The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory with extended roof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Dr. Bob,

I agree that a large tidal flux and fixed docks could be a problem.

This is the dock at Panama City Marina, Florida. The CD 22 is Kurbit.
At times the tide was even lower than this pic shows. We would have to climb on the cabin roof and step over to the dock. I don't think the fixed cockpit canopy would be any harder than negotiating around a bimini top. The hardtop would be easier to hold on to than the flimsy bimini. You could egress from the other side of the boat, go forward and onto the dock from the bow.

Brent

Good plan to save the coffee!

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Here's a picture of the Ocean Sport 34 fiberglass roof extension. This is the kind of thing I'd want for a TomCat.

The aft support rail serves as a "rain gutter".

Thats really nice too. Would be nice to be out on the cockpit and still protected from the rain.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love these cantilevered bimini designs. especially for fishing and UV protection!

If I were the C-Dory manufacturer, I'd offer it as a factory option along with a couple of canvas enclosure alternatives, although I know it can be done as an aftermarket add-on where (and if) you can find a fabrication shop for the metal work close by! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to build something similar using aluminum channel and flatstock. Match paint the aluminum then cover the top with smoked polycarbonate, I really don't care about side curtains.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to build something similar using aluminum channel and flatstock. Match paint the aluminum then cover the top with smoked polycarbonate, I really don't care about side curtains.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make all kinds of things out of this stuff.

http://www.8020.net/
easternshore22

City/Region: Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information Robert. Was the canvas top sourced through Blue Coral and sent as a package (frame + canvas top)? If not, who made the canvas top for you?

Hi David,

Yes, the frame and canvas top was sourced through Blue Coral. They had someone come in and make the canvas top. Blue Coral made the frame just a bit different than Roger's because they did not have the boat.

Hi,

I am looking to ask Blue Coral to make me a frame and canvas similar to Roger's and Brazo's for my 96 Angler. I know that since the Angler has a longer cockpit, it will not cover all of it, but I am ok with that.
Questions:
1) How long is it?
2) Does anybody sees a problem using the same anchoring for the frame in a 96 Angler?

Thanks,

Franco

Eastern Shore, MD
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that Blue Coral would make the cantalevered top longer if you wanted. Any good pipe welder can make this type of frame. If I was making one, I would do a mock up with PVC and then have a local welder do the work in AL, so it fits the boat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
redbaronace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody who has done this cantilevered top comment as to how it performs for fishing. I am specifically meaning Salmon, Halibut, Ling Cod, or other larger fish where the rod utilized might be taller, require pulling the rod toward you when fighting it and at the end when pulled backward as the netting person steps between to land the fish.

The main thing im curious about is whether the rod will hit the top of the awning frame and make it more difficult to fight a fish.
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in having one of these cantilevered canvas frames built for my boat and have similar questions about fishability as was asked by the last post from Redbaronace.

redbaronace wrote:
Can anybody who has done this cantilevered top comment as to how it performs for fishing. I am specifically meaning Salmon, Halibut, Ling Cod, or other larger fish where the rod utilized might be taller, require pulling the rod toward you when fighting it and at the end when pulled backward as the netting person steps between to land the fish.

The main thing im curious about is whether the rod will hit the top of the awning frame and make it more difficult to fight a fish.

Can someone with these frames please comment from a fishing prospective?
Thanks,
Grazer
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never salmon fished from a c-dory with a cantilever back, so I'm not qualified to answer but I will anyways Moon

We've fished alot for tuna from various boats with cantilever and also bimini hoop style canvas. For tuna and the gear we were using then, no top was the best, but the cantilever design was the second choice....

Having the rear hoops is the biggest PITA when fighting a fish, so the cantilever design is an improvement. You don't have that ackward moment when you need to move toward the transom and pass the rod around the hoop, so thats good. The upside of the hoops is that you can lay it forward or remove it completely.

Our rods we used for tuna were alot shorter and stiffer then our downrigger rods we use for salmon so clearence was not as big of an issue. 6' instead of 9'. Also for tuna we arent trying to keep the rod tip way up and tension on the rod like you would want to with a barbless hook salmon gear. You didnt have to worry about the downriggers either. When I get a shaker on, or eelgrass fowls my fishing hardware without releasing the clip.... I've gotta reel down and really reef on my 9' rod to get that line to release so i can get back to fishing. I would guess that would be a challenge with a roof design like that, and there might not be the clearance. Also where do i put the big net where I can grab it easy when the big one hits?

None of that is really an issue if all you have on is a 4 lb humpy barely putting up a fight, but what if you hook up to 40 lb king and are in for a battle? A single little thing is all it takes to loose that fish, and then my family and friends are stuck listening to another "one that got away story" lol
redbaronace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
Ive never salmon fished from a c-dory with a cantilever back, so I'm not qualified to answer but I will anyways Moon

We've fished alot for tuna from various boats with cantilever and also bimini hoop style canvas. For tuna and the gear we were using then, no top was the best, but the cantilever design was the second choice....

Having the rear hoops is the biggest PITA when fighting a fish, so the cantilever design is an improvement. You don't have that ackward moment when you need to move toward the transom and pass the rod around the hoop, so thats good. The upside of the hoops is that you can lay it forward or remove it completely.

Our rods we used for tuna were alot shorter and stiffer then our downrigger rods we use for salmon so clearence was not as big of an issue. 6' instead of 9'. Also for tuna we arent trying to keep the rod tip way up and tension on the rod like you would want to with a barbless hook salmon gear. You didnt have to worry about the downriggers either. When I get a shaker on, or eelgrass fowls my fishing hardware without releasing the clip.... I've gotta reel down and really reef on my 9' rod to get that line to release so i can get back to fishing. I would guess that would be a challenge with a roof design like that, and there might not be the clearance. Also where do i put the big net where I can grab it easy when the big one hits?

None of that is really an issue if all you have on is a 4 lb humpy barely putting up a fight, but what if you hook up to 40 lb king and are in for a battle? A single little thing is all it takes to loose that fish, and then my family and friends are stuck listening to another "one that got away story" lol

Yeah, your explanation pretty much was the conclusion that I reached. I contacted the members on the forum who have this beautiful cantilevered design on their boats. All of them pretty much said that they are not fishing people so it did not come into play.

Since we want to be able to fish and cruise, we will need to stick with the traditional bimini configuration. bummer.
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I hear what your saying. It looks like it would still work for fishing though albeit somewhat challenging to handle a net on a salmon or harpoon a big hali. I think perhaps a shorter version. say around 4 feet, would give both sun/rain protection and an open area aft to fight and land fish. This configuration would also allow for the addition of a camper back while being slightly angled to the stern of the boat.

Grazer
Ray

City/Region: Pamlico River
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often thought that it would not be that hard to make a release-pin, hinged version of the cantilever top that rotated and flipped up and over onto the roof (provided there was no arch)?

Tie it down to the handrails for safety.

Seems like a straightforward modification to a great design......
redbaronace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I have often thought that it would not be that hard to make a release-pin, hinged version of the cantilever top that rotated and flipped up and over onto the roof (provided there was no arch)?

Tie it down to the handrails for safety.

Seems like a straightforward modification to a great design......

I thought about that too, but we have rocket launchers on the boat in addition to a radar on a mount.

To fabricate this starts to add complexity to the project and probably could never be within our budget unless I was able to provide the labor myself. Unfortunately, that is beyond my scope and abilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: