The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor (black ball) displayed for day use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flip

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pooch
Photos: Pooch
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Anchor (black ball) displayed for day use? Reply with quote

Does every one use one and if so what kind and how do you attach it?
Also do you also use a ball at you anchor? We have never seen either used.
Just read and article in Latitude where someone had not had one on and received a citation from Homeland Security with a fine of $6500.00. This was later reduced to $100.00.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, you don't need to display the ball or an anchor light in designated anchorages. SO then the question becomes, is the area you are anchoring designated?

I've never seen a pleasuer boat with the daytime anchor signal on board, let alone deployed. A quik viewing of the west Marine catalog doesn't even show such a signal as being available....

I didn't know that Homeland Security could issue citations.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rule...

-----------------

Rule 30

Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

* (i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
* (ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, where they can best be seen;

* (i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
* (ii) three balls in a vertical line.

(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

------------------------------

So, it could be argued that a vessel of less than 50 meters does not have to display a ball shape when at anchor. Certainly, a vessel less than 7 meters (23 feet) is not required to display the shape. I'd say your 22 is fine.

In inland waters, I rarely see any boat of any size with a ball day shape when at anchor. We don't use one and have never had a problem.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The navigation rules require that: "DURING THE DAY: All vessels at anchor must display, forward where it can be best seen, a black ball shape." However, there is an exception: ("EXCEPTIONS: If your vessel is less than 23 feet/7 meters in length, then it is not required to display an anchor light or shape unless it is anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate.") so except for 25's and Tomcats C-Dorys are exempt from either a light or ball. I have only seen one pleasure vessel actually displaying the black ball and it was about a 75 foot yacht. I display the anchor light because I think it makes sense to be more easily seen at night. Personally I don't intend to worry about displaying the black ball but it may depend upon where you are anchoring.
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colobear wrote:
The navigation rules require that: "DURING THE DAY: All vessels at anchor must display, forward where it can be best seen, a black ball shape." However, there is an exception: , or where other vessels normally navigate.")

I think that the "where other vessels normally navigate" would negate the exception in most cases. Around here, the only commercial vessels I've seen use a ball is a dredge. I've never used one of the balls and I've never seen a pleasure craft use one but I have thought about some hard a$$ trying to enforce it.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regard less of rules you should have a white light on at night. to many people running into anchorages late at night. Not all of them have spot lights like me. Wink
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the anchor light is prudent.

It would be interesting to know what kind of boat, where it was anchored and other details to know if it was a legitimate citation.
thataway

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat we took to Europe (62 feet LOA) and the cal 46, we had a 24" diameter "ball"--one was an inflatable plastic ball, with attatchments at top and bottom and the other was two 24" plywood circles, which fit together at 90 degrees to form the appears of a "ball". We also had the appropiate cone shape for "motor sailing" aboard both vessels.

As for smaller boats, it is not practical, and rarely excercised to use the round shape for anchoring. On the other hand, where there is not a mooring field, or the boat is not tied to the bank, an anchor light is certainly an excellent precuation.

We always used a 360 degree mast head light on our sail boats--but with the mast head from 57 to 65 feet off the water, we usually left some other deck light on. With the 62 footer, there was a long bow sprit, so we put a light on the end of it, and a second deck light on the aft or mizzen boom. This defined the length of the boat.

For the C Dory we always use a LED light at a minum--there are some bright ones which have a built in solar panel. They may not be fully legal (visiable for 2 miles), but even when the boat is stern to the beach or in a mooring field it is nice to have a light to define where your boat is. If outside of a mooring field, the the 360 degree anchor light is deployed. On the Tom Cat we have replaced the bulb with a series of LED lights, which are brighter than the single original bulb.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

For the C Dory we always use a LED light at a minum--there are some bright ones ......... On the Tom Cat we have replaced the bulb with a series of LED lights, which are brighter than the single original bulb.

Speaking of LED anchor lights. I out one of those OWL LED anchor lights from the guy in Fiji. There is a thread on here some where about them. I'm pretty sure this is also what SeaSpray(Steve) has. That sucker is bright but does not reflect off of anything on the boat and so does not create ambient light to blind me. It was a little pricey. I think around $40 but I would spend it again if I lost this one. It has no problem with the 2 mi range. On my Texas ICW trip I had a tow boat Capt. make the comment "damn your anchor light is bright"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: