The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge Pump
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nunya

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Nunya
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Bilge Pump Reply with quote

Seems I read somewhere on the forum about wether the area where the bilge pump is mounted in a 25 CD, was solid fiberglass or cored. My pump froze up on my last outing and while changing it out, I discovered that the area is cored. The four SS screws holding the base down were not sealed and there was a dab of sealant underneath the base?? I drilled out holes and potted with epoxy. This area seems to always have standing water, even after re-enforcing the deck hatches. I suggest everyone check this area out and make sure the screws are at least sealed.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at my bilge pump today and wondering how well it was sealed up when it was screwed to the bottom of the boat hull. Will investigate that tomorrow.

Two battery boxes, in the same compartment, were screwed down that way also but I removed them to a higher compartment. Those holes were sealed with a dab of 5200 under the boxes. I put 5200 amply into the holes with a toothpick and around the holes and then put the screws back in. That is not up to Dr. Bob's standards but is good for now.

Has anyone just glued the bilge pump down with 5200 or 4200 with any success.???

Good news today.........I drilled into the outside of the transom near the bottom to mount a piece of starboard for a transducer mount. I was concerned on what I would find in the wood. Well it was nice clean,dry wood. No water or sign of it. Those 3 small holes were sealed extremely well. Very Happy

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Bilge Reply with quote

I think we might have the same issue with Tomcat's. It's already on my list for a winter project.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bilge Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
I think we might have the same issue with Tomcat's. It's already on my list for a winter project.

In the meantime, you can let your arms grow about 18" and also sprout another hand on each one so you can reach them and handle tools way down there! Rolling Eyes

Then you can come do mine! Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Noreaster

City/Region: Wallace
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Nor'easter
Photos: Nor'easter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my bilge pump this spring with Devcon 5 minute epoxy smeared on the bottom and it is holding just fine. I really only installed it that way because the factory had installed the origional pump the same way. I just roughed up the area and the base of the pump with some 60 grit sand -paper , cleaned up the bottom of the pump and the bilge area with some isopropyl and it has been in ther solid since early April.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I unscrewed the bilge pump from the hull bottom. As I suspected it had been installed by a total "nimrod" that did not have a clue.
Little or no sealant under the base and an unused screw hole under it also.
I sealed it all up and reset the pump using the same holes.
The wiring to it was also relocated so as to keep them above the bilge water.
How can one prevent things like this from happening? Getting water into the hull bottom is not a pretty thing to deal with.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:

How can one prevent things like this from happening? Getting water into the hull bottom is not a pretty thing to deal with.

Jack, one can prevent it by installing things that penetrate the FG into the core properly as described many times on this thread. Hopefully the new owners of C-Dory are watching closely, IMHO this is one of the best production changes they could make Idea as they manufacture their boats. I wonder how Sea Sports fasten their things into the hull... Anyone know? Question

Charlie
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Seal Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Jack in Alaska wrote:

Jack, one can prevent it by installing things that penetrate the FG into the core properly as described many times on this thread. Hopefully the new owners of C-Dory are watching closely, IMHO this is one of the best production changes they could make Idea as they manufacture their boats. I wonder how Sea Sports fasten their things into the hull... Anyone know? Question

Charlie

I agree Charlie.

As we have learned, manufacturers (nor electronics installers) do this properly. It would definitely take more time and cost more, but well worth it.
Nunya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder are there any other screw penetrations under the rear deck. My fresh water pump was also screwed down into hull with no sealant on the screws. I moved pump up along side battery and filled screw holes in hull with epoxy.
Has anyone removed their rear deck? How is the fuel tank held down?
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Sealing Reply with quote

Nunya wrote:
Makes me wonder are there any other screw penetrations under the rear deck. My fresh water pump was also screwed down into hull with no sealant on the screws. I moved pump up along side battery and filled screw holes in hull with epoxy.
Has anyone removed their rear deck? How is the fuel tank held down?

This topic can drive you nuts...stanchions, cleats, etc., etc. I think the greatest danger is of course where there may be standing water.
designbug

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Bella II
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm concerned about this issue. My 2007 CD25 is in the water here in Annapolis all year and there is alway some water in the bilge area. Last summer I moved the water pump up onto the battery shelf - which has worked very well, but I left the mounting screws on the bilge floor. I had a lot of trouble getting to the mounting screws but I was able to tighten them down with the rubber footings in place. I am hoping the rubber footings would help prevent water from getting into the core.

My question is - do I have a potentially serious problem? I haven't even checked out under the bilge pump! I'm not that handy and feel very uncomfortable drilling out holes in the botton of the boat to fill with epoxy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dick
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought -- but may well be wrong -- that the bottom of the hull is solid fiberglass but the vertical areas such as the transom are where they start using the core stuff. I do know they do not use core throughout the boats. I also know that the question of where the core is, precisely, can sometimes only be answered with a cross-section of the hull -- there are a couple of photos in the albums showing a hull cross-section from the factory. I have also heard that the location of core in a specific model varies from year to year, according to the design at that time.

Would appreciate confirmation of the above.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Nunya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designbug,
It's not a big deal to epoxy a screw hole closed. Just drill into it with a 1/4" bit about a 1/4 ~ 3/8 of an inch. Fill with epoxy and your done. All screw holes need to be filled. If you're going to put a screw back in, it will need to be potted a little deeper than the screw is long and undercut. This is easy to do, once you do one. There are instructions on the forum on how to do it. Do a search for "potting" should get you there. Boats that are stored in cold weather (freezing) definately do not want water in between the inner and outer hulls.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Epoxy Reply with quote

designbug wrote:
Hi All,

I'm concerned about this issue. My 2007 CD25 is in the water here in Annapolis all year and there is alway some water in the bilge area. Last summer I moved the water pump up onto the battery shelf - which has worked very well, but I left the mounting screws on the bilge floor. I had a lot of trouble getting to the mounting screws but I was able to tighten them down with the rubber footings in place. I am hoping the rubber footings would help prevent water from getting into the core.

My question is - do I have a potentially serious problem? I haven't even checked out under the bilge pump! I'm not that handy and feel very uncomfortable drilling out holes in the botton of the boat to fill with epoxy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dick

Dr. Bob was kind enough to put together a great reference on how to do this:

http://www.commercialcaptains.com/Articles/Proper_Sealing.pdf
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a thin aluminum bracket that i mounted the bilge pump plate to, then the bracket runs up the transom about a foot and screws in there, so the penetrations are not where water will ever be sitting, also with my transom box, it make for much easier access to the pump, since it sits about 4 inches below the bottom of the box....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: