View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: mph, fuel and distance Reply with quote

linda and i enjoyed the past three days on the beautiful, but muddy, ohio river. normal river pool, for our location is 26', during our weekend trip, river pool was at 29'. so, downbound travel was aided by a 4 or 5 mph current. our round trip distance was 132 miles. we ran average 24mph, 4800 to 5000rpm. fuel consumption was 28 gallons, or 4.7 miles per gallon. engines are twin honda's 40hp four stroke, ran well, were trimmed up approx. 25% and have 305 hours each. the reason for this post was to share the above information and if anyone has better experience or ideas for better fuel/trim and mph, i'm always interested in learning.
unrelated story, during our visit to smugglers cove marina, we overheard four seniors talking about their problems, went like this, one senior said, i'm so weak i can't hardly hold my cup of coffee, another senior said, you think that's bad, my arthritis is so bad i can't turn my head, another senior said, you think that's bad, my blood pressure medicine makes my vision all fussy, and the last senior said, you think that's bad, i can't hardly hear a thing. no one said anything for several minutes, then one of the guys said, i guess it's not all that bad, at least we can still drive!
pat
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,
That sounds like very good fuel milage for a down hill run then back up the river, better than my single 90 Four Stroke.
I am going to stay away from the town those men live at or go around it
Jim

Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Fuel Milage Reply with quote

Pat,
Fuel Milage can be a good Topic, we get great fuel milage in the RV we can go about 1200 miles per tank.
On Pandy Girl we can go about 500 miles on a fill-up

If we use the 5 HP Honda trolling motor.
Jim

PS I talked to Fred today one of the guys at the Marina, he got his License renewed for 6 more years.
snal

City/Region: Asheville
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, on our first TN River trip we averaged 25mph for 253 miles at 5.6mpg, we slowed down to an average speed of 18mph on the second trip and the mpg went to 6.3 in over 600 miles with our Honda 45's.

I'd be willing to bet that those seniors were from here in WNC, all drove Ford Crown Vics with lightly scratched bumpers, AAA stickers on the rear glass, and likely didn't know they were in Ohio.

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello larry,
the difference in mpg might be my return trip heading up river in slightly fast current. probably reduced over all performance, but either way, we had a great extended weekend and fuel didn't break the bank!
misty seas is currently located in four seasons marina, cincinnati, ohio, had many boaters stop by to have a look, that is until last week. a 32' nordick tug pulled in and has stolen my attention. what a beautiful yacht. obviously, i'm jealous.
hope you and pandy girl have a greatweekend.
pat
snal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, steal the attention back by asking the captain about the tug's fuel consumption Laughing

We had very little current to deal with on the TN River, which most certainly helped our mileage.
We heard that the Cumberland River has the perfect water for top mpg...so we're leaving at 5am tomorrow to give the river 8 days to prove it Very Happy This will be a serious working trip, researching mpg, and only stopping to tour Nashville, fish, play with the dogs on the shore, fish, hike, fish, swim, fish, explore, and maybe fish a little.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snal wrote:
Pat, steal the attention back by asking the captain about the tug's fuel consumption Laughing

We had very little current to deal with on the TN River, which most certainly helped our mileage.
We heard that the Cumberland River has the perfect water for top mpg...so we're leaving at 5am tomorrow to give the river 8 days to prove it Very Happy This will be a serious working trip, researching mpg, and only stopping to tour Nashville, fish, play with the dogs on the shore, fish, hike, fish, swim, fish, explore, and maybe fish a little.

Hey Larry, don't forget to fish a little too.... Laughing Have fun, be safe!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
patrick and linda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larry,
i have many heros in my life, i'm now adding you to my list.
have a fantastic time, this message is being sent from the kitchen table of the campbell palatial lake home estate, on beautiful lake cumberland. damn, it's great not to be at work! biggest chore today will be spraying some weeds in the mulch and then working out, will do legs and shoulder routine, not my favorite but when you're almost 60, what is?
pat

ps. charlie, not to be forgotten, you were added to list several years ago, just about the same time as the byrdman!
snal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrick and linda wrote:
larry,
i have many heros in my life, i'm now adding you to my list.
have a fantastic time, this message is being sent from the kitchen table of the campbell palatial lake home estate, on beautiful lake cumberland. damn, it's great not to be at work! biggest chore today will be spraying some weeds in the mulch and then working out, will do legs and shoulder routine, not my favorite but when you're almost 60, what is?
pat

ps. charlie, not to be forgotten, you were added to list several years ago, just about the same time as the byrdman!

I'm honored!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: