The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory with extended roof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After visiting the Seattle boat show and seeing the ocean sport in person, we have decided to move forward with adding the cantilevered back. One main difference between ours and the others seen here is that we will only cover 60% of the cockpit.

Our hope is that be leaving the aft 40% open, it will allow an area at the rear for fighting the fish. The main limitation I saw to the fully covered cantilevered frames was that it would be difficult to bring a rod to vertical or beyond with the roof getting in the way. By going 60% covered, we will hopefully get a compromise of fishing ability while providing some additional sunshine exposure.

Hopefully some fishing folks can provide their feedback on this plan. I need to get everything figured out by next week.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like this top, but I already have a conventional bimini that's still in good shape, maybe some day.

A question that I don't think has been asked. I see snaps all around the bottom of the enclosure panels (clear vinyl), but I don't see them on the hull. What do those snaps attach to?

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
redbaronace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone with this top provide measurements as to how wide and long your roof is as well as how high above the cabin your canvas is.

I am going to have something made locally and want to get a starting point of how big my unit should be. Since our boat is wider and longer in the back than a 22, I realize it will be different dimensions, but it still might prove helpful.

Finally, is the outer frame of the top inside of the inner most edge of the gunnels? Since we might not have just a top and not a camperback, im not sure if I want water dripping into the cockpit or if it should drip outside of the edge of the gunnels. Seems like if it was outside of the gunnels, it might interfere with headroom when entering and exiting the boat and create a hazzard for bumping your head.

Could really use some help from those with this mod.
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds strange to wish our canvas bimini and canvas enclosure were wearing out.. but I'm sure they will someday. When they do, I'm hoping we do something like this. I love the "handles" along the cabin side for easy entry (except with high fixed docks). We don't fish, so I don't care about that part. I like that it is strong enough for a kayak or whatever you want to put up there. It would be great if it also somehow could do the davit/waterlift assist someone mentioned...because getting that kayak/inflatable up there is a real issue.... (as is me climbing into the boat from the water..even with a swim step..bad knees).

Thanks for posting this!

Mary McClain
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaronace wrote:
<stuff clipped>
Finally, is the outer frame of the top inside of the inner most edge of the gunnels? Since we might not have just a top and not a camperback, im not sure if I want water dripping into the cockpit or if it should drip outside of the edge of the gunnels. Seems like if it was outside of the gunnels, it might interfere with headroom when entering and exiting the boat and create a hazzard for bumping your head.

I can't help you with the measurements but the thing I really liked about the Ocean Sport design as that the extension had a fairly large lip to it to collect water and then the water drains down through the cantilever support and out through a drain in the side of the boat. It may be possible to do that with the Tomcat - e.g. the support would be routed just inside the cabin (perhaps in the hanging locker on the port side and in the head on the starboard side - at least on a 255 - not sure about the layout in the 24). Once inside the cabin a tube would carry the water down and out the side through a drain.

redbaronace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
redbaronace wrote:
<stuff clipped>

I can't help you with the measurements but the thing I really liked about the Ocean Sport design as that the extension had a fairly large lip to it to collect water and then the water drains down through the cantilever support and out through a drain in the side of the boat. It may be possible to do that with the Tomcat - e.g. the support would be routed just inside the cabin (perhaps in the hanging locker on the port side and in the head on the starboard side - at least on a 255 - not sure about the layout in the 24). Once inside the cabin a tube would carry the water down and out the side through a drain.

Not sure if I can create a gutter given that I'm using canvas rather than fiberglass for the roof. I do prefer to not get dripped on if I'm standing at the edge of the canvas. That would partially defeat the purpose of the covering.
Spiralinguist

State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Thug Tug
Photos: Thug Tug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Blue Coral Quote over $6,000; COVID pricing Reply with quote

I just received this quote from blue coral for the cantilevered Bimini:

I have some pricing for you for the C-Dory

The current price for the awning (including canvas) is $5800.00
The Shipping "estimate" is $699.32 (Old Dominion Freight)

Total $6499.32

Anyway give us a call if you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you.
Have a wonderful day.

Susan,
Blue Coral Sport Fishing Towers, Inc.
850-453-0330

Spiralinguist

State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: Thug Tug
Photos: Thug Tug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Cantilevered Bimini top options Reply with quote

Has anyone found a place to order an aluminum frame cantilevered Bimini top besides blue coral towers? Their estimate of $6500 was excessive. I understand some pricing is Covid related but that’s three times as much as others have stated.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure has gone up a lot! I had two made by
Marine Metals Custom Components Inc. 419 SE 6th Street. Williston, FL. 32696 (352) 528-0778. E Mail: troy@boattop.net ...
One for my 22 and one for my 25. Troy does great work but I don’t think he will ship one but who knows. I really like mine and you can see photos in my album. I’ve seen the blue coral ones and they are well done but Troys are slightly different and I don’t get as much water in the boat. Come on down to the Hontoon Island gathering and schedule a time for him to build you one? Florida is nice in March.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Coral has more business than they want. The canvas company nearby is 6 months behind orders. They usually want the boat there to get it just right. Tom's cantilevered Bimini is equally as good.

Check with Atlantic Towers in New Jersey. They have a good reputation.[/list]

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cantilevered Bimini top options Reply with quote

Spiralinguist wrote:
Has anyone found a place to order an aluminum frame cantilevered Bimini top besides blue coral towers? Their estimate of $6500 was excessive. I understand some pricing is Covid related but that’s three times as much as others have stated.

The cost of aluminum is through the roof right now. The $2350 quoted earlier in this thread was ten years ago.

I've been designing and thinking on a cantilevered hardtop similar to these, and I bought some stainless steel because it is cheaper than aluminum right now. It was more than double what I paid for the same material just one year ago, though...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: