View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doolittle

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Doolittle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the 90 with an 8 ho electric start kicker. The kicker can be pull started if the battery is dead and in no time I got enough charge to start the big engine. Any more HP than an 8 is unnecessary as you will achieve max displacement hull speed and a 10 or 15 is not going To get you on a plane.
Doolittle

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Doolittle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the 90 with an 8 hp electric start kicker. The kicker can be pull started if the battery is dead and in no time I got enough charge to start the big engine. Any more HP than an 8 is unnecessary as you will achieve max displacement hull speed and a 10 or 15 is not going To get you on a plane.
crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Steve - Thanks I did attempt contact with DayBreak, hopfully Reply with quote

Love to hear how they like their 23. Hate to bug them now. Gonna look at the one Marty has on the lot if it's still there in a few weeks:-)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outboards all have a WOT of about 6000 RPM--no difference if 200 hp or 90hp.

To get the same speeds, you will or at least should be to prevent lugging, be running twins and singles at the same speeds. You want your boat to be propped to get the Max Speed at WOT. If you only get 4000 RPM at WOT your boat is under performing, and the engine is being harmed.

The nose and fuel burn will be very close in today's modern outboards. The maintenance costs will probably be less with the one large and kicker.

I suspect the reliability of modern outboards is way beyond 95% more like 99.998% or something in that category. I have been of the single group. I have some issues, but always been able either repair the motor, or go in limp home mode at displacement speed. (One external oil pump failure on an Evinrude Fitch type of engine 2006, and an electric shift problem in 1975 --able to get in forward). Many thousands of hours on outboards during the last 70+ years of running outboard motors (and in the late 40's and 50's motors were less reliable. I use the dinghy motor as a kicker. Granted it is not going to move me fast, or maybe not into heavy seas or winds. But it will give me steerage way.

Go with what you are most comfortable with

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most newer outboards also have limp mode. Some non catastrophic failures will still allow the motor to run at limited speeds. For instance, on my Honda BF90 the limp mode will still allow the engine to run at up to 2000 RPM. This may be enough to get you to a safe(r) place. Won't help for external failures like a bad fuel supply though which could also take out both your twins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: