The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge question - where is the water coming from?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petemos

State or Province: NS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the stuff we are discussing really is not effecting in integrity of the boat. As a prior owner of several large Sea Rays I would say the things we are dealing with are somewhat minor, but because of the boat size, the type of people that tend to buy these boats and the overall layout of the boat, they are more apparent. The people that buy these boats are normally somewhat handy and care for them like a car collector. They also don’t hold any info back and tend to want share any upgrades or small things they find to “help out the guys”. People share things like I found an extra screw in the bilge, anyone know where it may have come from? In my prior boats I always found extra screws and water in the bilge and didn’t give it a second thought. I just put the screws in a jar in case and made sure the pumps worked and the batteries were charged. These are really very simple boats with a lot of utility not much to go wrong and not many hidden problems you are going to find later.
That‘s my take and why, “and don’t take this wrong” i moved down to a smaller and simpler boat. I want to use it, not work on it.

Jim
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayes1068 wrote:
Folks I'd been serious about buying a C-Dory and up until the last couple of days I assumed the design with the glass enclosed balsa wood and the manner that the boats were manufactured, that they were a top line boat for the money. Now having read about all of the water intrusion problems into areas of the boat that should be dry, I'm having second thoughts about the boat. I'm concerned that a boat as new as a 2007 would have the problem after all of the years of manufacturing.
Is this a problem that's common throughout the different years and sizes of the boat? Question Thanks, Jim

Virtually all the problems are with the boats larger than the 22's, specifically the ones with complex floor, hull, and cabin integration designs.

The more modern C-Dory 22's and smaller boats with balsa floors have been trouble free, if properly cared for. .

The older "Classic" pre-1987 22's have plywood encapsulated floors and transoms that can be a problem if water is allowed to intrude.

Most of all of the C-Dorys have transoms that have plywood encapsulated in them that can have problems with water intrusion if not cared for properly.

Thoughtful care and watching can eliminate these water intrusion problems.

Hardware must always be installed so that it doesn't compromise the water integrity of the encapsulated plywood, balsa, or foam.

Any boat should be routinely carefully inspected to see that any balsa, plywood, or foam core is not compromised with water intrusion, and you can doubly emphasize that point when considering a boat to purchase.

I have a 1987 C-Dory 22 that has never had any water intrusion or leak problems, including the many problems currently discussed on this site.

I was thinking of adding a comment or two regarding the great number of leak and water intrusion problems brought on by the complexity of the more complex hull and floor designs, but thought owners of those boats would find it disparaging, but it's so obvious that there's no real news there to anyone.

Our discussions often come down to the KISS Principle. Simple is better, period.

It's fairly obvious that boat builders do not have bottom line fool proof methods of joining multiple layered fiberglass and core composition materials in more complex designs. At least what the present discussion shows, along with the fact that hurry-up mass production short-cuts often lead to design compromises the the boats produced that do not function properly.

Sadly, Joe. Disgust Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jhayes1068

City/Region: Farmersburg
State or Province: IN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, to everyone with information about water intrusion problems on some C-Dory's. That's the beauty of this forum: knowledgeable members willing to share information. As a rookie in the C-Dory world, I appreciate everyone's input. I'll just try to pick a great boat when the time comes. Thanks, Jim Very Happy
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to New Wantbees,
What you find here is very good info. Like water under the rear floor don't see anything that it will hurt. It is fresh water from Rain not Salt Water. Just think about all other brands that don;t tell other ones about things like this, they may be in salt water with salt water leaks but you never here anyone post it in their forms
Jim (Pandy Girl)

Tim & Dave Kinghorn

City/Region: El Dorado Hills
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sound Venture
Photos: Sound Venture
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Just a Note About C-Brat Folk Reply with quote

Although it may seem to a casual viewer, that much is made of very little (to paraphrase Shakespeare), I have, too, found over the years that the many forums have been a great source of invaluable information. This site is unique, and I greatly admire those who set it up and maintain it.

Since becoming a member, I have tried, as Ross of "Pacific Wanderer" has said, to give back a little of the much I have received. And as someone else has said: Is there nothing so enjoyable as just mucking about in boats?

I would agree as Sea Wolf has so well written, that any glass-cored boat (and that seems to be most) needs to be carefully maintained. Especially when the core is breached, great care should be taken to ensure those holes are properly prepared. And as Sea Wolf (Jack London?) has also pointed out, the larger the boat, the more opportunities for water mischief. As Jim of C-You-Later pointed out, This was a major factor in his decision to move to a smaller and simpler boat.

Tim and Dave

mjsiega

City/Region: NYC
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the C-16 have any "inner hull cavities"? Is the drain plug in the bottom of the transom drain right from the cockpit or is there some inner cavity there?

-Mark
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, just looked at my 16. Right from the cockpit, no "inner cavity"

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
petemos

State or Province: NS
Vessel Name: C-You-Later
Photos: C-You-Later
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Bilge question - where is the water coming from? Reply with quote

I was just up in Canada this weekend and after spending most of the time dealing with house related issues, I did get some time to look over the boat and see how things were. I was able to see that I don't have a hole in the back floor, just forward of the aft bilge. As there was some water in the bilge after the winter, I did not have the time to dry things down and see if I actually have a water issue, or it's just water rolling in from behind the tanks. At least for this 2007 CD 22', it would seem to validate that the hole is a manufacturing error or the factory chipped away some glass during the completion process. I will be up in Canada again next week so if it does not rain I will dry everything down good and see what I get.

Jim
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this was recently brought up again by someone else recently, in a new thread, and someone referred to this thread, I came here since I have a 2007 Cd-22. Low and behold, my boat has two holes. Each one just in front of the Fuel tank space bulkhead, in the bottom corners just outside of the bilge sump area. You can see in these photos the holes in the bottom of the bulkhead. While not shown in the photo, the holes in the very short side wall of the floor sole, are in the same position as those in the bulkhead, as if someone just drillled thru both from behind. So, in the several years that has passed since this thread, what have others learned or done with the holes? Colby

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything like this arrangement in my boat, but of course that doesn't stop me from being curious Laughing Since I see a slight deflection of the fuel tank cover panel in the bottom photo, it makes me wonder if the two matching holes are where the cover panel could/should be attached to the slight vertical portion of the sole (after edge). Or are the lower/inboard edges of the cover panels secured some other way already (like to the fuel tank cleats or something)?

If they were meant to be limber holes, you'd expect (hope) them to be upside-down U shapes at hull (inside/bottom) level instead of raised, fully round holes.

Sunbeam
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulkhead ahead of the fuel tanks is held in place by a few screws along the top. You can remove those top screws, and with a little bit of (ok, a lotta bit of... ;-( determination get those panels out to access the fuel tanks. I thought maybe there would have been screws in those bottom holes to hold the bulkhead against the floor. But then reading all the past comments in this thread, perhaps not. Otherwise, the panels are wedged between the floor and the fuel tanks. In any case, I wish I would have been able to take a mirror to take a picture of the side of the floor board. But if you can imagine pulling those bulkheads flush against the floorboard, the holes in the floorboard line up with the holes in the bulkhead....as if screws would have been in there at one time to attach the two. (Which would make more sense as I think those discussing this in the thread only seemed to have one hole and it was more in the center. Niether of my holes are low, but rather somewhat centered between top and bottom of the floorboard.
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my boat, those two holes are used for screws that hold the panel to the deck.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dawg wrote:
In my boat, those two holes are used for screws that hold the panel to the deck.

If so, maybe someone removed them to make the floor (decking) removable for cleaning (?)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

If so, maybe someone removed them to make the floor (decking) removable for cleaning (?)

As far as I have seen, the permanent/flat sole in the ~2007 and newer 22's is not removable. It's bonded (sides and after end) and caulked (forward end) in place and designed to stay that way for the life of the boat. The unit I saw (meant for new boats in 2012) was a flat, cored sole with liner-like molded bits port and starboard that ran up the side of the boat a foot or so (bonded in place with methacrylate). At the after end, molded, linery bits extended under the fuel tanks, and at the forward end it was caulked to the cabin/cockpit bulkhead.

This is in contrast to my boat (and perhaps yours too) where the cockpit sole is basically the hull, and if the cockpit sole is flat, then it is the result of the optional "factory" floorboards or a home-made set of same that are simply set in place (and thus removable).

I had the chance to get one of these "inserts" (if you will) to bond into my boat, but I decided to keep it as it came (with the addition of a set of the factory floorboards). I can see plusses and minusses to both types, but I went with the basic/open/simple/optionally deeper "plain" cockpit along with the optional floorboards for my own personal "best of both worlds" choice.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, then maybe I just need to replace the screws. Wink My floorboard is not removable. I don't know if it's exactly like Sunbeam described, without going out to look at it, but the cockpit floor is mostly sealed or bonded all around. No way to get it out with out some cutting. If I'm just missing screws there, then I don't have that hole that others have talked about. Again, it would make more sense to have screws there....Think I'll go ahead and replace them when I get a chance. As it is now, I don't believe it is hurting anything, and since they are not flush against the bottom, I don't think there is any water in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: