The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker Motor, Port or Starboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Kicker Motor, Port or Starboard? Reply with quote

From: True Story (Original Message) Sent: 2/24/2003 1:46 PM
Finally getting around to purchasing a kicker motor and am looking for advice as to which side of our 22' cruiser to mount it. My general feeling is that mounting the kicker motor on the starboard side makes the most sense from a balance standpoint. It's usually just the captain and first mate (I'll let you figure who wears the captains hat) but everyonce in a while, we will bring a guest. We don't do a lot of cruising, so carrying water is an option. Thanks to great fuel economy (75 Honda), it is not neccessary to keep both fuel tanks full on a regular basis. I would prefer not having to install trim tabs if I can help it. I am thinking of purchasing either a 8hp Honda or Yamaha. I welcome your input on not only which side of the boat to mount the motor on, but my short list of potential motors. Thanks.

True story:

I use a Honda 8 long shaft. It weighs about 70 lbs and has charging capability. It will push the boat along at 5-6 knots, however have never used it except for testing.

The weight balance will depend on your particular situation. Is she on her lines during your normal use? The kicker can be used to balance out if you are continually off a little. In my case, I have the kicker mounted to starboard. This is just fine when the 1st mate is aboard, but when I am singlehanding, it would be better if it were mounted to port. You can fine tune with fuel load from one side to the other, and the amount of water in the tank. I further fine tune by moving the ice chest from one side to the other.

I will probably move mine to the port side and the swim step to the starboard.

Good luck with it, Roy

True Story- My 15 hp Johnson 2-stroke is mounted on the starboard side, but would be better mounted on the port side from a weight balance point of view, especially since one battery is in the starboard lazarette, and the other on centerline, and I usually fish alone, etc.

However, if the motor were mounted on the port side in the engine well, the steering handle which is sometimes used for steering when the kicker is not connected with a steering link to the main engine and which is always used for throttle control and stopping the engine, would be on the wrong side of the engine well. The start cord is also offset to the right side of the engine which would also be more difficult. A separate mounting bracket, electric starting, and remote controls could partially offset these difficulties, however.

Although I didn't mount the kicker on the starboard side myself, I can see why the original owner did so.

Hoipe this helps you make your decision. Joe.

My kicker is mounted like Joe's - starboard side, due to the tiller handle.

However, there are options for getting around this - wish I had thought of them before the kicker was mounted, as I'd prefer to have it on the port side.

The easiest solution - pick up a remote kicker. I know Yamaha makes the T8 in a remote, not sure about Honda.

If the kicker you decide on is not available in a remote version, pick up a TrollMaster for throttle control, and wire the starter/kill switch at the helm. On the Yamaha, the gear selector is on the tiller handle, but you can get a side-mount gear shift lever for under $20 that ties into the same linkage. With everything moved off the tiller handle, simply remove it. This is the route I took.

For steering, you'll have to tie it to your main - Cabelas sells a simple and effective stainless rod that works great.

Bill

Thank you for your responses. Outfitting our boat in general, has resulted in many hours of pre-installation contemplation and all of your comments are very helpfull. The captain gets extremely nervous anytime I fire up the portable drill! I can appreciate the difficulties associated with a starboard mount if there is only one person on the boat. Even trim tabs can't cure the list if trolling for salmon which I do a lot of. The captain also gets extremely nervous when I suggest going out on the boat alone. So likely, I won't be doing much of that. My swim step is mounted on the starboard side currently, making the port installation look attractive.

Da Naq, If you wouldn't mind responding again, you noted that Yamaha has a remote T-8. Is this a factory remote? I didn't notice this option on Yamaha's web site. Additionally, you indicated that you would have preferred a port installation but didn't indicate why. Perhaps you could elaborate.

Thanks again, Tim

Tim -

Now that you've got it covered, I'll throw in my 2˘ worth. My kicker (Honda 8) is on the port side. The tiller handle is useless for steering, that's for sure, but since I only use it occasionally for trolling I made a bracket with a removable center handle for steering. I did have a remote shifter and throttle at the helm, and a steering tie rod. But, I took the remote out because I prefer to be in the back when using the kicker. I set the throttle with the folded up tiller handle, and steer with the add-on. Most of my fishing is in the Columbia river, and because of the current the kicker gets very little use. I have found that on real calm days at slack water, I can steer the boat when trolling with the kicker by using the main as a rudder. It's kinda cool.

Even with the kicker and a full water tank on the port side, I find myself fudging the inside edge of the helm seat when alone to minimize the list. And you're right about the tabs - they only help at speed.

Fun, isn't it?

Mike

Hey Tim,

I was told about the factory remote option on the T8 by my local C-Dory dealer - Guenter's in Northern CA. I also talked to another Yamaha dealer in the area, who confirmed it as well. Not sure why it's not on the web site.

I don't have the factory remote model - I have the tiller handled model, with the tiller handle removed, modified to be a remote.

I was told there is no price difference between the tiller handled and remote T8. Of course, if you went the typical route with a remote T8, you would need the control box and cables - another $350 or so, last I checked.

The only thing you lose by not using a Yamaha control box for your remote setup, is the ability to shift the kicker in and out of gear at the helm. Since using the TrollMaster is cheaper, and you end up with a better throttle control, I can't see shelling out the bucks for a control box and cables. I'll walk back to the cockpit to shift, no big deal. In an emergency, I've still got the kill switch at the helm.

Also - if you go the TrollMaster route, you might want to get the tiller handled T8 - if you ever change your mind down the road, you'll have the handle, and it might sell better when that day comes.

As to my desire to mount the kicker to port - strictly for weight reasons, as I go out alone often, and don't care for the list while trolling. Like you, I also have a swim step, but mine is mounted to port - this really is the deciding factor, as you can't mount a kicker on the factory swim step side. There's just no room...

Bill

Hi, Tim

I'll second what Bill says about the TrollMaster. I've got a starboard mounted 6 HP Merc kicker, and put the TrollMaster on it last year. Really works great. Although I can't shift gears from the helm, most trolling is in fairly open waters, so it's not a problem. The TrollMaster doesn't have a kill switch, so I just rewired mine to a switch at the helm. Holler if you want to see some pics.

I converted my port lazarette to a livewell, so when I'm single-handing, I fill it about half for ballast to offset the kicker.

Ken

Hi Clamdigger,

Some pics would be great. I've decided to go wtih a Honda 9.9hp, electic, and the Troll-Master. Have also been considering putting a livewell in the port lazerette.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Good way to go. Used that combo on the 22 C-Salt -- one suggestion, always run it dry when you shut down and don't let it sit on the transom (as I did) without running it once in a while. The latest models have been weaned a lot to meet the new EPA specs and must be run more often than the older guys. BTDT!!

Dusty

Hi Dusty,

Thanks for the tip. By "always" run it dry, I assume you mean literally, at the end of each day. ie: don't let it sit overnight, or for several days?

We are starting to get enough breaks in the weather that I can start getting some boat projects underway, but it won't be floating for a while.

Glad to see that you and Les are going down to the "Brat
Bash" at Olytown. I would be even more envious if I couldn't vicariously participate by means of the compooper.

Glad the TomCat is working out so well. When I get down next time I'll take you up on the tour offer. Might even buy lunch.

Mark

Mark -

It just so happens that I have one more of those OB brackets laid out on a piece of 10 ga SS in my toolbox at work. After we're sure the one on Lyn Marie is within the perfect range, I can trim it, drill it, debur it, bend it and send it if you want. (Actually, I will have one of the sheet metal guys do the bending - it's too tricky for me to get the bends to come out right. Gotta know where to set the lines in the brake. Professional tinbender is the only way to go.) You will be responsible for the polishing and the mounting board. I ain't giving the board Tim made me away!

Let me know if you want the thing. It's the last one for a while. The boss didn't mind the first one, but he rolled his eyes when he saw the second. A third one might send him over the edge.

Mike

Dang it Mark,

Ask me an easy one! Better get Les on this one. Can't imagine that overnight wouldn't be okay, but I sure wouldn't let it just soak for a week or two. Not sure there is a good answer, but I just pull the connection and let it run dry when I come in... Hope it Works!!

Dusty

Mike,

Yes Sir, I do, I do. I'll give it a great home on the back of my CD. The only other times I can recall saying "I do" is when I got married and joined the Navy. Hmmm, you are in select company.

I will give it a good home on the back of my CD and I can certainly handle any polishing and the mounting board.

Neat box you made for the counter. I'm going to locate mine control and counter in similar fashion.

Thanks Mike

Mark

Hey Dusty,

Keep it simple, right. I'll just run that puppy dry when I come in. Works for you, works for me.

We hit 31 above today. Wow, it was great. I was out thrashing around in the boat and loving it.

Mark

Hi, Mark

I didn't forget you regarding the pictures of the TrollMaster and the live-well conversion. The boat was covered with SNOW yesterday, so I didn't want to mess with the cover.

Got brite sun today, so I'll get out and get some pics.

Ken

Hi, Mark

Here are the pics. TrollMaster (2 pics.) starts HERE.

Livewell conversion (7 pics) starts HERE. Intake pump is wired to the Accessory switch at the helm.

The livewell setup is a good bass/trout/kokanee setup. Several of the Pacific folks have said that such a setup is not very good for their purposes, especially if they are using live anchovies. I can't speak to that, but my setup works very well for inland lakes. The few times I fish with live bait, it's generally shad or shiners, and they are pretty hardy critters.

Ken

Note on the TrollMaster install - there's a ground wire that hooks up to the engine block. On mine, this actually caused problems - the servo was picking up interference, and jumped all over the place. On a whim, I removed the groud wire - problem solved.

I checked with the manufacturer - sure enough, known problem, and they suggested I do as I did.

Bill

Clamdigger,

Thanks for the pics on the Troll-Master and livewell. Nice job on the installation and the pics.

DaNag,

Thanks for the tip on the ground wire for the Troll Master. I'll make a mental note on that one.

Mark

Thanks for your comments, Mark

And Bill, thanks for your heads up on the ground wire. When I first installed mine, the servo seemed to be a little "shaky", but never seemed to be a problem when running. But I'll sure keep that in mind next time out when I'm trolling.

Ken

I wanted to thank all of you again for the advice regarding which side of the boat to mount my kicker. Moved my swim step and went with the starboard motor mount (wont be single-handing much), the Cabelas motor tie and the Trollmaster remote. Just need the winds to die down and I'll be able to try it out. Will feel much better having the backup source of propulsion and wearing out my kicker motor trolling around the Sound instead of the main. Tim

Mark -

Did your package ever make it all the way up to Alaska? Have you been able to stay out of the house long anough to try it for fit?

Mike

Mike,

Nope, the package hasn't made it yet but it has to be breathing hard. I'm keeping a close watch on the post office. Averaging a dozen trips a day or so. Our mail is a little slower up here but it seldom fails so I'm sure it will make it soon.

My 9.9 Honda came in and I picked it up from the shop day before yesterday. Temp is supposed to reach 40 degrees during the day over this weekend and I can see the light at the end of the weather tunnel.

I mean't to ask, what did you use for a locking device on your secure rod & reel storage unit on the bulkhead?

Thanks Mike.

Mark
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided that I needed to have that kicker on the port side. Several factors:
1) Needed that weight balance for single handing.
2) I'm right handed and like to have the tiller in the left & rod in the right.
3) The lovely Terrie is left handed so reverse #2
4) Just to be different

So from all the advice youz guyz gave, I took TyBoo Mike's idea about mounting a separate steering tiller mid-motor, then just set the speed and flip up the factory tiller so it doesn't bang into anything.

I posted pictures of the new steering tiller in the Denebola Star album, (last pic on page 2 & only two pics on page 3). I'll get real in-the-boat action shots soon, but wanted to get this out to all of you. This works very well. I have 100% steering range to port and 90% to starboard. the angle was measured to clear the port side of the splash well, and also allows me to raise the kicker to the full up and lock position. I can also easily remove the steering tiller for storage, maintenance, bonking fish and pirates on the noggin Wink. Thanks for all your input into this great choice.

Bartender! a round of port for me mates.

Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: