The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

BZZZZZZZZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: BZZZZZZZZ Reply with quote

The Admiral and I spend a night on a slip in Newburyport this past weekend. The slip had 30amp power and water.

I had only used the shore power system once before to test everything at the dealership. Once they fixed the cross wiring on the charger :\ everything worked fine. I tested all the outlets, charger, fridge, hot water, etc.

I brought my multimeter with us this past weekend - just in case. I connected the shore power and began to test/inspect everything. Ha ha - I looked like a dog going around the boat on hands and knees listening and smelling for tell-tale signs of trouble. I put my hand on the panel and charger to make sure nothing was hot. Everything sounded and smelled fine (no cooked wires, etc). I switched on the fridge, hot water, and battery charger. I put the multimeter on the batteries and they all read in the 13's. Everything was working perfectly for about 6 hours.

The panel lights up when switches are put on as you know. The panel is also illuminated at the top before any of the switches are thrown on. The word Fridge is illuminated when switched on for example. Later that night I looked down at the electrical panel and noticed no lights beside the charger, fridge, etc. There was still power getting to the panel.

I put my hand on the panel to see if it felt hot and there was a quick zap sound and everything came back on (hmmm). Meaning, the fridge, charger, and water heater lights came back on. I looked at the charger and the back of the panel. Then there was some zapping sounds (not sparks - but zapping and lights) and then everything was off again. I managed to get farther into the storage compartment there to look right at the back of the electrical panel. I noticed a wire with a ring terminal loose - afloat - not connected to anything.

My guess is that it was never put on snug or the vibrations of a season of cruising has shaken something loose. I did not care to investigate at 11pm at night so I disconnected the shore power.

This will be my first time trying to get access to that panel to troubleshoot. Any suggestions for access? Also, stupid question, where are the fuses or breakers for items running off the electrical panel? Once the zap happened I could see the panel still had power but nothing was on. I only noticed one wire hanging loose so I would think other items would stay on unless some kind of breaker was tripped for the entire panel.

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Bad Boy

City/Region: Fresno
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Cat Fever
Photos: Cat Fever
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Did you take any pictures of the loose wire? Did you trace down what the wire went to? Black, White, Ground wire?

George
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Wire Reply with quote

Bad Boy wrote:
Matt,

Did you take any pictures of the loose wire? Did you trace down what the wire went to? Black, White, Ground wire?

George

I did not take pictures unfortunately. It was 11pm and we were turning in when it happened. I just disconnected everything and checked for smells and heat before going to bed. I had a quick look under there and noticed a loose terminal.

Do you know of a way to get access to the back of that panel? I basically had to contort my torso to get into the storage area under the seat. (Ha ha - I could barely get out).
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, are you talking about the 110 panel under the table or the 12v panel at the right of your feet at the helm?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: 110 Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Matt, are you talking about the 110 panel under the table or the 12v panel at the right of your feet at the helm?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
I'm referring to the 110 panel under the forward facing seat at the table.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, mine has a white fg cover over it held on with screws. Never had it off. My water heater doesn't heat up, never used it nor troubleshot it. Need to do that, although we don't use the shower, only have shore power at our pier. Sounds like a loose wire to me. Let us know.

Charlie
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:

On my boat, you take the cushion off the top of the frame, remove the drawer, then unscrew the platform/spacer and you have top access to that whole cabinet.

That is where EQ put my 204 a/h house battery and inverter.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
matt_unique

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 110 Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
matt_unique wrote:

On my boat, you take the cushion off the top of the frame, remove the drawer, then unscrew the platform/spacer and you have top access to that whole cabinet.

That is where EQ put my 204 a/h house battery and inverter.

Warren

Thanks Warren - I'll look to do just that.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: I think I found the culprit... Reply with quote

I think I found the culprit....the wire connecting the reverse polarity switch to the main bus panel was very corroded (green).

I was not able to lift the aft seat, the backing was stapled to this material glued to the wooden frame. Somehow I was able to get under there and remove the backing panel to get a good look and work.

Here is the back of the panel and here is the cooked wire. I will be replacing the wire next weekend, hopefully that will do the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: