The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Decal Removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uvicgrad85

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Decal Removal Reply with quote

I'm interested in any advice as to how to remove decals from the boat. Registration numbers have to be changed and potentially, the name.

Thoughts?
Frogpawg

City/Region: Wallis Run; Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Soapy Joe
Photos: Soapy Joe
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See pics in my profile of old C-dory sticker. I removed this VERY CAREFULLY with a razor blade and then put some acetone on a rag and cleaned the area of any residue and/or glue. Worked great, just take your time with the razor blade.
DoryLvr

City/Region: Cape Charles
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Litl' Tug
Photos: Litl' Tug
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a exacto knife razor blade to get underneath them and they should come right off. Then, use a washcloth (do not use a paper towel or other paper product, they leave lint and parts) with rubbing alcohol to remove the left over glue that will remain. Feel the surface with your hand as they will be little "glue balls" left that you can pick off. You can also use a product call Goo B Gone that you can buy and any hardware store or drug store, but you will have to follow up with rubbing alcohol since it leaves an oil film behind and the replacement numbers won't stick. However, Go B Gone really works fast and without any elbow grease. This process should remove it all so you won't end up with unsightly shadow number as dirt gathers on the old glue.

Being former military and moving around a lot and having to re-register my boats (since Soldier and Sailor's Relief Act doesn't apply to vessels, only cars), I got pretty good at this procedure.

"The art of seamanship is never allowing yourself to get in a situation where you have to know anything about the subject."
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uvicgrad85, Here's a question on your new boat.

What ferry did you take to go from the mainland to Vancouver Isle? We'll be there in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to find the best and cheapest way from the mainland to the island. How long was your rig and what did it cost, if you don't mind.

Boris
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been reluctant to use a sharp blade anywhere near my gel coat. Bitter experience. For me, simply heating the decal with a hair dryer or a heat gun set on low will raise the temperature of the decal enough to peel right off. Did it with my yearly stickers and again when I replaced the C-Dory decals with the new 3-D decals. Following up with the same cleaning procedures in the previous messages will get you a clean dry gel coat, ready for new stickers, though I prefer MEK, found at your local Home Despot.

I also use that technique to remove the year tags on my vehicle license plates.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: