The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Two Day Cruise -- San Juan Islands -- Itinerary Ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Two Day Cruise -- San Juan Islands -- Itinerary Ideas? Reply with quote

OK -- I posted on this last Winter and have received some great suggestions. Our annual PNW trip is now underway and I have some last minute questions.

We're in Portland visiting inlaws until Thursday, then we head up to the San Juans. We only have 2 1/2 days for the Islands as we're squeezed between the family obligations, and several days on the Olympic Peninsula and then Lake Tahoe.

Our tentative itinerary:

Day 1: San Juan Island

Launch around 8:00 am -- Washington Park Ramp (Anacortes)

Cruise the ferry route to San Juan Island (Thatcher Pass, above Lopez and Shaw) and then north around to the Lime Kiln Point area for whale watching.

Roche Harbor for lunch. Then afternoon at British Camp (Garrison Bay).

Later afternoon back to Friday Harbor for dinner and the night.

Day 2: Orcas Island

Head over to Orcas Village for breakfast. Then, up to Skull Island (West Sound).

Cruise around to East Sound and visit Eastsound for lunch and the museum.

Rosario Resort for afternoon, dinner, and the night.

Day 3: Return to Anacortes

Return to Anacortes, haul boat, drive down to Sequim for the Lavender Festival.

Questions: In a prior post it was pointed out that Anacortes' Washington Park's ramp was shallow -- dry at minus tides. Anyone have specific experience with launching at minus tides there? We'll be meeting up with friends and camping the night before, and we need to get their car to the Ferry terminal in the am. Tides will be -2 when we want to launch -- is this even possible? If not, where might a good alternative be -- keeping in mind our need to get to the ferry terminal before we launch, making some of the options inside Deception Pass difficult.

As far as the itinerary goes -- we'll be traveling with lots of kids -- feel free to offer observations and better ideas.

As always, thanks for your ideas and experience.

Matt

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, if your first destination is whale watching at Lime Kiln I would suggest that you go around the south end of Lopez and up the outside of San Juan Island. I believe this is a little shorter and with the busy day you have planned I think you will need the time.
I am not sure the status of Rosario Resort but I think the restaurant at the resort is no longer open.
There are so many choices you can't go wrong. You may want to try Deer Harbor Resort and walk up to the very nice restaurant. I can't remember the name but a nice alternative.
You can sling launch at Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes or Skyline Marina. A -2 is a very low tide and would think Washington Park would be a problem.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when washington park is dry and the only other launch is twin bridges which would be near dry at -2 so that not a help. As much as I hate to suggest it you could us the sling at Cape sante. They charge to much but you can get in and out at any tide.

now as for the whales, listen to channel 80,79,78 for the whale boats. you can figure out the whales if you listen. DO NOT ask them for a location or they will go silent. good luck. check my photo ablum for whale photos under "july 2009"

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I'd recommend is to keep your schedule flexible... if everyone is having fun at one place, you don't want to cut that short to move on to the next. For sure, you can't see it all in two days... or two weeks... or even two months. Everytime we go to the San Juans (one of our favorite places, btw), it's always something different.

The sunset ceremony (striking of the flags) at Roche Harbor is always fun to watch. The whales don't always cooperate... and when they do, it's easy to get caught up. If wind/waves are lumpy, you want to have alternate routes.

The San Juans can be an escape from humanity (like the hike to the school on Stewart Island) or the hustle and bustle of Friday Harbor. Ice cream at the general store by Blind Bay or lunch on the deck at Roche Harbor.

Have a great time!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Going around the south end of San Juan Island to get to Lime Kiln is a little shorter. The weather is more of a factor as you are on the edge of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and exposed for more time but you avoid Cattle Pass and that can be ugly with a strong ebb or flood. A minus 2 tide is extremely low and I would try to avoid launching then, just about anywhere. If you have to launch at that tide the sling launch is probably the way to go. Check the hours of operation at Cap Sante Marina and Skyline Marina in Anacortes. I was at Rosario Resort on Friday while on CG Auxiliary patrol. The marina was open and people were coming down from the mansion but I don't know about the restaurant and mansion tour, it has been closed, worth a call. A good alternative for lunch and the afternoon would be Olga, just about a mile and a half before Rosario on the right. There is a public dock but no overnighting. A very good restaurant/art gallery/fun store is about 1/2 mile up the road. There is more than enough to do in Friday Harbor, don't miss the whale museum. Eastsound is fun but moorage is extremely limited. There is space for about 4 C-Dory size boats at the dock so you might be shut out. Not sure what age kids will be with you but Jones Island marine state park at the north end of San Juan channel is a nice stop, nearly tame deer, great scenery. Jim is right, you cannot begin to see all of the San Juans but its all beautiful. We sometimes forget how lucky we are to have this truly world class cruising at our doorstep. It would be a good idea to call for reservations for any marina where you plan to spend the night.

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the suggestion that you sling launch at either Skyline (1/2 hr. closer to the islands at C-Dory speeds, very plentiful tow vehicle/trailer parking) or Cap Sante (right in town, across from grocery stores and other provisioners). Washington park launching can be a really ugly thing at times, especially on a low tide or if small-boat fishermen are impatient to catch a tide change. You will begin your trip in a relaxed, sane manner as well as your trailer won't be sitting in the hot sun with saltwater baking on for a few days. Have a great time! Your itinerary sounds like a wonderful sampling of the Islands in a few days. If you can spare the time head East from EastSound to Olga for a quick walk through a very cool little San Juan Islands hamlet. Best, Mike.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Rosario the cafe by the pool and at the head of the docks is open and Bill the harbormaster is extremely helpful. Although British Camp is interesting and somewhat picturesque, we really enjoyed American Camp. Beautiful views of the water and some great trails out on the bluffs. From Friday Harbor you can hop a bus and ride out there in short order, and get to see some of the island on the way.
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great additions to our itinerary -- thanks. We'll launch at the Skyline hoist. Last year we took the boat/ trailer on the ferry and launched at Roche Harbor -- yikes... gravel, low tide, slipping & sliding.

This year's trip is actually the second half of last year's trip. We had 5 days last year, but on day 3 -- coming back to Roche from a great trip to Victoria -- our old 2 stroke lost a bearing. So, while we had no problem getting back into Roche, it did kill our plans for visiting the other Islands. So, this year we're back with a new Yami 90.

We spent a lot of time exploring San Juan Island last year, so we hope to get to Orcas. I think the suggestions above will add to our trip. I appreciate the suggestions to be flexible -- with 3 kids (and an additional 2 on some legs of the trip) we know that "plans" are put aside as we actually move through the day. I just like to have a menu of sorts planned so as things get slow we can move onto the next thing. Or not.

One more question: I know that the trip to Lime Kiln Point going south around the Islands is faster -- my only concern is whether the chop is an issue. I'd rather take the long route if it's comparatively flat than the short route if my passengers get uncomfortable. My boys and I don't mind the washing machine, but my wife -- who rarely comes along -- does. How does the current and chop differ going south as compared to the ferry route?

Thanks again!

Matt
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on Halcyon in the San Juans - last week with g'kids and son, putting them ashore for camping at State Park islands at night. This weekend, sans guests, we will likely be on Sucia - if you are nearby, give a hail on the radio.

Have a great time, and the others have offered good ideas.

colobear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

In the words of the ancient mariner: "It depends!" Lime Kiln is on the outside of San Juan island so there is no way to get there without some exposure and weather is always an issue. I have made the trip many times in trivial 1ft chop and I have also turned around as the chop was going to be downright uncomfortable if not dangerous. Going around the outside of San Juan Island it is roughly 23 1/4 NM from Skyline to Lime Kiln. Virtually all of that is exposed, either in Rosario Strait or along the edge of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the ferry route as there is no ferry that goes along the outside of San Juan Island. If you mean going through Thatcher Pass, around the top of Lopez and down to Cattle Pass then up the outside of San Juan Island, that is roughly 28 1/5 NM with about 15 NM of that exposed either in Rosario Strait or along San Juan. I generally avoid Cattle Pass unless the current/wind situation is very benign as it can be quite uncomfortable with a wind/tide opposition. The least exposed way to get to Lime Kiln would be to go from Roche Harbor/ Garrison Bay out through Mosquito Pass and down to Lime Kiln. You would be on the outside of San Juan for only 4 NM. That might be the best bet.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, mosquito pass is usually the best. A trip across the south end of lopez and san juan islands can get really uncomfortable.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry - you can indeed overnight at Olga - here's the proof!

But the dock at Olga seems a little exposed for overnighting. Better choice close by is Doe Island Marine State Park. Room for two boats only though.

Finally, an alternative to sling at Cap Sante or Skyline - launch ramp in Bellingham. At C-Dory speeds, it might add an hour traveling time. $5 launch and free parking, not tide-sensitive! Just a thought.

colobear wrote:
A good alternative for lunch and the afternoon would be Olga, just about a mile and a half before Rosario on the right. There is a public dock but no overnighting.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the purpose of traveling around the out side of the island is to see whales then you need to have some Idea of where the whales are. Thats why we always listen to the radio for a while first. Also keep a eye out for the fast rib boats out of victoria for the whales location. If you see then heading north in Rosaria Strait Then the whale ar above Orcas. If I hear that the whales are moving north along the out side of san juan then I would run thru the islands on smoother water and come out of mosquito pass no the south or north side. The whales can be anywhere from Port orchard to nanimo on any given day. While on our last trip we found J and L pod in the active pass area headed for vancouver. Listen to the radio as much as possible
colobear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat. That must be new or....I'm getting older so I can't remember...let's see, what was I talking about??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: