The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Non OEM Engine Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Non OEM Engine Parts Reply with quote

From: josepepper (Original Message) Sent: 6/5/2003 1:44 PM
Is it possible to cross reference the Honda oil filters to a non OEM brand like Fram? I haven't been able to find anything on the web about this and it could save a trip to the Honda dealer?

Hi Josepepper -

Red Fox found a Fram filter that fits his big Yamaha, so you probably could do the same for your Honda. He took an OEM filter to the store and compared them until he found one with the same gasket and cartridge size. Worked for him.

I have been buying the filters 3 or 4 at a time when I get to a Honda dealer. I also have another few of them to be shipped with a new prop I ordered from a dealer. That way I have plenty on hand for the season. I am the nervous type, and I prefer to have the name on the thing.

Mike

How messy is changing the oil filter? Does it drain out the crankcase drain with the rest of the oil, or is it going to glug out all over the engine with I pull it? I won't be doing this for a while as the 20 hour service will be done by the Honda shop just to be sure.

-- Chuck

Thanks Mike,

I don't have a maint history for the engine except for an oral one but it was taken care of by the Marina's mechanic. I'm the nervous type too so I will be changing the oil, filter, fuel filter and lower gear oil anyway. I like to buy stuff online and was surprised when I did a search for Honda Maint parts that not too much came up. Apparently you have to buy them from Honda dealers only? The first voyage is next week so I want to be ready.

Pepper

Oh heck yea I run them Fram filters. Hey I was told some rather dismal news by the Yamaha dealer here in Anchorage. He told me that Yamaha does not make oversized pistons for my new F-115 outboard four stroke motor! shoosh I should converted to inboard diesel! I hope the HELL someone does out there! is everything disposable these days or what!! yup I'm pist!

Red,

So all that's needed is that the seal ring and general filter size match? Are there any internal filter issues? Flow rates, media types, particulate size for the filter to trap etc...?

I really don't my friend. I admit I took it for granted a filter is a filter and hoped for the best. Back when I went this rout, I was watching the engine temps and kept a close eye on the quality of the oil, and just in case, I kept the original Yamaha filter to put back if there was trouble. I'm a character as you can tell and I take calculated risk! Hey, I took it to the dealer and they saw it and made no remarks about the Fram filter. It had to have the oil pan gasket replaced once, under warranty of course.
ARG maybe old Les has some info on this, I don't think anyone really knows?

Red, Considering the beautiful condition of your boat, id say your talent and risk taking paid off. BTW, for all you Honda folks, I found a great deal on the aftermarket Honda outboard Manual from Seloc Heres the link:

http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/product/0893300489

$34.95 Reg. ($22.50 SALE PRICE) Covers all 2-130HP, 1 to 4 cylinder, 4 stroke models. Features Timing & Synchronization, maintenance & Tune-Up, Fuel System Hand Rewind Starter, Ignition & Electrical, Powerhead, Lower Unit Trim & Tilt, Remote Control, Fuel Injection, Boating Safety Wiring Diagrams & Troubleshooting Logic Specifications Hardcover: 352 pages Dimensions: (in inches): 1.10 x 11.00 x 8.17 Publisher: Delmar Learning; 1 edition (February 29, 2000)

josepepper,

If your Honda is under warranty, you should use the Honda filters!! You could void the warranty by using the wrong filters.
Just a thought.

Larry

Larry,

The engine is a 95 so the warrany is not an issue, although it's good advice. I'm in no hurry to save 2 bucks on a filter, I just think it's neat. I like the Fox's sensibility with things and the way he makes things work so beautifully on his boat.

Got the 1st launch ready for June 16th, waiting on new trailer tires and the fish finder.

Gettin pretty excited about it too.

Thanx Pepper. I guess my boat is my passion Smile I did save the OEM filter just incase I needed it to put back on the motor if I did have any warranty issues. I can't stand paying so many price mark-ups .

Red,

My guess is that they are manufactured by a major filter production company and could be cross referenced. Anyhoo, took out the susan renee yesterday for the first time. 15 mph winds and 3' seas in the Chesapeake Bay. The little girl took a real pounding but handled very well, we were able to do some drift fishing but the bottom is churned up so badly from the recent storms here we didn't get a bite. I am very impressed with how these boats handle in bad weather. Alas the poor 50hp Honda is a bit overwhelmed by it all but it will have to survive a few years till I can upgrade to the 90.

Hey there! I liked that report and thanx! My opinion on these little boats are that they handle a rough mixed sea condition better than anything I have been in. Always predictable handling in the rough stuff. I actually enjoy a rough sea when I'm feeling well.

I remember back when I had a 55hp on Red Fox. I loved it! When I was light, that little twin would snap that boat on step like nothing Smile Back before the heavy four stroke motors I now use, my plaining speed was lower to. I would not trade the weight though, it just makes them ride smoother and sit lower in the water. I guess that's good for me in my environment.

Well in closing I'll say it's been good to get that time back on my butt again and chat with yas. Now I gotta go out and get to some chores.
Greg

Josepepper--Congratulations on getting out. Where did you put in? If you run down to the South River some time, give me a call beforehand, and we can hook up, probably. My number's in the phone book (Annapolis).Bruce Holly

Thanks for the invitation. After I learn how to navigate a bit i'll hook up with you later this summer. I have a friend that has water privelages in Pasadena and I put the boat in at Bodkin Creek? We took her out past the Key Bridge and ran to about a mile North of the Bay Bridge. I have a lot to learn, mostly safety and navigation issues but I took it very careful and slow. I will probably put in at Sandy Point Park next time. I noticed a bit of sway on the trailer driving home, i'm installing radial tires and may move her up on the trailer about 6", there is only about 135-150 lbs on the tongue right now and her butt sticks off the trailer quite a bit. I absolutely love this vessel, she really is seaworthy for her size and not too many other boats were out in the 15-20 mph winds that day.

Oh, BTW if I hadn't mentioned it before. I purchased insurance through Erie (a pennsylvania company) they put her on my home owners policy for $245.00 a year which I thought was pretty cheap. Thats for 20k (boat) 6k (engine) 2k (electronics)

Heres the contact info for Erie in MD

J E Schenk & Associates
3701 Courthouse Drive
Ellicott City MD 21043
410-465-7474

If you call tell em Dan Alvarez sent ya.

Take Care

Found an exact match for the Honda BF-50 oil filter:

Purolator: Pure ONE
PL14476
I believe it is a better quality filter than OEM
I also converted the engine to synthetic oil and a marine synthetic lower gear oil, so far the engine is really running great with it.
Bought a new Expedition and the mileage was pretty poor, that got me to research into synthetics, it's really the way to go.
The best company for synthetics in my opinion is the one that started off the synthetic oil industry, AMSOIL.

Going crabbing Tuesday in the Chester River, take care folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: