Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used the small butane stove and like it very much...however, the canisters don't last long and can't be found in BC. So...we are considering purchasing a coleman single burner to attach to our small propane tank. The wallas was not an option this last BC cruise as the temp was in the 90's. We don't like disposing of all those small canisters either. The two burner folding stove looks like a good one but we think we would only use the one burner at a time. Would also like to get one of the new fiberglass propane tanks as they are so much lighter than the steel tanks.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the Coleman Fold and Go, like the one that Patty posted on this thread. If I'm not mistaken Patty and my wife Carol were introduced to it by another C-Brat at the '08 Friday Harbor Get Together. If using only one of the two burners on it, I found that I could hinge the other burner up at a 90 degree angle and utilize it as a shield against the wind. We have also used this stove while anchored out, by placing it on a large cooler in the cockpit. While in marinas we place the large cooler on the dock and the stove on top of it....works great! (A Whole Lot better than the larger 2 burner Coleman stove that we used to use as it is more compact). I'll give it a Star Star Star Star Star rating. (That is 5/5 if wondering.... Wink ).
C-Brat #16
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Origo alcohol stove on our CD 25 which we really like. On our sailboat - an S2 7.9 we use a small single burner Kenyon butane stove that really works great.
Eric
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 19 there is not much space for a stove, so I use a Force 10 gimballed single burner stove to do most of my cooking.
It attaches to a bracket and can be stowed easily. I think that Force Ten has stopped making this stove as I can not find it on their website.

I also use my JetBoil which I bought for kayaking. I use it mostly for quick stuff like coffee, soups and freeze dried meals, and hot water. It uses a small butane/propane canister and is extremely efficient. I have a hanger for the stove (used by mountaineers hanging on the side of El Cap Shocked ) so that I don't have to worry about the stove tipping over. It is very small, uses little fuel, and the burner and fuel pack away in the pot. Nice for a small boat, and one person.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Stoves - What do you use? Reply with quote

Sarge wrote:
We recently bought a Kuuma Stow and Go gas barbecue grill that we have mounted to the stern of the boat and we have used it to cook, but it is inefficient when it comes to boiling water for pasta, especially if you are only using half of the grill. (It does work wonderfully as a barbecue!)

Sarge, I had not heard of the Kuuma so went and looked it up. Someone mentioned the shortcomings of the Magma (all on or all off, allegedly to prevent the flame from being blown out on the water) so I was wondering if the Kuuma allowed you to control the heat better? Also, did you have to fab a custom mount or do they offer rail mounts?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sarge, I had not heard of the Kuuma so went and looked it up. Someone mentioned the shortcomings of the Magma (all on or all off, allegedly to prevent the flame from being blown out on the water) so I was wondering if the Kuuma allowed you to control the heat better? Also, did you have to fab a custom mount or do they offer rail mounts?

Warren,

We've found that the Kuuma is excellent at holding a flame in the wind and being able to adjust heat levels. It is an excellent barbecue! It just wasn't designed to be both a barbecue and a stove surface.

No, we didn't have to fabricate a custom mount, there are rail mounts available from West Marine for ~$40.00.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Thread Here Gang!

Roger/FLROCKYTOP : .... now I am hungry looking at that cooked meat pic. Yumm Yumm and ya can just taste it sit'n round the cockpit each with a knife just carving off little bite size chunks... Life is good....eating great food on a boat is better!!!

Yep, Pat/Patty & Dave that is the same red folding uniit I have...and pretty happy with it..but just does not seem to be my first go to option..except great for those morning omlets on the water!! Did take me a bit to get use to the room it took setting it up for safe cooking...but it does a fine job.

Marvin: Great idea on the non-vaccum vaccum bag idea for storing the charcoal and starters. I have used the second smallest Big Green Egg on my boat before, but it is heavy and just too bulky for small boat use. Would love it on the roof of a larger boat I think....which brings me back to the Cobb.

Now, Brigner's on C-Pearl indicated they have used both the Big Green Egg charcoal and...some other imported charcoal that works even better.... but.... I have not been able to get him to remember the brand...and give it to me. I will send an email and private message to him about this link...

I like that induction stuff too... WOW....so many options.... Great thread...and it makes me even more happy to know I spent the funds on my boat for the Wallas 30D duct heating system....and left my cooking devices ....to things to cook with... Kinda back to the 60s-70s with the individual components for sound systems....and using single purpose components... instead of these little pocket size jute boxes and head sets we now have.... Note Tea Note CoolSmile Idea

GREAT LINK!!!

Thanks Sarge!!

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link for portable 12" induction cooktop pictured above ......

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SR1851.html

Byrdman
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two stoves on my Arima (I know... it's not a C-Dory). First, I have a Magma Newport stainless steel grill that I mounted on the transom. It's a small single burner grill that uses one pound propane bottles and cost about $250 when I bought it. It works great for just about everything except boiling water. We've used it for cooking everything from bacon and eggs to shrimp and steak with potatoes and corn on the cob. As far as things that need improved... I think it needs a better latch for the hood (the latch handle broke off), and I had to block the vent with aluminum foil once when I was out in November and the wind was blowing pretty hard. So, a variable vent opening would be nice. And, we could use a slightly bigger size, but we do have a pretty small boat, and it is usually just the two of us. Do I recommend it? I think any galley would benefit from a grill on board, but this one may be a little small for most boaters.

Second, we have a stainless Seacook gimbal stove mounted back near the grill. It uses the same one pound propane bottles as the grill and stows away nicely when not in use. I think it was about $100. It works great for boiling water and making coffee in my stainless perculator. It also works pretty good for making Jiffy-Pop popcorn, too. For the bad, I'd say the only thing I can think of is the need for a clicker ignition. And it used to hold water until I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom. Would I recommend it? Well, my wife has said that she won't go out for our weekend trips if I don't bring it...

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from our two weeks in Desolation Sound and did all of our cooking on a stainless two burner camp stove. I had a removable alloy arm made which mounts to my downrigger mounts and the stove bolts to this arm so the entire stove is over the side and no closer than three inches to the hull. The gas lines I use are a 3 foot line for the port side and an 8' line for the starboard side. The live well lazarette is an approved propane locker and the smallest refillable tank will fit standing up with only minor modifications. No gas lines or connections are inside the boat cockpit at any time and I can run the stove and kettle bbq at the same time on opposite sides of the boat. If you like to cook as I do, this is the only way to go on a 22. I took one throw away tank and used it once when I set up the stove away from the boat and the refillable tank lasted us the full two weeks. Also the stove is the same width as the locker under the helm and wastes very little space. The brand is Century and the only dealer local to Western WA is REI. Price on line was the same and its all stainless steel.

Save our Sound!
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Photos? Reply with quote

Capn Steve,

Any photos of the stove and associated plumbing?

Another Steve

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital Sea wrote:
The live well lazarette is an approved propane locker and the smallest refillable tank will fit standing up with only minor modifications.

Sounds like a great setup Steve. If the tank or fittings leak, does the heavier than air gas go over the side?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread full of good ideas. In case anyone is keeping a running talley of what we all use, we'll add our two cents. Wallas is primary (and coffee water is burbling behind me as I write). Slow but warms the cabin on cool mornings like today in the rain in the San Juans.

On warm days, we have a single burner Coleman propane stove. We use it outside to avoid monoxide. Quick to heat but wind sensitive (then we use
aluminum foil for a shield).

Starting from scratch, we'd probably get the double burner Coleman described so well by Pat.

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the lines of this discussion a while back there was a discussion on the single burner Kenyon butane Stove the factory was installing for a while. I like mine a lot but and it's a big but, about half the butane canisters I have used leak. I'm not sure if I have inferior butane canister's (bought on line) or if the seal in the stove is the culprit. If I leave one in the stove over night about 1/2 the time with the stove turned off the canister will be empty in the morning. I'm fairly sure it's the stove leaking. Bottom line mine is dangerous and I quit using it. Actually about a year ago I had the same problem with a one pound propane bottle and it was the bottle leaking. Now I carry a small spray bottle with soap and check for leaks on these disposable bottles. No matter what you use as has been mentioned before these things can be dangerous. I think the butane bottles are pretty much manufactered (in China) with one time use in mind.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two kinds, a butane cheapie with 1lb canisters (actually we have two of these) works fine, no big loss if it fails or goes swimming. We only use it outside. We also have a coleman "fold and go" 2 burner propane that uses the 1 lb propane canisters. We stole the idea from Pat and Patty on Daydream. It is very satisfactory, gives us two burners, and we rarely even put the butane portables on the boat anymore.

As far as I know we've never had a problem with leaking canisters, either butane or propane. I buy them at local sporting goods stores or home depot/wal mart. We have a single burner kenyon butane stove built into C-Cakes. It works fine and to my knowledge has never leaked, again it may be canister quality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: