B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck with packing food, I'll just hunt down the Adeline boat when I'm on the river Smile A lot of good ideas here. One of my problems is the average food consumption rate for a teenage yout. The food that I pack in the boat for emergency hunger purposes can't be overly tasty or it will disappear faster than Snolqualamie Falls brew at a Brat gathering.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite snack/meal on CAVU is smoked salmon on a Triskitt cracker smeared with cream cheese and topped with jalapeno slice. Sounds like a strange combo but everyone who tries it has liked it. When smoked salmon is in short supply canned smoked oysters seem to work almost as well. When the salmon has been caught on the same boat it is consumed on, it seems to taste so much better!
bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: John B Reply with quote

Rice is simple and keeps. Mixes with just about anything. We cook it different south of the border, though. I toast it a bit in the pan at high heat (a cup for two or less, leftover is fine); then add water about an inch or two over the rice and let it evaporate and consume until you no longer see it even parting it with a spoon. Put the lid on and simmer for 10 minutes and enjoy. Next morning fry it with beans and eggs. By the way, fresh rice with a soft fried egg on top is hard to beat. Eggs keep well. Heck, take the chiken with you, she lays one or two a day and alerts you to anyone creeping up at night and wakes the heck out of you in the morning. I like it better than barking. Smile
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"rice with a soft fried egg on top is hard to beat." -- we call that grits . . .

BTW: here's how you cook (real) grits:

1. Don't buy instant grits (also known as Elmer's Glue)
2. Don't buy "quick grits" (also known as pasteboard)
3 ONLY buy white pearl hominy Grits (combine the following grits/water/2 tsp. bacon fat or 1 tablespoon butter/dash of salt, dash of pepper) stir all into boiling water and bring back to boil/cover/reduce heat to low/cook down until grits have firm texture (almost to point of a rice texture). Serve with butter -- or -- put in a pie pan, refrigerate or leave out in cold air, cut into squares, coat with egg, fry in bacon grease (Civil War method). Consume with butter.

Cheese grits: add sharp chedder cheese to the grits in boil mode. (warning -- pot may have to be cleaned with muratic acid or thrown away if cheese grits left to dry in pot). Excellent served with fish (no butter on these).
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: boat food Reply with quote

Calcaptain32 wrote:
On the gulf coast no cruiser would leave port without his can of: Dinty Moore beef stew.. I've never seen anyone actually eat this stuff but everone has a can.
Jay in Houston

That cracks me up! We have at least one can in both the boat and the camper -- never touched it!

A couple weeks ago, we went out on the river for the day, only to discover we left the food and drink cooler in the truck -- we were both glad we'd found some of those "all-in-one" tuna lunches and packed them in the boat...they actually were pretty good! and the cracker or breadsticks w/cheese -- and we'll never leave home without some water in camper/truck or boat.

I agree about the pressboard texture of the granola bars, but they're nutritional and filling Smile

Oh yeah...almost forgot...powdered eggs -- just like the ones we used to get at the mess hall -- Steve yucked it up when I found and bought them, but he scarfs 'em up when I toss in some ham Laughing
bongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Grits, rice, corn and such Reply with quote

Ok! Flagold, I'm learning… But grits is with white corn, right? By the way, I left out the salt and a little oil, so that the rice doesn’t stick. We like it loose. When you let it sit a while in the fire the bottom part toasts and cakes; it’s what we call: “con-colon”. Doing it with bacon grease adds new dimension and opens a horizon of currents that meander where whim and larder might lead you. In any case, it’s all pretty easy and it keeps well: I mean, rice when stored in containers. Asians couldn’t do war without it.
Will try de grits, though… And I also need a C-Dory to go along with the recipes; that’s one I can’t get through the Blog.
flagold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on the white corn. Grits cheap and store as well if you keep in a tight fitting jar. Less than a buck a pound and a pound of grits (like rice) would keep a person alive a long time. Agree on the lard and health -- but that's the way it's done to get the proper taste in plain grits. With the regular grits usually you can just add a spoonfull or two of bacon or sausage drippings (whatever is being cooked for breakfast) to the boiling water and that's enough to keep them seperated. Pour in the grits (according to package directions for serving amount) and cook.

For instant and quick grits -- nothing you can do will help -- they're simply not fit for consumption and unfortunately due to Waffle House, etc., that is the only way most people are familiar with them because the waitress simply pours a 1/4 cup of hot water in a 2 cent glue mixture and you're charged $1.50 or more for that dining pleasure . . . The restaurant owners love it.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canned Salmon!!Razz the stuff ya do yourself of course Shocked that and a big-ol sweet onion of some kind to... don't need to be cookin at all that way Thumbs Up
I have some fancy meal packages stowed under the v-berth, they are freeze-dried (spendy Thumbs Down ) but should last forever Question
anyone know the shelf-life of freeze-dried Question
My all-time favorite is my famous "Injun Candy" I make.

Canned-salmon and "Candy" (my famous stuff) is for them trips alone when I pretty much am out there shoppin for days-on-end. (trollin, or "drag'n-rino's" Laughing )

out... Bat
bongo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Food again Reply with quote

Whew! RedKfox, that pic in the artic made me turn my A/C unit off. Yep, canned salmon is good and easy. The other one is pickling fresh fish. It’s not only enjoyable but will extend the life of your catch. We call it “seviche”. Eat what you can, then cut the “fresh” raw fish in chunks about an inch X 1/2” and till them with a fork (like farmers do the soil). Then bathe the fish in lemon juice for 15 or 20 minutes, until it changes from pearl to opaque white. Drain the lemon juice and add: chopped onions; freshly chopped coriander leaves; fresh pepper, preferably HOT!; or just about any kind of herb you have on hand and enjoy. Ice cream or sherbet is good for the aftermath.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were at Lake Powell a couple years back, I threw together a "sandbar scramble". We had 4 or 5 boats beached on a sandbar in 50 Mile Canyon. I cleaned a nice striper bass and cooked it up with some eggs, avacado and cream cheese. Everybody brought their own plates.
When we were at Lake Mohave last year with 6 - 7 boats, I cooked up some wild pig sausage with the eggs and potatoes.
This year while cruising the San Juans, We cooked up some fresh crab with the eggs (thanks Roger, Sensei for the crabs)
Next month I'll have some home brewed Cream Ale at the dock party in Santa Barbara. Beer -- oh, no- I didn't brew it on the boat.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do y'all (that's southern for all-of-you-out there) know it was nearly a year between posts and this thing is chatting like it was a day between?!?!

Crystal lite to flavor your stale water.

Grits are one of the scariest foods I've seen. And Spam.

flagold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam pretty good dotted with brown sugar, cane syrup over that (just a thin line) pinapple rounds over that, and baked.

Next: Dinty Moore Delight . . .
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grits, spam? what's next, head cheese?
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thems fightin words there
there is nothing wrong with head cheese....lol....
and also sweetbreads and rocky mt. oysters

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
flagold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"there is nothing wrong with head cheese" -- agreed! Those that have never had it are in for a pleasant surprise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: