The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory with extended roof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far was the frame shipped for the $150?

It would be great to have someone like Bluye Coral build it, as they already have the plans, measurements, templates, etc.

What would it cost to send it across from the East Coast to the West Coast, and would it stand much of a chance arriving intact? (Not bent up!)

We could do no better than about a 50% average in getting a sailboat mast from San Diego or Los Angles to the Bay Area, so we started bring them up ourselves during trips for regattas. Seems the forklift operators liked to run over them, even though we wrapped the outside paper tubes with spiral red tape, etc!

I really like these shade covers without the support arms that are typically found on most Bimini tops that interfere with fishing and getting into and out of the boat.

I need to stay out of the sun as much as possible, after 33 years of racing sailboats. Dr.'s Orders!!!

Don't need side coverings here on Lake Shasta. I have them on my SeaRay, but leave them rolled up most all year long. No no-see-ems, almost no mosquitoes, and the cabin of both boats is plenty adequate in size without a second enclosed area, plus both boats are in covered moorage.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I'm not exactly sure on the $150 - but very close to that number. Blue Coral www.bluecoraltowers.com is in Pensacola, Florida and we are in Madison, WI -- about 1000 miles.

They packaged the frame very carefully and we had no dents/scratches/etc. They made a minor modification to the frame that allowed it to be shipped easier (the support arms are hinged).

They did an awesome job on our canvas frame - very professionally done - not just straight work, it actually has a nice style to it. I worked with Roland from Blue Coral - I'm guessing that he is the owner(850-453-0330). Roland followed up with me a few times to see how the install went - he was first reluctant to do the frame without the boat, but after e-mailing them a number of times they agreed to do it. His concern was how close the fit on the boat would be when I installed it -- it was basically perfect fit.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO wrote:
Hi Joe,

I'm not exactly sure on the $150 - but very close to that number. Blue Coral www.bluecoraltowers.com is in Pensacola, Florida and we are in Madison, WI -- about 1000 miles.

They packaged the frame very carefully and we had no dents/scratches/etc. They made a minor modification to the frame that allowed it to be shipped easier (the support arms are hinged).

They did an awesome job on our canvas frame - very professionally done - not just straight work, it actually has a nice style to it. I worked with Roland from Blue Coral - I'm guessing that he is the owner(850-453-0330). Roland followed up with me a few times to see how the install went - he was first reluctant to do the frame without the boat, but after e-mailing them a number of times they agreed to do it. His concern was how close the fit on the boat would be when I installed it -- it was basically perfect fit.

Thank You, Robert, for the excellent and thoughtful response!

I'll follow up with it!

The two boats pictured are 2007 and 2008 models, I think with the high top roof (?) Does anyone know of any differences between those boats and my 1987 Cruiser (with a normal height top) that would make the fit of the tube structure or canvas cover fit my boat different than those discussed? Robert? Roger? Marc? Anyone?

Thanks, All!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sea Wolf"]
BRAZO wrote:

The two boats pictured are 2007 and 2008 models, I think with the high top roof (?) Does anyone know of any differences between those boats and my 1987 Cruiser (with a normal height top) that would make the fit of the tube structure or canvas cover fit my boat different than those discussed? Robert? Roger? Marc? Anyone?

Thanks, All!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

I'm not sure of the difference in other boat years. There is one other CD 22 here in town. I'm not sure of the year and do not think he is on the list. I will try and make contact with him. He would probably be agreeable to let Roland make some measurements.

The thought just came to me. When is the next CD gathering? Maybe someone could look for the differences in years of the boats that are there.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
Capt Harpoon

City/Region: St. Lawrence River
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Hag
Photos: Sea Hag
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would resurrect this 18-month old thread to ask:
1) has anyone else done a top like this?
2) if Roger (C-Lover) and Robert (Brazo) were going to do it again, would you make any changes to the design?
3) Would any design difference be necessary to fit our 2006 (with low roof) instead of your 2007 and 2008 (with high roof)?
We originally thought a conventional bimini top was best for us, but after going through a couple design options we are looking at your canvas frames again as a real possibility for us.
Thanks.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have a cockpit top made for our TomCat. Like the ones pictured here. I am in Texas ( Rockport ) and our boat is in Utah. I have talked to fabricators here in Texas, but no one is willing to make a top without having the TomCat in their shop. I want a cockpit cover strong enough to carry an 8' 6" inflatable dingy. I also want a full camperback for use in British Columbia and Alaska. I guess i understand the fabricators requirement to have the boat on site. Any other TomCat owners interested in a cockpit hardtop? The coastal states have many fabricators, Utah not so many, or maybe none at all.

Brent

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, I've thought about it but it would add a lot of weight (several hundred pounds) to the TomCat to fully cover the cockpit with a hardtop. Also, it does require permanent supports in the read corners which will inhibit fishing. What I'd like is a 2' extension of the cabin roof into the cockpit.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Harpoon wrote:
2) if Roger (C-Lover) and Robert (Brazo) were going to do it again, would you make any changes to the design?

No design changes on our end - we LOVE the frame/bimini top. After having the frame/bimini top, I won't have a C-Dory without one.
Capt Harpoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Robert, that is what I wanted to know!
I emailed Blue Coral Towers this morning and hope to hear back from them soon.
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Harpoon wrote:
I thought I would resurrect this 18-month old thread to ask:
1) has anyone else done a top like this?
3) Would any design difference be necessary to fit our 2006 (with low roof) instead of your 2007 and 2008 (with high roof)?
We originally thought a conventional bimini top was best for us, but after going through a couple design options we are looking at your canvas frames again as a real possibility for us.
Thanks.

This has worked well for me and would not make any changes. That being said, I'm getting ready to take a little trip for about a month. There is a local guy that can make the top out of fiberglass for about $500. I've seen his work and it looks factory. I'm going to check it out when I get back.

Roger
Capt Harpoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a Rosborough?!
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
I would like to have a cockpit top made for our TomCat.

Brent, you are an avid fisherman -- won't a permanent hardtop interfere with your fishing?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a couple that we meet in Homer in 91-92 that had the factory add storage compartments on the roof above the door. They also had a fiberglass hard lid incorporated above the back deck. Very useable space as we all know is a premium.
thataway

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts: You may want to have a "hump" up to bring the height in the cockpit higher than the actual top of the back of the cabin. The center of the roof crown in my TC 255 is 74" and at the edges seems to be about 1.5" less. My Bimini has another 10" above the cabin roof, and a sloping panel to the cabin top. You could do a solid top, and then a canvas panel? You want ventillation in the heat of the day, especially at Powell under the Bimini or top: it gets pretty hot under there. I probably would duplicate the crown of the roof, put in some ventillation (clear hatches do work as solar collectors, even in dark shades). I had a hard top over a flying bridge--about 11 x 12 feet. It was made out of patio roof material--2" styrofoam with aluminum skins and then one layer of glass cloth over the top, with it draped over the edges (epoxy), to give finished edges. This was then painted with Awlgrip. It was strong enough to walk on. But it was flat--that is why I recommend some crown.

Also think about entrance into the aft cockpit from a higher dock. Occasionally it is easier for us to unzip the forward pannel (zippers fore and aft on the pannel for side access.

Wow--$500 is a fantastic price--but my guess is that it would be considerably more with a crown, hump, finished sides and insullation for a Tom Cat. There are top makers who will take your dimensions and make what you want. A mold is not that hard to make (Formica waxed)

As for the back, with fiberglass you can canteleaver the back with supports further forward. We did this with the large top over the flying bridge on the Symbol we owned. A couple of feet of cantelevering is strong and easy to do. But also remember that you want access to this top--and probably want it no further out than the gunnels or cocpit combing?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
For anyone wanting to see Brazo's extended roof, here it is:

and the frame:

and a link for the WHOLE STORY

Nice job, Robert!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

As you can see from the pics, the canopy has NO REAR LEGS to impede fishing. Also the top is at least a foot higher than the cabin top. Roger said that his canopy weight was around 40 lbs. and the canvas weighted more than the frame. I realize that a top for the TomCat would be a foot wider and longer than the CD 22 top, but it might not add that much more weight. Even if it did require another leg, it could be positioned 1/2 way back along the frame. It would still be less to fish around than a standard bimini top, with all the bows.

Brent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: