Rod Holders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan365

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Rod Holders Reply with quote

Ok - its time for a new fishing related topic. I have two Cannon Uni-trolls and so far, love them. they are mounted on swivel mounts near the rear of the gunnel.

I need 4 rod holders mounted because: Two rod holders so that I can fish 4 rods with the down riggers (one rod on each downrigger and two more rods in separate holders = 4) Also, fishing B10 I will not use downriggers so will need 4 independant rod holders.

I hope that's not too confusing. What I would like is opinions on where to mount the 4 rod holders.

I've considered everything from two flush mount behind the lazerettes and two on the gunnel to, two on the gunnel - two on the stern wall.......

Thanks,

Dan
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, I also wanted another 2 rod holders on C-Fisher. The best answer I found was from a picture of Da Nag's 19 ft. He had a custom Stainless Steal rail made to mount in front of the engine splash well. He has a picture of his I believe in his album. When I had C-Fisher rigged at EQ I showed a picture of Da Nag to Les and he let me know he had done some for 22 ft'ers allready. He set me up with a place called RailMakers in Everett and they made mine. I have 3 rod holders on it now and use the middle one for my net. I like useing the rod holders on the rail better then the downriggers since I don't have to lean out over the side of the boat to get the pole off the downrigger holder. So right now I have 5 rod holders counting the downriggers and could easily fit one more. I will try to get a picture of mine in my album before I go to work tomorrow.

Wayne
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have a camper canvas and often have at least the top up, I haven’t really warmed up to the idea of rocket launcher storage at the back of the cabin. I’m not sure I know what the perfect solution is yet, but what I’ve used the last couple of years is a three-rod plastic holder from Cabelas (model 01-4970; it also comes in four and six rod models). It’s designed for permanent mounting, but I pop-riveted a section of ½” aluminum channel on the back side so that I could simply hang it off the top of the Starboard fuel tank bulkhead. The whole thing is easily removable and does not interfere with the canvas top. Now I want to go to a four-rod holder and see that Cabelas has a new model (01-6898). It comes with a removable wall mount and can be had in four or five rod models, though I think the five-rod is too long at 24.5” for mounting on one side. The four-rod is 19” long and should be perfect. My thought is to pop rivet the wall mount brackets directly to the Starboard bulkhead. Then I can still easily remove the holder assembly, but it will be more secure when installed and underway.
Good luck,
Al
dan365

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, When I go to Da-Nag's photo album I don't see the rack or rod holders - I recall seeing what you are talking about though in someone's album and I also recall seeing a cooler strapped down to this rack.

I really like this idea both for a cooler and rod holders - I'll keep searching and would love to see a photo of what you've done and contact information as well as $$$ for the business you mentioned.

Thanks much,

Dan
dan365

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Al,

I think your talking about storage for rods which is another issue I have. I love the look of those rocket launchers but they don't seem practical for me with a canvas top on. Carrying 4 or 5 rods can be very difficult.

Thanks,

Dan
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the B~C album you'll see a tray mounted across the motor well. I have two rod holder basses mounted on the tray. Tray, with hinged lid works great for many purposes. I've upgraded and reworked it since the pictures in the album....just one of many possibilties

Last edited by B~C on Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just added the Pics to my album

Wayne
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, I've got to Uni-Trolls(upgraded to mag 10 electrics) mounted aft on the gunnel. I mounted my "Fish-Ons" amidships http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album30/IMG_1395.sized.jpg . This works well for me. I can fish two deep on the 'riggers and two shallow(er) on the holders or I can fish four deep by stacking the 'riggers. Also, since the mounts are located @ the widest part of the hull they're perfectly located for hanging my fenders. Pete

True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Halibut Rod Holders? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a good halibut rod holder system. I use Fish On's and they don't fare well in this application. I know your never supposed to put your rod in a holder but I just can't help myself some times.

I'd like a unit that can swivel horizontally and solidly holds the rod either by the length of the holder its self or has a reel seat that fits the larger Penn reels. I've seen rigid SS holders that mount to gunnel railing but, I've got no railing.

Thanks, Tim
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fish-ons leave something (a lot) to be desired. Scotty makes a "Striker" model which is a big upgrade over their standard or the Fish-on. They say they are designed for muskie, halibut & bigger fish. I switched to those a while back and have had no problems. I also use the bases to mount my fish cleaning table, etc.

The Scotty "Striker" rod holders have stainless steel reinforced posts & a larger opening for the "butt" rods plus there designed so you can get the rod out quickly and easily. Scotty #240 for the rodholder with the combination deck/side mount.

Last edited by Mighty Bite on Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Halibut Rod Holders? Reply with quote

True Story wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good halibut rod holder system. I use Fish On's and they don't fare well in this application. I know your never supposed to put your rod in a holder but I just can't help myself some times.

I'd like a unit that can swivel horizontally and solidly holds the rod either by the length of the holder its self or has a reel seat that fits the larger Penn reels. I've seen rigid SS holders that mount to gunnel railing but, I've got no railing.

Thanks, Tim

Scotty. I haven;t tried the strike type, but when it comes to Tuna and Halibut I try to keep from using the two fish ons that came with my boat. If I weren't so cheap and the holes lined up I would have already pulled them off my boat and replaced them with Scottys.
Take a look at my album and you will understand that I have just a little experience with this question Wink Laughing .

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, the Scotty bases are very similar to the Fish-on. I don't think they will interchange, but they are close and the hole spacing very well may match up. If so the beney there would be no new holes!

The Strikers are the best thing I've found.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C has one of the best pole holders there is on board most of the time. Of, course it is very, very expensive. The brand name is actually Tyler, but he just calls him Rod - as in Rod Holder. Those times when Rod can't go fishing (like when he breaks his butt or something), Ken swears by the Scotty Strikers.

He even talked me into getting a couple of the Strikers. They are very well made, but I think they are kind of awkward to use, and the pole (we use skinny ones) tends to rock around in them. I actually prefer the standard all plastic Scottys. Tried the Fish Ons, because they were already on our first boat. But we didn't try them for very long.

One problem I have had with the Scottys is rounding off the lug that prevents the holder stem from coming up and out of the mount. I also have a couple of mounts in which the stem doesn't want to stay seated, and the holder can all of a sudden turn so the rod is pointed straight back when it gets hit. It even happened a few times when trolling without being hit, which is usually how my trolling goes.

On the TyBoo 25, the holders have to be mounted on the railing, which I don't care for. If I was getting a new 22, I do believe I would have the factory install the stainless tube type holders set into the gunnels. If I had a 22 already, I would still like to have the fixed holders, but I would probably screw up trying to install them myself. Knowing that, I would (and have) go with the the Scotty jobs.

I wonder how Da Nag likes them fancy polished brass jobs he keeps needing more parts for. And I wonder how the latest parts worked out for him. And I wonder if Catman if really going to make it to Cathlamet.

Sorry about the lead in joshing here, but that doggone Dogon guy and his northern cohort 3rd Byte have got me all wound up. Ain't this place fun?

Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun is right, and speaking of that, I'm going to have to see if I can get Dogon Dan down to the CBC/SBS next year and liven that place up!

Are you telling me, Mike, that Bill is still wrestling with those rod holders dating back to the 17th century. Sheeesh, I thought those were laid to rest, along with a proper ceremony of course, some time back.

I thought about one of them critters like B~C has got but the added weight compared to a 20 oz rod holder gave me pause. Figured I could handle the weight after a few calculations, but didn't think I could come up with another groceries to feed 'em.

Oh yeah, from what I hear Catman is game for most anything!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: