View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, and my rode twists anyway, and my anchor has an annoying habit of coming to my roller upside down, and falling off the side and hitting the gelcoat if I'm not paying attention (or someone else is manning the button and I'm managing rode in the locker).

Swivel or not, if I'm anchoring in over 100' of water, my rode comes up twisted. I imagine the problem would be much more dramatic if I had no swivel.

I plan on keeping my swivel, though it's certainly the weak spot in my ground tackle. I'm not sure why I would wake up to the sound of my boat on the rocks if the swivel failed. I'd hope that I'd wake to the sound of my anchor drag alarm and get up and fix the problem while still safely afloat, and would avoid sleeping at an anchorage that didn't afford the opportunity to wake up and reset my anchor before drifting aground.

For what it's worth, one could always put their swivel between a couple chain links and snub across it with a shackle (clevis!) for sleeping, if that made you sleep better. But still use an anchor drag alarm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: