The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Oil analysis applies to our diesel tow vehicles!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Oil analysis applies to our diesel tow vehicles!!! Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
SNEAKS: I am interested in your oil sample remark... Seems ol Uncle Sam has used oil samples on stuff for years....yet, in our civilian rides, we just dump gallons of more than likely fine oil with each oil change. Even some neat after market kits for more oil filters and oil sampling. I need to know more on this as Ol Blue is over the 100,000 mile mark now. Just seems that changing filters, adding oil to replace filters oil, and an oil sample would get a bit more use out of the oil... Your thoughts?

Byrdman

Pat, I first was exposed to oil analysis on submarines. We changed oil in our four (4) big diesel engines only when the analysis showed it was time to change. It was also invaluable as an early indicator of engine trouble because one could determine if bearings were failing long before getting stuck at sea with a seized engine.

When I bought my Duramax (used) I was concerned as to the true condition of the engine, so after a long RV trip I contacted Blackstone Labs got a sample kit and sent it in for analysis. Much to my delight, the analysis showed that compared to other Duramax engines, mine had a better than normal rating and I could extend my oil replacement schedule.

The whole process (at that time) cost me less than $20. A year later, my neighbor (who drove a SOB diesel truck) was intrigued and I gave him a sample bottle to send in. He found his turbo was generating way too much metal wear and it was ending up in his oil. It took several trips and a long battle with Ford, but they eventually replaced his turbo. He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if his turbo failed after the warranty ended...! Interestingly enough, Ford sealed his oil fill, wired his oil drain and in general made sure any work done on that engine while they were going through a "second opinion" exercise, was done only by Ford and only in their specified facility.

If I owned a diesel powered boat you can bet your biggest asset I'd do oil analysis regularly. Easily done, a wealth of knowledge, and cheap.

Don
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did (and still do, I think) the same thing on big gas turbines and diesels on surface ships! An invaluable tool!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to oil samples, we had magnetic plugs on the gear boxes as a quick tell tale of looming trouble.

Bill Uffelman
Looking out on Areys Pond
South Orleans MA for another day
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sneaks!

Going to do some looking about a bit on this topic. Very interesting.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Doug & Fran

City/Region: Calgary,
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Squirt Two
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: magnets Reply with quote

I've been putting small, cheap, rare earth magnets on the oil filters on our cars/trucks. Dunno if it makes any difference, but the magnets are cheap and should collect any ferrous type material in the filter.

Doug

denny-o

City/Region: Hemlock
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil analysis is a topic I have followed for decades for my business vehicles and my airplane (it has not been an issue for my sailboats)... Roughly every 5 years I get concerned and go over the latest information... And each time I decide not to do it...
Now what is economical and prudent testing for a multi million dollar turbine in a warship does not apply to me...

The issues are:
1. Does oil analysis save me more money than it costs?
2. If an engine is showing elevated this or that, am I going to spend $6K/$18K on an overhaul (truck/airplane) just in case?

My experience and my conversations with people who use oil analysis is that it does not predict sudden breakage - a timing chain snapping, etc. - only elevated wear rate of bearings, cams, etc... My personal experience has been that an experienced operator will sense a problem with an engine long before it results in stoppage - change in temperatures, vibration, noise, etc...

What I do to supplement being alert is to cut open the oil filter at each oil change and inspect it for metal shavings... You will become an expert by the time you do the second filter... The other thing I do is to use a good oil, but not the most expensive razzle dazzle stuff advertised, and to change the oil at 2/3 of the recommended interval...
It is not the oil base that protects the engine against accelerated wear, it is the additive package... The high dollar oil has essentially the same additive package as the brand name stuff, and those additives wear out at the same rate in either oil... By changing my oil more frequently I have fresh additives over a higher percentage of the running hours than I do with the more expensive, extended change oils... In the end it costs me about the same but I 'feel' that looking at the filter more frequently is to my advantage along with the fresher additive package...

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familar with technical details. What analytes are tested and what are the interpretations?
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I am not familar with technical details. What analytes are tested and what are the interpretations?

Quote:
Blackstone's standard analysis will tell you what you need to know about the condition of your engine and how it's wearing. The standard analysis costs $22.50 and includes the following:

Spectral Exam: Establishes the levels of wear metals, silicon, and additives present in the oil. Also checks for coolant.

Viscosity: Determines the grade of oil.

Insolubles: Quantifies the percentage of solids present in the oil.

Flash Point: Determines the flash point of the oil. We use the flash point to determine whether any contamination is present in the oil (determined when the flash is lower than the "should be" range).

I ordered a kit, but not for the outboard or my F-250. I'm gonna test the hi-performance engine in my air cooled VW to see how it's doing.

BrentB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often should it tested?
Sneaks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
How often should it tested?

Personally, I ran an analysis just after I bought my Duramax (used) and again about 30,000 miles later. Up to you. It really should be tested once before the warranty expires if ya got a new truck, just to check for elevated metal levels and avoid surprises down the road. Depends entirely on your comfort level. Little use is harder on a diesel, but overall I think most folks waste more money doing 3,000 mile oil changes than going to the manufacturer's recommended mileage interval and getting an analysis every other change. Additives last a looooong time.

Denny has some good points but if you're not into changing oil yourself or (yuck) cutting oil filters and dealing with hazardous waste bullcrap, an analysis can be an easy way out.

Don
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you

Based your tests, did it help?
Sneaks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Brent. I bought on line from an owner living in Thailand and his truck was stored in Los Angeles. Definite peace of mind after reading the first analysis. The second showed no change from the first one so I stopped doing 'em.

Don

Oh, the owner turned out to be a PGA golfer playing in the Asian PGA tour. I don't play cow pasture pool so his name meant nothing to me. Johnson or Johnston. All I remember was that he was 6'5" and a nice guy. He flew in to LA, we swapped cash for pink at my bank and I gave them a ride to the airport.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Good idea Reply with quote

Thanks for the words of advice. I'm going to order a kit. I recently purchased a late model M2 Freightliner that is going to be out of warranty as of September. Good piece of mind on an expense piece of equipment! Again, thanks for the advice. I knew about these tests but had forgotten about them.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Oil analysis applies to our diesel tow vehicles!!! Reply with quote

Brent,
Large truck fleet managers use oil analysis to extend oil change intervals by testing individual motors. Typically diesel oil changes are recommended at 10k intervals. By testing the oil they might find a particular engine's oil still tests well at 16k they stretch oil change intervals by five or six thousand miles on an engine that hold 10 gallons of oil it's easy to see the savings if you consider fleets with ten or one hundred trucks. As the engine gets older the testing showing high contamination of fuel or bearing material lets them plan on dumping the piece or the budgeting process. Not to mention the work load for the shop and the unit to come out of service. Our shop truck has a turbo charged Mercedes engine; we change it a 5k because it's cheap we do it ourselves and we want the engine to last forever. The other benefits it's quick and we don't have wonder about who did what at Wally World. Other folks living condos or right on the side walk simply don't have a place to do it. Everyone has there way of doing things.
D.D.
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story Sneaks
Thanks again to you and Dave

This is well thought and useful infomation.

What is the estimated testing turnaround time?

I am always learning somthing from the C-Brats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: