The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel Tanks on 22-Angler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Fuel Tanks on 22-Angler Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine the manufacturer and the source for the fuel tanks I've seen on a 2007 22-Angler. The ones I've seen have an aft-sloping top and fit well under the splashwell. I talked to Fluid Marine who said they typically installed a 23-gallon Moeller tank. The Moeller tank I've seen on their Web site has a flat top.

Anyone have these slope-topped tanks and know who makes 'em?

Thanks,

Tom Herrick
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I had to replace the tanks on my 2002 cruiser and they were just as you described; 23 gallon with aft sloping top and they were made by Moeller. I purchased mine from the factory about 2 years ago. I would guess they were a special-order item for Moeller and that you would have to get them from Seasport? It is possible they got some tanks in the inventory they purchased from Fluid Marine? Check my album for a picture of the tank label.

tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Ken. Thanks much for the info. The tank doesn't seem to be on Moeller's Web site but I'll call 'em in the morning to see what's what.

Thanks again.

Tom Herrick
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at my tanks and the Starboard tank is model number 2339 (as Ken's pic shows) and the port tank is model number 2340. I guess the difference is the fill and vents.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Marvin. I'm fairly sure you're right about the FT2339 and FT2340 being a port and starboard (not necessarily in that order) tank for the fill and vent.

I'll talk to Moeller since their just in the next state (TN) but have a feeling they're only gonna be available from Bellingham.

I'm not totally sold on installing the sole-mounted tanks in my 22-26 redo. There's much to be said for saddle tanks under the gunwales in regard to weight distribution. Plus, since my new transom/splashwell/lazarette configuration won't touch the sole, without tanks underneath that'd be a bunch of nice storage for bulky items like crab pots, buckets, etc.

Still considering using the Moeller 24-gallon port and starboard withdraw gunwale tanks.

Everything's a balancing act...

Tom
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:
I took a look at my tanks and the Starboard tank is model number 2339 (as Ken's pic shows) and the port tank is model number 2340. I guess the difference is the fill and vents.

Just for the heck of it I checked and mine are the same on my 2007.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Roger, and all you guys for above and beyond effort. I've tried to get this basic information from a C-Dory dealer (to go unnamed) for over a month with no response to multiple emails and phone calls and here in under a day three Brats have come through.

I'll talk to Moeller tomorrow AM and see if they're available directly or otherwise.

Much obliged.

Tom
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i made my tanks i was looking for places that would make custom tanks and i found one that would make top side plastic tanks to whatever dimentions you specify, i cant remember the name of the place but if you dont find the moeller tank you need let me know and ill try and find it again, im sure i have it written down somewhere (it was not cheap though)
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moeller says that the C-Dory manufacturer owns the mold and that they have to be acquired through them. Next stop, Sea Sport...

Those 24-gallon saddle tanks Moeller makes are about 8.75-inches across at the top. Since I'd rather they didn't protrude from the gunwale I'd have to make the new gunwale at least 9.5 or 10-inches wide to accomodate. Since the new gunwale alignment will have less of a curve in it I won't have to compensate so much for the straight lines of the tank.

Tom
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tanks are now available from Moeller through one of their vendors. I just ordered, and have received confirmation of my order, both a port and a starboard tank. FT2339 was $210.43 and FT2340 was $209.72, in both cases with shipping to be added. I ordered through Oceanlink (www.oceanlinkinc.com). They did not recognize the tank numbers and had to confirm with their Moeller rep that the tanks would indeed be available. That was confirmed by Moeller. Shipping is expected 3 weeks after the order.

Moeller was great to deal with, found the drawings for both tanks and e-mailed them to me. They do not sell direct and referred me to Oceanlink to make the order where Brenda was also great to work with.

I am wondering if the difference between the response Tom got and the one I got was that Moeller did not get paid for some tanks by Fluid Marine and took over ownership of the molds as a result. Just a thought.

Jim

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
tomherrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Certainly, I don't know what's what with Moeller and Fluid Marine and/or SeaSport, but I was told by Moeller that those tanks were only available at that time through "the manufacturer"; and they didn't identify the manufacturer's name.

For other reasons I've decided against the aft-mounted tanks at this point and will go with a pair of the 24-gallon saddle-mount tanks.

Glad your experience with Moeller was good; mine wasn't bad, just not the answer I was hoping for.

Tom
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back about 20 years ago I put saddle tanks on a 1984 CD Classic (Angler). They were 22 gallons each and I bought them from Overtons by mail.

And the Port side

I still wish I had that 84 Classic. It was bullet proof, and a joy to use, Don't get me wrong, I love the TomCat, but the Classic was so easy to launch, load and use. I also had 24 gallons (2 X 12) of fuel under the motor well (tanks not shown in these pics). Total fuel on board was 68 gallons. The old Evinrude 90 was a gas hog, but still we could stay a couple of weeks at Lake Powell.

Leaving in the AM for Bullfrog, should get launched by mid day.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent,

Gotta agree on the old 22 Angler classic. Les Jr. and I are rebuilding one now and hope to have it waterborne in a couple of weeks. It was an offshore Oregon tuna machine... up to 75 miles out. Big ugly fuel tanks, but when we get the Catch-22 saddle tanks in -- yummy.

Dusty

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
I still wish I had that 84 Classic. It was bullet proof, and a joy to use, Don't get me wrong, I love the TomCat, but the Classic was so easy to launch, load and use.

I know just what you mean. I really like the 25 TyBoo (it's rather a classic, too), but I miss that 22 TyBoo something awful. It was the best fishing boat even though it was the Cruiser model, and a joy to skitter around in.

OK - back to the regularly scheduled fuel tank talk. Thanks for letting me butt in.

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss her too, Mike. Dang, if I had footprints on my backside for the boats I've parted with and wanted back, I'd be a walking bruise.

Duster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: