View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Downriggers Reply with quote

I am getting ready to outfit our boat with downriggers and I have a few questions :

1. Penn or Scottys
2. Manual or electric
3. On the Penns can the swivel base be removed like the Scotty
4. Is Penn really not making electric downriggers anymore. (spare part availability)
5. How stable are they when you use the recessed rod holder adapter.

Thanks
Fred
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Penn downriggers Reply with quote

On Snoopy-C I have Penn electric downriggers. They work excellent. I've used Scotty and Canon electrics, but prefer the Penn. I have the pole holers on the downrigger, and they are plenty stable. I have 4 ft boom, and use a cable clip to pull in the cable when I need to hook the fishing line to the downrigger. I do use Scotty clips however. The swivel base still uses the stationary mount on it, so the downrigger can be removed easily. However, on Snoopy-C I have a bolt through the bracket on the downrigger which can have a lock to hold it inplace. I therefore never remove the downrigger, and feel comfortable with having it on the boat when I'm not around. Parts are easily obtained through Penn website. I still see new Penns around the stores in this area. Ron
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: electric vs. manual Reply with quote

Sorry about forgetting the rest of the question. If you ever use electric downriggers, and you use downriggers very often, you'll never consider using manuals again. However, once again, on the manuals, I think that Canon is ok, but I prefer Penn. I don't really like the horizontal reel of the Scotty.
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't want to make your decision difficult but I prefer Scotty's. My last boat I had Penn's they were nice but I like my new Scotty's better. The retreave on the Scoty's is at least twice as fast and some how they made them pull half the drain on the batteries. I also like the clutch handle on the Scotty's, very easy to use to lower the ball down. I think the horizontal spool on the Scotty's operate the same to me as the vertical Penn's but the Scotty's are more compact. Looking down the cable on the vertical Penn's allways made me nervous if the cable was to break it could come back on you. Not only do the swivel bases remove easy but the tilt up gives you lots of options for travel positions. Yes only choose manual if you have no power to opperate. Being able to hit the switch and forget the downrigger when you got a fish on is well worth the price. For the rod holders I just installed a custom rail forward of the splashwell kind of like Da Nag had on his 19 ft. This is where I mount my rod holders. I like this better so I don't have to lean out over the side of the boat to get my pole off the downrigger mount. Which ever way you go Penn or Scotty's you will love them. They really up the chance to catch your fish.

Good Luck
Wayne
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently heard that Penn was going to quit building downriggers. Better check first. I've had them both, and I much prefer Scotty.

My 2 cents,

Bill
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Downriggers Reply with quote

Anita Marie wrote:
I am getting ready to outfit our boat with downriggers and I have a few questions :

1. Penn or Scottys
2. Manual or electric
3. On the Penns can the swivel base be removed like the Scotty
4. Is Penn really not making electric downriggers anymore. (spare part availability)
5. How stable are they when you use the recessed rod holder adapter.

Thanks
Fred

1. Scottys
2. Electric, I will never own another manual downrigger, ever.
3. I have a Scotty so I do not have to worry about it.
4. see #3, also Scotty has a lifetime warrantee.
5. I use rod holders on the boat. I have been fortunate to catch some very large fish and do not trust the rod holders on the downriggers. Well that and mine did not come with one....

I could not be more pleased with my scotty electric. I have fished 400 feet deep and it is just a joy to fish with. All alone, no problem. Flip the switch and fight the fish, priceless. I can't wait to add another one.

I bought mine used. Had to replace the cord end and the cable. Not one single problem so far. I highly recommend them.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
pugetsounder

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Haileigh's Comet
Photos: Haileigh's Comet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Fred!
I have had Penn manual downriggers and I really liked them, but I would go fer electrics.
Penn electrics are my favorites for easy operation, but they don't make them any more.
I have Scotty's on Haileigh's comet and am quite happy with them.
The big plus for Scotty is the fact that they use far less current so are not so hard on the batteries.
On Penns, the swivel base stays on the boat. I think there was a pair on Little Buddy when you bought it.
I have the pole holders on the downrigger and they work fine.
I'm not sure what you mean by stable . I'm not worried about them breaking thats for sure. I don't set the drag that tight on my reel.
I just read your post again and realized that you are talking about the mount for the downrigger.
Some of my marina neighbors have them, and they seem to work good.
They do allow for a clutter free gunnel.
You are welcome to come play with our's if you like.
dp
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a few years, but here was my final vote:

I prefer Cannon for reason of the clutch-design: It will allow "slip" (as a "clutch" should)

When my electric Scotty snags-bottom, it will break the cable (if the engine is engaged) The Cannon does not but will; slip-the-clutch because its drive-system is first run through the shaft that drives it's clutch.

It is not much more strain on the batteries than the Scotty is, and it's much quieter.

Another thing I noticed (at least on my down riggers, and there a few years old) is the tapered spool on the Cannon does not snag and tangle it's cable in the spool as much as my Scotty (non-tapered) does!

There are "trade-offs" between them both... it's still a close match.... I say get both! And make sure (if you have the 'mola-$$) go electric!!
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fred, do you remember the action we had this September for silvers?
That's probably good enough reason to go with electric. King fishing is even more work, you'd be cranking 2 to 3 times more than silver fishing and with the manual, the chances of losing fish increase, especially fishing alone. It's a bummer losing a nice king on your downrigger wire because the crew couldn't crank it up fast enough. Right Bill? Crying or Very sad

I don't really know what the better brand is, but if you got the money I'd go electric.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon - CLou wrote:
It's a bummer losing a nice king on your downrigger wire because the crew couldn't crank it up fast enough. Right Bill? Crying or Very sad

Somehow, I don't think criticizing the captain would be wise, so I'll refrain from commenting. Especially when he cleans your fish.

I just long for the good old days - when he baited my hook as well... Laughing

Anita Marie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input from everyone. It looks like I will get one 1106 Scotty. I like the boom extension. I was really interested in the Penn electrics but if they are not going to make them anymore I guess I would be SOL if something went wrong and I needed parts.

Fred
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Marie,

I must apologize for giving you bad information.

Quote:
Recently heard that Penn was going to quit building downriggers. Better check first. I've had them both, and I much prefer Scotty.

In my new 2005 Cabalas catalog, there is an electric "850 Penn Downrigger."

Earlier when you posted your question about downriggers, I had just been on the telephone with a downrigger repair shop in Portland. They had overhauled my Penn electric and in the course of conversation, advised me that Penn would be dropping the downrigger line.

I do still prefer the Scotty and for me, I have received excellent service from their repair center in Concord, Calif.

Bill
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both the Penn and Scotty electric downriggers. In my humble opinion the Scotty electric is a clear cut winner. Pros & cons have already been discussed & don't need repeating.

Good luck!

Anita Marie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good info because I bought Scotty electrics. I will be using them for the first time Friday.

Thanks
Fred
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love the Scotty's. Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: