The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Recommend a New VHF for the boat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
triehl27

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ponchita
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Recommend a New VHF for the boat? Reply with quote

I am going to have to replace my Icom VHF, the display had died on it. I want keep it around $100 or less. I see Uniden, has one and West Marine has a couple of different models.

Anyone have any recommendations on Models, or features I should look for? THanks
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a lot of research on VHF's and have come to the conclusion that without any doubt the 2 best brands are ICOM and Standard Horizon and I would go out of my way to buy a SH radio, not particularly for the radio but for the quality of the Company service.

I had an old SH Intrepid on my boat and I was having troubles with the DSC. The radio is almost 10 years old and WAY out of warranty. I called SH and they answered on like the second ring and told me to send it in.
Within about 10 days the radio came back, no charge, with the dsc board and a new pigtail installed, and all the other functions checked out.

I've also had 3 different Uniden's and while they have been decent radios, Co. service is awful. Suggest before you get one you try and call their service dept. If you can find a number, I'll bet you choose other before you get a phone pick-up. Not ragging on the Co. just passing along one persons first hand experience.

At any rate, the inexpensive SH's are the Matrix and Quest, I believe (a standard no fault 3 yr. warranty policy). Try to get a Class D radio, I think everything except handlelds are dsc.
I have a Uniden UM525 on the boat right now and it seems to be a good radio, with a very big screen and a good 25 watt, 30 ohm Hailer. I think the westMarine 525 is a rebranded Uniden 525 and at least you would get someone to talk to there. But if my current Uniden develops a problem, I am going to consider it a throwaway, and go back to my SH. Some of the SH execs are former Uniden guys who left because of the service policies.

Good luck, you might want to call ICOM first on your old radio, they also have a great reputation and you might be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11905_Standard_Horizon_Quest__VHF_Radio.html

Good luck, Chris

Last edited by cemiii on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Noreaster

City/Region: Wallace
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Nor'easter
Photos: Nor'easter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: VHF Radio Reply with quote

I have a Uniden Oceanus DSC (Digital selective calling) VHF. They run a little over $100. Have a 1 button distress feature that, once you register the radio, as long as you interface it with your GPS will give your position to the Coast Gaurd and all other DSC radio equipped boats. I've had it for three years and it works great. Thankfully, I haven't needed the distress feature. You can also hand off your present position and receive present position from selected friends, once you program the radio to do so. Great for letting your good friends in on your present hotspot without telling everyone. [/code]
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another thread that indicated a respectable in warranty service incident with Uniden, so my experience could have been unusual or maybe they are getting better.

Chris
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: VHF Reply with quote

ICOM and SH are no doubt excellent products. I personally use a Raymarine Ray55 DSC radio connected to an 8' Digital Antenna model 529VW.

I recently tested the range and had a "loud and clear" reply 16nm to the north, through some land (Salem MA to Rockport MA). The components will affect range and other features as much as the radio itself (i.e. good antenna, good connectors, etc.)

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Bellingham CBGT I would appreciate it if someone who knows what they are doing WRT VHF radios would come listen to my radio and see if the receive/transmit range is decent. Lori has long complained that our transmissions are not getting through...

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting a DSC capable radio. You'll need a GPS source signal to make best use of it though. I'm using a West Marine VHF650 ($150.00) with a Shakespeare Mariner 8900 8' VHF Antenna ($150.00). The radio is extremely light and portable, easy to use, and has a built in hailer. I got everything on sale this spring, saved about 25%.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: