The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions re hot surge brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
Can anyone give me specs / where to purchase a diode that is appropriate for The electric Lock out modification?

Yes, Here is a diode which will prevent the back up lights from coming one when you put a cut out switch on the lock out circuit.

One would only want to use this with a steep down grade, and with the option that you can always kick the brakes back on with flipping the switch.

You don't really need this large a diode, but on the other hand, it is not expensive and designed for a similar application.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I am glad I came across this thread. I think this mod will work good for me.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you are very close --
Quote:
"As I understand Harvey's proposal, he will keep the surge brakes on the rear axle. If he has a long down grade, he will put the pin back in the surge coupler, to disable the surge brakes, and possible overheating of the disc/hub/grease. There is no controller for surge brakes, they only work by the truck braking (engine or brakes), and the forward pressure of the weight of the trailer allows the coupler to slide forward, putting pressure in the hydraulic cylinder, thus slowing the trailer.

The in cab controller is controlled by the truck's braking system, or can be controlled manually. For any load over 6800# in parts of Canada a system which has in cab braking control is mandatory. The electro magnetic brakes will be used by Harvey when descending grades. When he is back on the level, and not backing, the lock out pin on the surge blade coupler will be removed and the surge brakes will then be in play.

Can it be done? Certainly. The issue I see is the forgetting to put the pin in or pull the pin out. Maybe a red flag on the steering wheel as a reminder????"

But in stead of a pin to completely lock out the surge system, just use the manual in cab control to add brake. That would hold the trailers weight off the surge activator. On very long descents, the manual electric could provide braking and then be switch off to allow the surge to take the load, then go back to the manual. This would allow both systems to have a cooling period IF, the surge would release enough off the disc to allow that.

Right now, as I understand it the surge system does not have a release from the disc and continues to drag, just does not apply braking force top the disc.

Since I only have brakes on one axle now, I need to upgrade to both axles. This seems like a reasonable way to go. Maybe.....???

No pin to pull or forget, and braking can be done with either or both systems simultaneously.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I am a little surprised that your discs are dragging. Any drag applies breaking force, and heats up the rotors. You should not really need much trailer braking force. I didn't with the GMC Yukon XL, the Ford Excursion Diesel, and certainly not now with the engine exhaust brake/transmission retarder on the F 250.

I don't know how much "cooling off" there would be if your brakes are dragging. The brake pads will wear.

I thought the idea was to avoid the heat build up in the surge brakes..What you are doing is all braking is done with trailer brakes???--if you are constantly dragging the electric solenoid brakes.

Heck give it a try--but be sure and put on a good wash down system to get all of the drum and wiring clear of salt water....
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes are supposed to get hot folks. With that said calipers do stick and it could very well be the problem if they are getting hot for no apparent reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: