View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: boarding ladder saved a life Reply with quote

Have been meaning to relate this story to the C-Brats for several years. It relates to the probable saving of a man's life. It revolves around a boarding ladder and a man overboard.

Allow me to digress. When we purchased our first 22' cruiser in 1996, I quickly found out that climbing into the well after a swim was difficiult at best, swim step or not. Too slippery and awkward. So we then decided to install a boarding ladder. It seemed at that time our options were limited. We ended up with a diver's ladder, which took some doing to install. But it worked well with brackets port & starboard installed on the side near the cabin so we could grab handles on the corner. It did require leaning over the gunwale to slip the ladder in the bracket.

Upon purchasing our second 22' Cruiser, we were visiting the factory in Seattle several winters ago attending the boat show. I inquired about a ladder and was shown the West Marine SS Boarding 4 step folding ladder which fit into small brackets on top of the gunwales. This was a better arrangement, inasmuch as the ladder hooks could just hang over the gunwales inside the cockpit. Out of the way and quickly available. So we purchased it. Little did we realize this decision probably saved a friend's life. The story.

A couple from Oregon came to White Sulphur Springs for a visit the following summer. The fellow was an experienced boater/canoist. We took them for a run on Hauser Lake (on the Missouri River) and when returning to the dock, the unanticipated happened!

A wind had come up making docking difficult. We could dock on only one side, the up wind side. I put the engine in neutral and decided to let the Far West II drift towards the dock. About30 feet from the dock with the wind pushing us towards it, Edna cried out, "Dave has fallen overboard." I left the helm and rushed to the port side of the cockpit. Here was Dave floundering in the water -no life jacket on struggling to stay afloat. I grabbed the boarding ladder, ignoring the brackets and pushed the step down and dropped it over the gunwales. Fortunately, the wind pushed the boat against Dave and he had the presence to get a hold of the ladder.

The new problem was that he was about to be crunched against the dock.Where I got the strength,I don't know, but I grab his belt on the back and monstered him into the cockpit like a wet sack. (he weighed 225) We kissed the dock without damage and secured the boat.

Dave sat on the cockpit floor soaked, bewildered and bemused. We were all in a state of disbelief. Dave's wife, a PA, had told us that he was experiencing some fainting spells and that he no longer drove and due for some neurological tests. Edna witnessed him go over the side. He was anticipating reaching for the dock, leaned over, and fell head first into the water.

The following day, our friends returned to Oregon where he underwent a series of tests. diagnosis - he had a large tumor on the right hemisphere of his brain near his ear. It was surgically removed (glio blastoma futurama). He did not remember falling overboard - the shock of the water brought him to consciousness.

This episode has convinced us of several things. (1) We now insist that passengers wear a life jacket, if no more than a belt pack and (2) having a boarding ladder readily available is an essential for boating safety. Without the ladder Dave would have likely drowned, in my opinion. The fact that he could grab onto something allowed both of us to work together to get him back into the cockpit before the boat hit the dock.

We were darn lucky. John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and save. Definately any boat needs to have a way to get a person aboard. I like to take it beyond the boarding ladder (which is essential)--and for us the Garheur davit fits that bill.

I would wonder about the belt type of life jacket. We have these for the dinghy to be "legal" in hot weather, but usually wear vest types of jackets, or inflatable horseshoe PDF--since the belt requires consciousness to put the collar over the neck to get the head clear of the water.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Yellowstone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - I agree with your comments on belt life jackets. We have found that friends can vary significantly in water sophistication. Most would rather not wear anything. Many times I'm that way, too. But we can usually coax them to at least put the belt pack around their waist. If we walk the side we wear auto inflatable vest life jackets. The little C-Dory has ample free board under most circumstances, but the unusual can happen as we discovered.

Several weeks ago I had a fellow with me while we fished Canyon Ferry Lake. The ice had recently left the lake, and when it became choppy, I suggested he don a vest. He's as big, beer drinking logger who fears nothing. He snorted that he could easily swim to shore (about a mile away if he had to) without a jacket. Well, I rather doubt that - bravado does interfere with good judgment. I was almost tempted to make a bet that he couldn't do it, but I didn't of course.

The worst disregard for water safety I ever witnessed (from people who should have known better) was in Desolation Sound 12 years ago. Two elderly couples from a forty foot trawler came over for a visit in their Livingston dingy. I swear that they only had two inches of freeboard. None were wearing life jackets. They looked around 80. We offered to lend them some jackets, but they would have none of that. Sometimes, too much experience is a poor teacher. John
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: the Coast Guard requirement Reply with quote

I like the inflatable PFD's and we find them very comfortable. We always wear our inflatable PFD's, and now have them for 2 guests as well. Not much explanation is necessary, just that to count as PFD's the regulations are that they be worn. It is the Coast Guard requirement, and we are obliged to comply.

Good story, and good outcome. Thanks for the reminder.

Harvey
SleepyC

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing to do when you have guests on board is to carry ONLY self inflating pfds. Then you are not legal unless everyone has them on and you can't leave the dock until that happens. That way, it's not you who is forcing them to wear the pfd, it's the law. For me at least, it's easier to have someone else (e.g. the law) requiring my guests to wear life vests than it is for me to be the one who is doing the requiring. I also find that even I am much more conscientious about remembering to put on my pfd when I'm legally required to do so. Just make sure that guests are instructed in how the pfds work and make sure they know not to put a jacket on over the top of the pfd.

Also, I agree about keeping the boarding ladder ready and available. Sometimes it might be a bit in the way but you don't want to have to dig it out from underneath of bunch of stuff when you really need it.

Last edited by rogerbum on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very timely post. I appreciate the story you posted, particularly because it had a good outcome. We cruise in Puget Sound exclusively. I added a boarding ladder to the cockpit equipment almost immediately after purchasing our boat not believing the swim step would be enough. In addition I added a garhauer davit on the gunnel next to the rear of the cabin on the port side to help with lifting if neccessary. Since it is just my wife and I on the boat I think this was an appropriate additional safety measure. I think this is a good time of the season for everyone to think about and review how they would handle the situation in your story before it happens to achieve the same ending. Happy/Safe boating.
(see picture of Jim M. page 3 of Jerrold Cove 08 CBGT for picture of davit)

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lesson! Glad he was close enough to grab the ladder. We keep one of the Mustang Rescue Sticks tied to one of the handrails in the cockpit. I think I could throw it 50-100 feet if I had to and it inflates to a horseshoe when it hits the water. I'm going to test it this summer when it's time to renew the CO2 cylinder, as I will with our 4 automatic inflatable life jackets!

We should not forget about the engine(s) either. Most have a cavitation plate above the prop that can make a handy step (be sure to shut the engine down Rolling Eyes ). The tilt/trim switch on the side of the engine is usually reachable from the water too and can assist in raising one out of the water, although somewhat awkwardly!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Boarding Ladders Reply with quote

Having been a diver for a number of years I'm a believer in a proper boarding ladder. Smile Most do not extend far enough into the water, or they don't have a hand hold at the top. Crook A "Pontoon Boat Ladder" works great! Thumbs Up See pictures of "Pocket Yacht" for installation on a C-Dory 16' CoolSmile Jack
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GREAT DAY ON THE WATER AND TOTAL DISASTER IS ONLY SECONDS.
I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT I WOULD DO WITH A MAN OVERBOARD. first and foremost, take control of the vessel and situation immediately. have any remaining guest stay out of my way, assuming he was conscious, i'd throw any type of floatation, then a line if possible, then attached the ladder and assist my passenger aboard.
now, if it's one of my children, i'd throw the floatation and since i can be stupid at times, i might go in after them, realizing my wife is an able seaman and could take care of the rest. i know that's now two people in the drink, i'm just telling ya, if it's my kid, all bets are off.
if the man overboard is unconscious, i'd throw the flotation and i'm going in after him. i've taken just about every class and have taught some, have the 100 ton, near coastal, if it's my kid, all bets are off.
pat
ps: now, waiting to be chastised
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrick and linda wrote:
now, waiting to be chastised

Not by this sailor. I'll be right there with you! Thumbs Up

Charlie
geebee2

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Lucky 7's
Photos: Lucky 7's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 19 it came with the swim grid and a two step Garrlick ladder. So while at Quesnel Lake last year I decided to take a morning swim (bath) and try it out. I'm glad I was tied to the float and not in the middle of the lake. It seems that age and a few extra pounds have impared my mobilty. There is no way I could get back aboard using that ladder. I could get a foot up but that would push me back away from the boat and I couldn't find anything to grabhold of. I've since installed a hand rail from the transom to the swim grid and may have to buy a three step ladder. When things warm up I'll try this again to see if it's any better. Luckily the 1st trial was early morning thus there wasn't an audience.
ken westrope

City/Region: ephrata
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: c-knight
Photos: C-Knight
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: boating safety Reply with quote

I too found that the factory swim step/ ladder is lacking. on our 25 we replaced the two step garlick with a windline three step and added hand rails outboard.
Yellowstone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks - all valid comments. Jack, your picture of the ladder aboard Pocket Yacht is, in my judgment, where the ladder ought to be. Next to the grab rail on the cabin.

Our dilemma was that Dave was flailing away, not treading water (even though he could swim-but being in a conscious but panic state) and he had surfaced next to the boat. I was concerned with two things: getting a hold of him and the dock which was coming closer each second. I just dropped the ladder over the gunwale without pushing out the stand-offs but pushing down the step. In that configuation the ladder with weight on it is reasonably secure. It really won't swing under the boat. He was able to grab part of the ladder and get a foot on the ladder rung. and with my long arms I was able to get a hold of his back belt. From that point it was heave ho. I'm sure I scraped his chest, stomach, and thighs as he came up and over the gunwale.

In non emergency situations, of course the ladder would go into the brackets and the standoffs would be employed. My previous experience with the diver's ladder suggestst that it could not be employed as quickly as the ladder on Jack's boat, although it is an excellent system, particularly if one is wearing fins.

Had Dave stayed unconscious after hitting the water, things would have been much worse. Hindsight being what it is, we were all very lucky.
John
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also added a four step Garelick ladder for MOB situations. So far it has only been used for dingy access.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not chastising, but the proper response is to stay with the boat and maneuver it to be close to the POB. You don't want to turn a single person in the water into a tragedy. Remember that many of us boat in very cold water, and there can be cardiac consiquences of "older" folks jumping into cold water, at the least.

We are real believers in the life sling--and getting this to the POB--then getting the POB back in the boat, even if they are dead weight.

Since we have done lots of passage making and this is constantly on our minds, we have practiced POB with live people in each boat we have owned. It is a lot different with a person in the water and a cushion or fender. We wear a wet suit and the strongest person goes in the water under controlled circumstances. This forces the admiral to handle the boat (which she is very compitent at) and then bring my larger hulk aboard.

I don't have photos, but I have the SS fitting to mount the Garhauer davit on the cabin side in a fishing rod holder (thus keeping the deck clear, and putting the davit top high enough to put a dinghy or kayak on the cabin top. Certainly mounting it on the deck or cockpit combing will work very well for bringing a person aboard.

There have been instances where people have stood on the cavitation plate (even better with a Permatrim) and used the tilt to bring the POB onto the splash well area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: