City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wannabe,

Thanks much for all the source material you have provided on this thread.

Harper

C-Wannabe

State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Harper!

I'm rustling around through the Web looking for C-Dory material and would like to save other wannabes a bit of time. As great as the C-Brats site is there is no catch-all "C-Dory 101" for wannabes. I'd like to attempt that here.

If someone with more know-how than myself can manage it, I'd really like to see Jim B's (Wild Blue) hilarious list of 21 stages of C-Dory ownership/addiction added here for wannabes. That way they can see what they're getting themselves into in the early stages.

That VERY accurate checklist currently sits on page 2 of the Buying a C-Dory thread (search terms: Buying AND C-Dory).

I'm still stuck at stage 5. One other thing to consider in that perilous stage (it's a steep, steep slope downhill after that): Jim forgot to add the cost of a new tow vehicle in there, too. Ouch! Shocked

BTW Nice looking boat that Placid C.
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More course content for wannabes registered in C-Dory 101:

50K Cabin Boats: Which Suits You Best?
www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=8&article_id=1207&page_number=1
Guess which boat came out on top for cruising and fuel efficiency? Yup, the C-Dory 22.

http://itsuro.com Inside passage cruisers who started out with Tonie O, a CD 22, then switched allegiances to Itsuro, an 8-meter Allweather Voyager that makes a C-Dory look like a gulping gas guzzler. Nice boat! Unfortunately, a number of the C-Dory links are broken due to AOL screwups.

www.dobro-journey-on.com/index.html One for the C-Dory 25 folks.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Allweather... it's a 5-7 knot boat that draws considerably more than a C-Dory 22. Slow a CD-22 down to 5 knots and you'll see quite good mpg. Decide to run them both up to 20 knots and... oh, wait, only the CD-22 will do that. Wink

Different boats for different missions. I'm sure not saying the Allweather isn't a fine boat... just hard to make the comparison for most folks who prefer the versatility of being able to run fast or slow.

Thanks for sharing your research here. When we were in the search, I spent a lot of time gathering info... I'm sure your efforts will help those in the market for a C-Dory. So, with all this time you've put into it, are you narrowing your decisions?

Best wishes,
Jim B.
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Regarding the Allweather...
Different boats for different missions.

Indeed. If you were caught off the Queen Charlottes in a 3-Gravol gale (that's how the B.C. Ferry folks rate 'em!), which boat would you prefer to be in? If you were skimming into a shallow oxbow that held a bucket of water, which boat would you prefer to be in? They each have their attributes. Since I like gunkholing over ocean cruising, my vote goes to the C-Dory. But the cruising range and sea-keeping qualities of the Allweather are impressive.

Overall, I still like the C-Dory 22/25.

But I'm stuck on your stage 5, Jim. Very Happy

We're still a couple of years away from water and retirement with an 87 year-old MIL hovering in the background on the other side of the country. The owners of the Nancy H (and a couple of other C-Brats) have had to put their cruising plans on hold because of family obligations. We're not buying anything until a) the MIL issue resolves itself, b) the economy offers a glimmer of hope in the near future or a timely layoff/early retirement package materializes and c) gas prices stabilize or at least show their true colors. If the price of gas skyrockets, there will be a lot of very large, nautical lawn ornaments spread across the continent (the fuel efficient C-Dorys will not be hit as hard, but they will be hit).

Being optimistic, I reckon the stars will align properly in about two years. Thumbs Up

More C-Dory 101 to come....
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of research and C-Dory 101...what's a university buy when it's looking for a sturdy research vessel? Gotta have a C-Dory 22!
www.vancouver.wsu.edu/news/releases/pl/wsu-vancouver-launches-research-on-vancouver-lake-algae/
Click on the lil pic for a much bigger view of the "Sea Coug". Ain't she a beauty?

Can that little craft handle a load of gear and three fellas doing the Great Loop? Yup. And apparently it can even be recycled into an educational watchdog afterwards:
http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/articles/2009/03/26/south/news/0325ssj-rvrkeeper0.txt C-Dory 22!

Looking to do some whalewatching? C-dory's your boat!
www.carliwhalewatch.com/soulmate.html

Bears your thing? C-Dory 22!
www.accentalaska.com/campaigns/0409katmai/ Hope that fella brought lots of fresh underwear with him! Tip for landlubbing RVers: Hyder, Alaska is a good stand-in for bearwatchers. Been there several times (before and after the fancy boardwalk) and it never fails to come through with action. That scenic, out-of-the-way region is one of my favorite spots on the continent -- and the Salmon Glacier is a must-do, too.

Remember the guy who fell in love at first sight and then fell into a deep financial Black Hole? Him again with the crabby details:
http://crabbinginthehood.com/category/crabbing-adventures/

Taxi!
www.acadia-schoodic.org/component/business/?task=view&CatId=5&Id=72 C-Dory 22!

Searching for shipwrecks on Lake Superior?
www.startribune.com/local/27052529.html?clr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiVI
Gotta have a C-Dory 22!

Looking to update a classic cruising guide? Time for a C-Dory 16!
www.metskers.com/244926/products/Cruising-Guide-to-Puget-Sound--the-San-Juan-Islands-by-Migael-Scherer.html

Renting boating equipment from the U.S. Army in Alaska? Gotta have a C-dory!
www.usarak.army.mil/framwr/ODR%2009REI.pdf

How far are you willing to go for a dream boat? As Dr. Bob Austin confesses elsewhere in the C-Brats forum, some folks will go half way across the continent for a new/used C-Dory. This smitten fellow only did a Michigan to Maine run for a coveted CD 22. But I'm sure he would have gone farther:
www.pointseast.com/template.shtml?id=EkFkAllFuVqhtrzxii&style=story

And speaking of travelling, some C-Brats will go almost anywhere for the right company:
www.carolinacurrents.com/detail.php?1028
Crikey, that Nick fella gets around! If he and Marcia aren't stirring up water on Lake Erie or prairie dog dust in the Black Hills, they might be in the Carolinas or Florida. It's a C-Dory thing! (And Nick, don't forget to check out Jewel Cave and Wind Cave -- leave the dog with one of you and take turns going down under. Every bit as good as Mt Rushmore!)

Since we're onto the subject of C-Brat gatherings, here's a last link (best to save this one for the don't-have-a-C-Dory-yet down and dirty blues):
http://wefings.com/albums/c-dory-gath/index.html Turn up the volume and enjoy!

And so ends today's C-Dory 101.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this course. Thanks.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Sounds to me like you need some more homework.
http://alaskaphotography.com/alcan2003/ What was I saying about the distance some people will go for a C-Dory?

Since we're onto the subject of travelling and C-Dorys, I can't resist:
http://wefings.com/albums/cruising/ Gotta turn up the volume again. A sampler of what a southbound C-Dory Looper might encounter down Florida way.

Wefings: Great taste in boats, even better taste in tunes!
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that fella with the dirty underwear -- the one who chased 800lb Kodiaks around for photos? Think this is his CD 22:

www.accentalaska.com/lightbox/index/module/media/pId/102/id/55507/category/gallery%7CD041/start/o Note how he stored his extra fuel containers (somewhat like the rooftop arrangement Casey used on Naknek)

Once that link is loaded, click on C-Dory in the Keywords field for a few more shots.

Since we're on the subject of wildlife, let me digress for a minute about one of the last links I gave (alaskaphotography.com/alcan2003)...If you're heading north to Alaska by road DO NOT rush through northern B.C. thinking that hordes of wildlife await in Alaska. You'll see more wildlife around B.C.'s Muncho Lake and Liard River Hotsprings -- rare Stone sheep (seen in one pic on the link), caribou, moose and Wood bison -- than you will in Alalska. The caribou are sometimes so close to the road around Muncho (they come down to lick the mineral salt used on the roads in winter) that you can hear the tendons around their hooves clicking. Rare treat! When the big herds move during migration a strange sound can be heard over all the continuous belching and grunting -- it's that clicking sound multiplied by a few thousand fold. One of the best places to see caribou in Alaska in summer is on a section the old Denali Highway -- yup, pothole heaven! -- but the animals are not usually this close to that road -- nor do they hang around licking minerals. Tip: Slow down through northern B.C. and enjoy it.

Now back to C-Dory 101....
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best in Show? Why a C-Dory 22, of course!
www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93607&Itemid=2938

A nautical version of the VW campervan? Where do I sign up?
www.tugstrawlerstn.com/pilothouse_boats.html

Patrol boat? A C-Dory 16!
www.baltimorewaterkeeper.org/about/the-baltimore-waterkeeper-c-dory-cruiser/ Polluters beware!

Rescue at Sea? Call for the C-Dory 22!
www.coastalscience.com (bottom of page)
Oh, don't forget about the science end of things either. Speaking of which...

Marine Archaeology? Dig up a CD 22!
www.searchinc.com/Facilities.aspx
Check out the "specialized" equipment list near the bottom of the page (below the pic of the guy with the funny yellow hat). Very Happy

C-Brat gathering? What really goes on at one of these affairs? CDs Ahoy!
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6460962655646238694
Lake Powell 2006. Everything is, um, Hunkydory...great boats, great scenery, great people. Does life get any better?
Question on the tight slots: What happens when someone is coming out while you're squeezing in?

Going on a long expedition? Count on a C-Dory!
www.long-expeditions.de/608931/590215.html
Now that's a rigged out boat! Follow Chris Breir as he travels the Great Slave Lake and Mackenzie River to the Delta in his CD 22, Orca. This year he's moved along by smaller things: a recumbent trike. New Motto? "Burn Fat Not Fuel" With gas prices the way they are, maybe he's onto something?
Check out the C-Brats Orca's Expedition thread for more on his travels/boat modifications.

Speaking of fat, is your C-Dory getting a little pudgy around the rear end?
www.portlandpudgy.com/mail.htm (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Click on photo for a closer look.

Not fat but definitely bigger -- and more expensive: The Tomcat!
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com
The perfect pocket cruiser? Yabbut...what about the CD 16, CD 22 and CD 25?? More Tomcat fodder: http://bassreport.com/forum/rec.boats.t557896.htm

Love at first sight (again and again and again and ... ). Gotta be a C-Dory!
www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-11153518_ITM
A contagious disease. Early confession by diehard C-brats Pat and Patty Anderson. You really don't need to read the full article -- the story's always the same. Reread Jim B's 21 stages of C-Dory ownership/addiction for the consequences of a quick glance at a C-Dory.

Document that love affair!
www.mytripjournal.com/TheFanc-Dory2009
Stay tuned...

Final lesson: Watch out for three-footitis!
www.tallahasseemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=199&Itemid=81
A C-Dory 22 may be all you need! Then again...

Desperate? Can't afford one?
http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/index.html
Build your own C-Dory lookalike!

Any questions wannabes? No? Class dismissed!
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I forgot some required reading for the wannabe homework assignment. There's a 1975ish book by Time-Life called "Cruising" (part of the old Time-Life Boating series) that brings home the concept that El and Bill (and others) espouse regarding mini-cruisers: "Buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on, not the biggest boat you can afford."

Chapter 4 of that book, Living Comfortably Afloat, has a great illustrated piece from page 122 to 133 that focuses on that K.I.S.S. concept: "Plenty of Room on a Pint-sized Sloop".

Here's the opening paragraph: "Take a family of five on a three-week cruise in a sloop that measures only 24 feet overall? For most skippers the prospect would be unthinkable. Yet that is the way Peter and Mary Gray and their three daughters spend their vacations. Every spring they load their sloop, Presto, onto a trailer and drive from their front yard in upstate New York to Florida -- there to embark for the Dry Tortugas or the Bahamas. And on a long summer weekend, they may trailer to the St Lawrence River to spend a few leisurely days poking about the Thousand Islands." The 16 color photos included in that article are what really sell the concept -- and that lil sloop didn't even have standing headroom!

If you'd like to read the rest, check your local library or order a used copy from bookfinder.com or abebooks.com for a buck or two plus shipping.

Is this a revelation? Hardly. Would you believe that the August 1922 issue of Power Boating magazine contained a folding plan for "A Small Sea-Going Cruiser with Full Headroom." Sound familiar?

Today, folks like Robert Meyer on his CD 22 Brazo II -- along with his wife, 16 yr old and 11 yr old -- are replaying that family vacation scenario and loving it. For details see his recent Trent-Severn thread.

C-Dory 22 = K.I.S.S. (for motorboat cruisers)

www.volumelists.com/detail.php?ser=The%20Time-Life%20Library%20of%20Boating
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else that a wannabe might be interested in: The Innards/Outtards of a C-Dory or "Where the heck does the fiberglass end and the balsa core begin"

Cross-section CD 22:
www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album524&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php also seen in high-resolution at http://udel.edu/~mike/cd22-cutaway/

Balsa core layout during construction CD 25:
www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album89&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wannabe wrote:

Since we're onto the subject of travelling and C-Dorys, I can't resist:
http://wefings.com/albums/cruising/ Gotta turn up the volume again. A sampler of what a southbound C-Dory Looper might encounter down Florida way.

Wefings: Great taste in boats, even better taste in tunes!

OK nerds out there. I listened to the great song and watched the slide show a couple of times, very nice. Then something asked me if I wanted it in an Active-X window on my desktop. I thought that would be neat so I did it. Now it's on my desktop and I can't get rid of it. Every time I turn on the sound, I hear that song.. Note Note Cry Note Note

The first 300 times it was OK but now I'm getting a little weary of it. How can I make it go away? Clicking on it does no good. I went to the MS website and did what they said but it's still there.... Crook

Help!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
C-Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you but I simply minimized the screen so I could still hear it while I surfed the Web. When I got tired of it -- after 259 times! -- I just closed that screen. Sorry for causing you that trouble, Charlie! Embarrased
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK, was my own fault. I got rid of Adobe Flash Player Active X and that got rid of the music and pictures but I've still got a black box in the corner of the screen. Will keep futzing with it...

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Documents All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: