser! Shopping for a dinghy and the Kaboat 12' seems very appealing from a weight and use perspective for two adults and a toddler. Does anyone have one of these boats and how would you rate the stability compared to a wider inflatable. At 12 feet, how well would it fit/ride on the roof of a 25 (haven't measured it yet)? I will not be trailering so transporting would only be by water. Also, I like the looks of the Minn Kota Riptide 55s trolling motor for the Kaboat and does anyone have experience with that motor? Does anyone use a freshwater electric trolling motor on a dinghy in the salt and do you have corrosion issues?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Greg and Cindie
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a 14' Soars Canoe on top of my CD22 here is a pic

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A C-dory 25 is a great cruiser. If that's what you're getting , you've made an excellent choice.

Journey On has a bimini over the cockpit, which precludes top loading anything from the cockpit. And Judy's first act when it's launched is to put the bimini up. So, one could load a inflatable/kayak from the bow. We have a 11.5' inflatable which is listed at 80# and I'm not going to try lifting it over the bow. The ad for the Kaboat 12 doesn't mention its weight, so be sure to check it.

An electric motor seems a great way to go. I'm not sure what size battery would provide enough cruising time, but consider that lead acid batteries are heavy. A group 27 weighs what, 50 lbs? And unless you get an (expensive) AGM, there's the chance of spilling acid in the dingy. And they're slow to recharge, which would seem necessary after a trip or two. I know that it's not considered green, but small outboards are light, run a long time on a gallon of gas, and the recharge consists of pouring gas into the fuel tank. A gallon lasts us a week, cause we go slow.

Good luck, Boris
fastnlight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listed weight for a 12ft Kaboat is 48lbs. That light weight is a big part of the appeal for us.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 14ft Kaboat and carried it on my CD22 in the San Juan Islands recently. The 14ft will take up to an 8hp motor. I have a 6hp Tohatsu that also doubles as an emergency kicker for the CD22.

With the 6hp on the Kaboat it will plane with two people. I used my gps and we could do about 14 mph with two. Alone I could get up to 17mph. The boat runs very well at 10mph with one or two on board.

It does take a little getting used to. The boat does feel less stable, especially with two. By myself I sat in the bottom of the boat (not on the seat) and I could turn the boat in a hard turn. One side of the boat will lift a little but it seems to just slide or skid after a certain point. I do think that if you worked at it you could capsize the boat over with a 6hp.

The 14ft weighs 58lbs and I would not want to have anything heavier. I do have a method to get the boat from the water onto the top standing on the bow. Also to get it off the top and it is not as hard as I though it might be. I use a lifting davit to transfer the 6hp from the CD22 to the dinghy.

I have rowed it about a half mile and it seems to row very well compared to my last dinghy. It has skegs on the tubes and is easy to keep headed straight. I also tried it with a kayak paddle and that works well.

I bought the 14ft because I wanted to use the 6hp on it. So far I am pleased. I think the 12ft would also be a fun boat and would move very well with one of the smaller motors.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Hey, is that you Roger?)

Web site: http://www.kaboat.net/

Very interesting inflatable that uses the advantages of a long length to narrow width ratio for efficiency through the water. Might be my next inflatable if/when my WM raft kicks the bucket...

Hey Steve (and anyone else), have you found a good DC inflator that'll put out about 4psi? Seems there's a big hole in the market for a good inflator for non-commercial use (i.e., other than 110VAC).

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I have not looked for an inflator yet. I am still using the hand pump and it does take some time. I am not sure I can inflate the Kaboat while on the CD22. I don't think there is room but it could probably be done some way.

For some reason the builders put the inflation valves for the tubes at the front of the boat and the valve for the floor at the rear. I inflate at the bock or launch ramp and load before going out.

Steve
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Steve, plus I'd love to see it someday. I was just at WM and saw they had a couple of new (to me) respectable pumps in their line (WM brand not mfr). For $80 they have an AC model that will pump to 3.0psi, that's very decent and should fully inflate most PVC rafts, not sure about the hyperlon ones. I couldn't find the wattage req'd, but know my 400W inverter wouldn't handle it, so I passed on that.

They also had a small one for $30 (DC) that pumped to a rated 1.0psi and decent volume, which is enough to the raft and other toys pretty much inflated then top off with the foot pump. I bought that one for now.

Pumping by foot is fine most of the time, but when you add 2 blow-up kayaks with a bazillion chambers, it gets a bit old sometimes...(ha).
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry one of those sealed small battery deals that come with built in jumper cables, 12v outlet, small compressor, etc. (they are sold for getting a dead car started.) I also have a French or Italian-made pump from one of the river boat companies that comes with alligator clips for power. I clip it onto the battery I was describing, and it works well to inflate my dink. I have also connected the pump to my truck battery when it was close enough. The boat battery is in an inconvenient location, but it could be done.

I also have an excellent hand pump that I recommend highly. See it here.

THIS is not the electric pump I have but it is a good one.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a:

Bravo Superturbo BST 12 HPP Air Pump
12v 10amp max
Large air flow: 500 l/min

And I installed a 12 receptacle in one of the coaming pockets next to a battery.

One of the best moves I ever made. It not only pumps up the Achilles dinghy, but also pumps up the inflatable floor (3.5 psi,) as well as deflates everything. And it's so easy to use, Judy now pumps up the dinghy, after I get it spread out in the cockpit. Hey if she wants to do it, I'm not going to argue. Actually, it's holding the hose and pushing a button.

It's pricey, but I found a good price on the internet. It came with a sealed battery, but I pulled that out and put a 12 V plug on the end.

Boris
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Xantrex XPower Powerpack 400 Plus - 120 VAC/60 Hz which includes a 250 PSI Air compressor.

They're roughly $100.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/61/p/1/pt/29/product.asp

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Bravo Superturbo BST 12 HPP Air Pump

Thanks, Boris -- that is the pump I have, whose name I could not remember.

When you use this pump, do you use it with the valves closed, forcing air past them, or do you open the valves and then try to get them closed real fast after taking the hose out of the valve? I have been doing the former but wonder if there is a technique for doing the latter.

Warren
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo looks to be a pretty good mfr of all types of pumps. I have the Bravo 12V pump (~$100) just under the Turbo model (~$175) that Boris and others have. It did a good job for a couple of years, then one of the plastic "mumps" cracked. I believe I can get a replacement part. But, it was fairly low volume, took quite a while (10 min +) to inflate my 8' 6" raft, and it was NOISY. When you turned on the pump, best to stop all conversations...! It also vibrated quite a bit, had to put your foot on it or it would 'dance' off the boat.

The Bravo Turbo model should be much better with it's sound insulation and completely different pump mechanism. Evidently, you get what you pay for, I'll start saving up my pennies...

Thanks all for the information!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bravo 12 HPP is an excellent pump and can be utalized for a 11.5 PSI high pressure floor boat if possible. It basically has two stages--one is high volume, and will blow an inflatable in a couple of minutes. Then it goes into its adjustable stage--and you can set the pressure with a dial from 2.5 PSI on up to 11.5 PSI. 4.5 PSI is one of these settings. This is a higher quality pump and will last for many years.

The recharbable low volume pumps are not really suitable for inflatables, The volume is just too low--air matress maybe OK...

If you have SS bows on a Bimini, especially with a 4 bow system, you can rest the back of a longer inflatble on the top of the bimini. I would put a piece of soft foam between the inflatable and the top, to prevent any chafe.

Electric trolling motors. If you use the salt water series, and wrinse them off, then they will last a long time. The biggest problem is the battery, and how to recharge it when cruising. If you are only going to use the trolling motor for a day or two--then you can charge it off a 110 volt charger. It can be very hard on the battery, trying to charge it in parallel with the larger engine or house battery of the C Dory, off the 12 volt system. (one should only charge batteries of like size on the charging circuit)

I took our 12 foot aluminum boat with has a 48 lb thrust salt water series trolling motor (8 years old and still working well) along this week when taking the grand kids cruising. I also had a 3.5 hp outboard. The trolling motor will give about 3 knots, and several hours total time--but this is with two golf cart batteries (220 amp hours). A 40 hour AGM battery (such as a tractor or PWC battery) would only give you hald an hour use at full power, and slightly longer at lower speeds. Back to my warning about enough power if the wind comes up--with an inflatable (no matter how narrow) you can be in trouble with the low HP motor. OK if you are never in wind or current.

I recommend an AGM battery, since you don't want to spill the acid of a conventional flooded battery in an inflatable! Also you need a small battery because of the weight. I have used the small batteries as starting batteries on 15 and 25 hp outboards on inflatables, with no problems, but would not use a lead acid battery.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: First good test Reply with quote

Well, I conducted a second and more lengthy test of my electric system on sunday and it gave me the best data so far. I am not an electrical expert and this info is not highly scientific.

I bought a Minn Kota 55lb thrust Riptide saltwater motor and an Optima 55 amp hour AGM battery which is the size of a normal car battery in a carry case. We use it on our 12ft kaboat dinghy http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks_sk396.asp which fits my required 2.5 passengers. We used it for 1.5 hours at various speeds (usualy less than 50% thrust) averaging 2 knots and covering 3.46 miles about half with the wind and half against it. That took the battery down to 80% on my good meter at home. Deep cycle AGM (absorbed gas mat/ nothing to spill) batteries can safely be discharged to about 50% (depending on what you read) before negatively impacting future charging. That would give me roughly 3.75 hours/8.5 miles of range in my dinghy before my battery should be spared. The top speed with this motor on the Kaboat is about 4.5 knots and was enough to battle the current racing out of Vaughn bay on Sunday. I do carry a little 2lb backup 4 amp hour spare battery that gives me about 15 minutes of reserve power or can be used alone to go to shore and back without dealing with the heavier main battery.

The experiment is a success! This will be plenty of power for our dinghy needs. You could spend the same battery money on a larger regular deep cycle lead acid battery and get nearly double the range for a 15-20lb weight penalty. Best thing is a complete lack of any noise. You can only tell its running when you put your hand on it or stare at it closely to see it buzzing.

Very nice with a total price of $580 with both batteries and a quality charger. I plan to use my inverter/and/or my honda eu1000 to recharge the battery on longer trips.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: