The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

question on a 14 ft c dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaosk

City/Region: lake almanor
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 14 Angler
Vessel Name: Gansy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: question on a 14 ft c dory Reply with quote

hello all i am looking at a 14 ft c-dory 1992 has a 30 hp eng a few questions is the cabin the same size as in the 16 ft model is it safe to take in the ocean? how much would a camper canvis be around? i noticed the hull shape is diff from a 16 ft angler guy wants 8k for boat 10 hrs on the engine a good buy or should i look for a 16 ft wich i cant find 1 forsale still sorry for all the questions but i really want a c-dory for my first boat on a 10k max budget any help plz ))
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: 14 foot C-Dory Reply with quote

Kaosk,
The cabin on the 14 is a lot smaller than the 16. It is a lot narrower also. Go to the photo albums and look at Hunky Dory Wayne for pictures of the 14 and then go to Scorpio to see the differance. Also look on the C-Dog web site under C-Dorys for sale. They usually have some listed. What area are you liveing in and we can keep looking fo a C-Dory for you. There are a few arround at the price you are saying you can afford.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in westwood by lake almanor in the high sierras just got off phone with the guy that has the 14 ft dory says eng is like brand new same as the boat only 2 slight scratches on bottom from beach landing a 16 ft would be nice if anyone can help me find one my limit is 10k would like one with a good eng low hours THX GUYS
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the beam on the 14 so can't compare to the inch, but the seating shown in the Hunky Dory photos leads me to believe the cabin isn't much (if any) narrower than our 16 Cruiser.

The 14 appears to have the same basic cabin shell as the 16 Angler with an open interior. Probably has the same 2 foot long cockpit as the 16 Cruiser. You're basically giving up the berth of the 16 Cruiser, or the 4' cockpit of the 16 Angler here.

This boat is roughly 1/3 the price of a new 16 footer and I'd personally take a shot at it.

I was going to fully canvas our 16 Cruiser, but have yet to do so based on how our use has turned out. We have the cruise curtain on the back to keep the rain off us, and a full mooring cover.

New 30HP motor should be fine.

Enjoy!

-- Chuck
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaosk,
Sounds like a great price for this boat. We have a 16' angler and love it. You asked if you could take it on the ocean, and that always seems to be up to the owners confidence in their seamanship and their craft. I would not go out in a 14' and do not take our 16' out. We find our 16' works very well in the bays and rivers of the Northwest but that is what we got it for. If I was going asea, I would not go less than a 19'.

My wife and I are very compact in size and a 14' would not be big enough for our comfort. I don't want to talk you out of this 14' but I would urge you to take it for a test drive in varying water conditions and currents to see if you feel safe and if there will be enough room for everything you want to do in this boat now and in the future.

Jon

kaosk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the replys guys i still have a few weeks to think about it ill let u know the out come
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: