View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: weight forward, increasing capacity. Reply with quote

We are not ready yet, but come retirement and longer range cruising plans, I sure like the sounds of a pair of saddle tanks. Getting weight forward, and increasing capacity.

Harvey
SleepyC

mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what is unfortunately a sign of how bad the marine business is these days, the FT2339 and FT2340 tanks I ordered through OceanLink from Moeller and from both of which I was told that custom tanks have a 3 week delivery time, arrived via UPS today a mere 7 days after my order. There was no ruskh or special handling requested. They are nice looking tanks and I am pleased with the service from both OceanLink and Moeller which can only be described as extremely responsive.

Jim

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Just curious, why are you replacing the fuel tanks on an 04 Cruiser? Is this something I need to look forward to in a few years?

Harvey,

I agree, it would be nice to have saddle tanks…toting 4 or 5 gas jugs along every weekend gets old. Seems most or our weekend exploits require the additional fuel.

Jay

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am replacing the tanks due to a problem compounded (to be honest) by operator error. I cannot draw fuel out of the port tank no matter what I do although it draws fine out of the starboard tank. I was not able to remove the draw tube as whatever fitting is on the end will pass through the fitting installed in the top of the tank. In the process of dealing with this issue, and not focusing sufficient attention on the fact that the top fittings are cast into the rotomolded plastic, I distorted the withdrawal fitting on the top of the tank. Presto, boat owner makes a bad problem worse! The only solution is to replace the tank. After doing research on the C-Brat site, I realize that 2004 is about the vintage when C-Dory was having some tank issues and changed suppliers. I figured that it was bettter to be safe than sorry and that I should replace both tanks while I was at it.

I had been planning on removing and reinstalling both tanks this winter anyhow to check the core underneath, drill out the core and epoxy fill it and most importantly, straighten out the vent hoses, which for both tanks have serious kinks in them. The kinks are serious enough that the fuel fill operation will likely spurt due to improper venting. However, I do not think that inadequate venting is the reason for the inability to draw from the port tank because the kink is not that serious. On top of all of that, the vent fittings in the sides of the hull point forward and do not loop upwards to prevent water ingress.

As long as I was going to do all of that, why not deal with 2 new tanks and get everything straightened out once and for all plus it keeps the tanks symetrical in terms of age and capacity.

Jim
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation; it’s a drag you have to deal with factory problems so early. I am however relieved in that I won’t to replace my fuel tanks in a couple of years.

Hope the installation of your new fuel tanks in flawless and that they give your good service for many years.

I’m in the process of having two custom aluminum 15 gallon saddle tanks fabricated; figure the extra cost will be worth the convenience and add to the boats value.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: