The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions re hot surge brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicC

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Denali
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" are not designed to retract from the rotor, only to not apply an increased pressure. So, there is always some drag there. "

I agree. I was told that there is some run-out on the rotor by design. It is this "high" spot on the rotor that will push back the pad/piston when there is no hydraulic pressure applied. When my actuator is not hung-up, my wheel will spin freely with a little noticeable drag. But when my actuator hangs up, even though it is pulled all the way forward, my brakes are engaged and I cannot spin the wheel. My truck pulling the trailer can spin the trailer wheels when it is hung up. But that is also when I can boil water or cook an egg on my hubs.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s dragging at all, it’s decreasing your fuel mileage. Just another reason I want to go back to all electric! Wink But if your preference is surge disc, if the penetrating oil doesn’t work I agree with getting a new actuator. With drums my greased hubs ran around 135F and my oil bath hubs ran around 95F. I think I remember my current oil bath hubs on EOH disc running around 105-110F. Colby
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Questions re:hot surge brakes Reply with quote

All the answers posted are good. But, I will add my Magic Tilt Experience, which is mostly bad.

I lived at 4400’ have to cross 10,000’ passes t get where I usually want to go.
Going down 8% grades s the issue.

Surge brakes are fine for flat landers and the adjustment on them is set by the factory with warnings don’t adjust.

I had to replace my surge unit Last year and did not head Gary’s “Daybreak” advice and buy elecTric over surge. Cost and extra battery. So I am coping with that error. I should have listened.

I have got the brakes so hot they smoke and the heat melts the Bering grease. Not good on highway,

By the way you can buY an inexpensive thermometer gun to check your wheel
Temp at each gas stop etc.

Meant for backing up I insert A pin in mountains which now means I have NO trailer brakes when I need them most. I live and drive mountains all the time
I down shift going down those long 8% grades. Don’t want to be out of control or have vehicle brakes overheat. Many people don’t ever think to down shift auto tranny. Use it that is my the vehicle has those shift points
You engage manually. They are not for decoration.

I travel mountains a lot. I see vehicles out of control all the time going down in overdrive.

I removed My buddy bearings long ago. Only way to be sure the bearings
Are properly greased is do it by hand. And use the best bearing grease you can buy. Do not use marine bearing grease. It is waterproof but. Turns to oil at high temp and leaks out. Experience.

I too have steep drive situtation and lock brakes out. Put pin in is slow speed and truck stops trailer fine.

Saltwater is also not your trailers friend. If possible flush after using. On site if possible. In past years I pay $40 round trip I use the lift at Cap Santa Marine in Antacortes, WA. Worth every penny as trailer stays dry and they have parking $5 a night.

If I were not having to sell the boat this Spring, age and infirmities, I would replace with electric over hydraulic now. Just put Tne other unit on last year,
It does what is suppose to but it is a flat lander thin. By the by nothing against flatlanders I was one most of my life.

All I learned about trailers was the hard expensive way. We also have camper trailer with electric Brakes work fine but not for boat trailers.

Good luck and always be safe. Living in mts you see lots of bad stuff that was avoidable.

Baxter

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We also have camper trailer with electric Brakes work fine but not for boat trailers.

I’ve argued this before and continue to disagree! I’ve always had electric brakes on my boat trailers till this current one. While most my launching is in fresh water, I have launched in brackish and salt a few times. I’ve also towed over salted roads. My experience with electric exceeds the experience I’ve had with hydraulic! Maintain them, as you need to do with any brake and the simplicity will rarely fail you! Colby
Baxter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Hot surge brakes Reply with quote

It has been fun to read the various Reply’s . All are well thought out and
Show practical experience. Each have their own remedy that works and is a variation of the others. I sometimes get frustrated on Some sites where people have opinion that are not based on knowledge or experience. You have good material here to digest and draw you solution from.

Although I disagree with electric immersed in Water especially salt if you put the effort into maintaining and they feel safe for you I can not argue with that.

We pull 5-7000 miles a year with our 5.7 liter Tundra that also has great brakes. To get from Sheridan, WY to Antacortes.WA have many hills and passes to cross.

Wish I was looking at Friday Harbor today instead of snow on ground and the 11 deer eating in our yard. Love watching the deer four are bucks. Hunting
Season on but not in our backyard.
VicC

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Denali
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm going to pull the trigger and order a new surge actuator. I know there is overwhelming opinion favoring EOH over surge, but I think that as a Flatlander, it makes $ense for me to go with a $urge actuator.
Along with all the great info on this site, my lesson learned is to be more diligent with preventive maintenance with this component of the trailer.

Now I need to order the actuator because I am missing out on salmon.

Regards,
Vic
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at this and other brake threads and (not being very mechanically inclined - Rolling Eyes at all Sad have some questions on the advantages of either brake system.

Surge -- I have that and a rough understanding of it and how it works. Don't like that they heat up on the down hill side, and we have plenty of that, and sometimes they are big. (Cabbage Hill, 6 miles of 6% down grade, is one I can think of. There are 7% and some 8% -- Like going over the Malahat down into Port Alberni for access to the west side of Vancouver Island, and I think that is over 5 miles. I-5 over Siskiyou has a steep slope of 6%, negotiating a height of 2,000 feet (610 m) in a short road length of 6 miles.)

Electric over Hydraulic -- I now have a truck that has an electric controller, so could go to that option if I thought it was warranted.

My Pacific trailer has the surge brakes on the rear axle. I have considered putting electric onto the front axle, and having two independent systems, (yes it is that redundancy thing showing again.) So I am curious about thoughts on that idea as well.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey it’s much better to have full control of your trailer brakes from the cab be it electric brakes or electric over hydraulic. Electric over hydraulic, or EOH, uses a hydraulic brake system but puts an electric pump at the front of the trailer to pressurize the trailers hydraulic brakes. The pump, or EOH actuator, then gets electric signals or current from your trucks brake controller. The controller usually works on deceleration forces. Electric brakes do not use hydraulics but rather a electro-magnet connected to drum brakes that when energized causes the magnet to pull against the rotating drum to expand the brake shoes. Those that don’t think electricity works in water don’t really understand that the magnet is sealed and wire connections should be sealed as well. The disadvantage of electric brakes is that they are the drum system, which is inferior to disc. However disc run hotter and use hydraulics with a fluid that doesn’t like moisture. Any system that doesn’t involve Stainless will rust in salt and needs to be rinsed with fresh water! In any case with cab control of your trailer brakes you can input how much and when your trailer brakes are operating. Thus it is a much safer system. As for installing two different systems, I wouldn’t recommend it as you would need separate controllers and the additional wiring. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand Harvey's proposal, he will keep the surge brakes on the rear axle. If he has a long down grade, he will put the pin back in the surge coupler, to disable the surge brakes, and possible overheating of the disc/hub/grease. There is no controller for surge brakes, they only work by the truck braking (engine or brakes), and the forward pressure of the weight of the trailer allows the coupler to slide forward, putting pressure in the hydraulic cylinder, thus slowing the trailer.

The in cab controller is controlled by the truck's braking system, or can be controlled manually. For any load over 6800# in parts of Canada a system which has in cab braking control is mandatory. The electro magnetic brakes will be used by Harvey when descending grades. When he is back on the level, and not backing, the lock out pin on the surge blade coupler will be removed and the surge brakes will then be in play.

Can it be done? Certainly. The issue I see is the forgetting to put the pin in or pull the pin out. Maybe a red flag on the steering wheel as a reminder????

I understand that Colby has very limited use of the Electromagnetic brakes in salt water, where the backing plate, parts of the brake shoe articulating mechanism, and the shoes themselves can rust fairly quickly. To "flush" these systems, means a dedicated nozzle inside the backing plate which spray salt-a-way or fresh water in reasonable volumes on the. drums, backing plate and articulating surface. For most boaters it is far easier to just rinse off the open disc brakes. There is a reason that the electromagnetic system has never taken off with the hundred of thousands of salt water boaters... !!!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ordering a new actuator, be aware that they are specific to dual or single axle trailers. A dual actuator on single axle will apply too much force and visa versa.
Harvey,
I have been told that in washington and canada a trailer the size of a c dory must have brakes on all axles. Ours had them on only one axle originally, but we had them added to the second axle And that required a new actuator for dual axle brakes. I feel better now, but still worry a bit about big grades. Our truck is 2500hd with compression brakes, so I think I am going to do Dr Bob's lock out mod.

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point on the brakes on both axles. This is important in some states, including Florida. I was wrong on the weight for cab controlled brakes in BC (and most provinces) it is 2800 KG or 6173#

AAA has a good site for trailer laws in all US states.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand that Colby has very limited use of the Electromagnetic brakes in salt water, where the backing plate, parts of the brake shoe articulating mechanism, and the shoes themselves can rust fairly quickly. To "flush" these systems, means a dedicated nozzle inside the backing plate which spray salt-a-way or fresh water in reasonable volumes on the. drums, backing plate and articulating surface. For most boaters it is far easier to just rinse off the open disc brakes.

The thing is, if you have drum brakes, rather electric or hydraulic, you have to deal with the issue above. Same if you have cheap discs that are not SS. I did have a fresh water rinse system I fabricated on Midnight Flyer's trailer that did rinse the brakes from inside the drums. And used it meticulously when dunking in salt or after driving on salted roads. I'd guess most boaters don't rinse off the open disc brakes either... or flush the hydraulic fluid, or maintain the actuator.... again it all comes down to maintenance. Cool Wink Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
again it all comes down to maintenance

Colby, you are correct most who trailer boats don't do it a lot, and don't maintain.
drbridge

C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me specs / where to purchase a diode that is appropriate for The electric Lock out modification?
Baxter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Venture 21 Towing Reply with quote

Baxture Venture 23 is 5030# wet on Alum. Trailer. Tongue weight is 280#
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: