The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camperback windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Camperback windows Reply with quote

We are in the process of creating our own camperback for our CD22. We now have the canvas "wrapped" around the cockpit and all snapped/zippered in. The next step is to cut and install the screens/windows.

Question: How are your windows installed on your camperback? Are they zippered into the canvas? Are they Velcro'd on? Do they roll up to the top or do they roll down? Any "different" ideas that you used when you had your camperback done?

I have some ideas on how to accomplish the task, but thought I'd see if others had some good ideas.

Thanks for your help.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Our camperback has the eisenglass windows/screens stitched in (in place of the Sunbrella). The windows are to the inside, the screen on the outside. King put heavy duty zippers in the eisenglass in a large U shape so we can unzip and roll up the window portion to allow airflow. We are very pleased with the design and execution.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to have my panels made the same way Jim describes but Les at EQ convinced me I would be better off with screen panels that zip in in place of the eisinglass panels. I can't recall the arguments offhand but I followed his advice and have been happy with the results.

Jim, I seem to recall that somewhere you made reference to a wax or something similar that you used on your snaps -- can you post that info again, please?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally it is easier to sew the clear vinyl window into the Sunbrella, with the paper on the outside (both sides actaully works better). Double stitch parallel rows, Then cut out the fabric--hot knife works well, but it can be trickey with the vinyl. Using sissors you have to either tuck back or binding tape to keep the edge from fraying. The window will be on the inside of the Sunbrella cover. This is much easier than the "U" or other ways. Then you put in the zippers and roll up the entire panel, and hold up with 3/4" Sunbrella straps doubled, with "lift the dot" fasteners--can use snaps also.

I find that Vinyl is much tricker to sew than the Sunbrella. The industrial machines are also easier to use with the thicker viny and if you turn under several layers.

There is a article in DIY on replacing windows which gives some good tips. There are also some good books on building Bimini's and windows.
http://www2.sailrite.com/PDF/Articles/DIY%20Article%20Replacing%20Window%20in%20Dodger.pdf

What sewing machine are you using? Great that you are doing your own canvas work!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What sewing machine are you using? Great that you are doing your own canvas work!

We are using my Mom's 50 year old Singer - nothing fancy, but it does the job. Basically just like this one:

I like your idea on sewing the vinyl into the sunbrella and then cutting it out to add the zipper. My initial thoughts were to 1st cut (hot knife) out the opening in the Sunbrella, 2nd bind the opening, 3rd sew in the screen material. Then sew 2" binding onto the vinyl, then sew the zipper onto the binding and then finally sew the zipper onto the Sunbrella -- having the vinyl/binding overlap the opening by a couple of inches.

After not having very much luck in finding someone in our area that was interested in doing the work - I decided I could get it done. I work part-time at the most, so I have plenty of time. We purchased the pattern material (along with everything else) from Sailrite.com and made up our patterns and cut out the material. We then went snap by snap - pulling the Sunbrella tight and cutting where we needed to.

Really has not been that hard and it looks just like it was done at a shop - at least so far.

Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by BRAZO on Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Jim, I seem to recall that somewhere you made reference to a wax or something similar that you used on your snaps -- can you post that info again, please?

Thanks,
Warren

Hi Warren,

Not wax, every so often, I clean the snaps and lube with a silicone lube. Salt will get built up, making the snaps hard to get on or off if you don't "grease" 'em up once in a while.

Best wishes,
Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old machines work well. I have a brother heavy duty portable, and we also have an old kenmore. I also used a treddle machine a number of times--as well as my friends industeral Con sew and Pfaff.

The reason for the sewing the clear vinyl on the Sunbrella, is that it keeps the cloth tight, and the window smooth--that avoids any wrinkles when you are finished.

Sounds like you doing it correctly. One of the biggest issues is getting the correct needles and threads; Sail Rite has them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: