Center window problem on C-22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BPRookie

City/Region: Matlacha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mullet of Matlacha
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Center window problem on C-22 Reply with quote

I just had a problem with the center window. The weld that holds the plate for the adjuster let go. We were underway with the window open and the adjuster let go from the window frame. It looks like an aluminum plate tack welded to the frame.

Anybody had this problem? What's the fix?

Thanks.

Bob

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into getting a center-opening window a while back and this issue came up in my discussions with Diamond Sea-Glaze. I mentioned reports of this weld failing and they informed me that a second "adjuster" could be installed on the opposite side(increased rigidity).

The upcharge wasn't going to be alot.

I suggested then that they should simply add this to future examples but I guess they didn't listen, obviously.

I advise a call to DSG and ask them how to proceed.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer boats have two "adjusters"--I don't know if JB weld would be a solution here or not--but I would give it a shot. I would also add as second adjustor, if one is available.

Option #2--more expensive, is to replace the window with one with 2 "adjusters". Some of the adjusters, have a concentric compression nut, and some have a set screw type. I prefer the set screw type.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I had the exact same problem with our 1995 Dory. The weld broke. I tried JB weld first and that worked for about 1-2 outings and then broke again. I decided to order a new window from Diamond Sea Glaze with adjusters on both sides. Cost with shipping was about $560...pricey, but a critical component for air flow. The new window adjusters have set screw stops which I like. It was not too difficult to change out the windows. Removed interior square drive screws and the the locking frame on the inside with no trouble. Used a putty knife to slip under the frame on the outside to cut the silicone sealer all the way around the then pulled the whole unit out. Cleaned the silicone residue off the outside, put on a new bead of silicone and then slipped the new unit into the hole. This take 2 people as you need someone to hold the unit in place from the outside while the other person installs the interior trim ring and screws. After tightening all screws, I stood back and although probably not noticeable to others, the window was slightly out of level. I will probably be the only one that sees it, but it still bugs me every time I am on the boat. Lesson: step back and look at the window before you tighten all the screws down.

Tad
Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway is correct, the newer boats come with the double support arms.

I don't always tighten them both though and maybe I should be doing that.

Can't say enough about how great it is to have that center opening window.

Capt Dan

Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New boats have two adjusters on the center opening window????

I was under the impression that Fishhawk's 06 has two

My 07 has one.

my 2 cents

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
Albury23

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2008
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat has a single support for the center window and an adjuster that slips over time when cruising through Chesapeake chop, allowing the window to slowly close. To stabilize, I rigged a simple brace to take the weight off the support arm and the adjuster mechanism when cruising. I keep it under the pilot seat. It installs quickly and locks the window in place in a way that takes the strain off the original factory window support arm.

You can make it in 5 minutes. It is a short piece of broom stick, with a hole in one end that has a 6 inch loop if nylon cord through it. The length of the bromstick or dowel does not have to be exact, because you can use the length of the nylon loop to adjust for the exact tension. I place the loop around the window handle on the fully open window and extend the top end of the dowel (attached to the loop) outside of, and upward past the leading edge of the open window. Then I slide the lower end of the dowel into the corner intersection of the cabin and front deck below the window frame, lower the window, and tighten up the locking nut to take the strain off the support arm.

The set up stays in place for hours of Chesapeake chop. I set it up to lock the window fully open, so there is no tendency for the window to rise up with the wind.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our 2008 just has one support and there are no welds. just plastic pieces that screw into the window.
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1999 22' Cruiser had one center window top hinge support break, and the aluminum piece that supports the nylon rod fell overboard. I called DSG, and they wanted over $700 for a new window w/shipping. I took the window out (not easy) using putty knives, piano wire, and a lot of leverage. The hinge was held in place by a set screw, not welded. I had a new aluminum piece fabricated locally by a machine shop, replaced the screws on both sides, painted, and reinstalled the window. Cost about $50. The window broke because of the pounding the boat takes, and the leverage on the support when it is fully opened. I have a single support on the starbord side of the window.

While not the same problem that you have, my suggestion would be to remove the window, get the broken weld rewelded, replace the window in the boat, and then keep the opening window partially closed when running hard to keep the leverage down. You still get plenty of air flow, and can open fully when stopped or going slower. Works for me!

Dun
Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh--Oh, Embarassed

Apparently the double adjusters were only for a short period (1 year?).
I am sorry for incorrectly saying "newer boats come with double support arms". Didn't know that they did not continue that practice.

Osprey really does have one on each side of the window.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: