View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: boat food Reply with quote

I'm always on the lookout for decent food that travels well, stores well and has some nutritional value that you can just leave in the boat for emergency purposes. Any ideas?

Here's what I've been packing along lately; Cup Of Noodles (doesn't weigh much and is easy to fix) and Quaker Oats breakfast bars. Those breakfast bars are a lot like a sweetend, condensed, compressed wood product which is good thing because they don't get wolfed down and are always in stock for emergency hunger situations. If you're real hungry they aren't bad and are rather filling.

C Spray

City/Region: Mukilteo
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look into some of the freeze dried back packing food. Some of it is very tasty. All it takes to fix a lot of it is one pot and some water and heat it up.

Butch
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few bags of Mountain House freeze dried in the boat. Used this brand a lot in my younger days while backpacking to the high lakes in the north Cascades.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Calcaptain32

City/Region: Houston
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: boat food Reply with quote

On the gulf coast no cruiser would leave port without his can of: Dinty Moore beef stew.. I've never seen anyone actually eat this stuff but everone has a can.
Jay in Houston
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C,
I'd be careful talking about those bars as a wood product. If TyBoo catches wind of new material he'll be making boat parts so he can save those plastic trees. Don't want to deplete the supply of any one thing.

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinkies, I think they have a shelf life of 50 years. I carry cans of tuna, baked beans and zone bars.
Can anybody tell me the difference between Dinty Moore and dog food?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog food tastes like C-Rations. Dinty's tastes like MRE's.
Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The label
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. Okay, we could eat for a month on Daydream. We have cute little packaged fruit cups, dried pasta with alfredo sauce and a can of chicken to throw in, dried Quaker Oatmeal and radiated milk with a shelf-life of many months, dried hash browns, boxed macaroni and cheese (of course), boxed ready-made soups that need no refrigeration, various packages of hearty dehydrated soups (Tuscan bean, lentil, etc.), a few cans of things like chili and tamales, and, of course, Spam (some parts are meat) That ought to help you out!!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure does. But don't forget Cheetos, the cheese that goes crunch. Too, they're flammable so you always have fire starters.
Cat
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Flat Things". Tortillas. Whether we are kayaking or in C-Run, we always have them with us. They stay fresh for long time and we can use them for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. I also like to take along boxes of Near East brand pastas and couscous. They cook up quickly and you can add veggies, meat or cheeses. My favorite find this year is boxed pre-cooked bacon. It has a shelf life of about 6 months. You can microwave or just heat it up in a fry pan. Yum. Oh, and beer. Beer That's food, right?
Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberta Krumm wrote:
"Oh, and beer. Beer That's food, right?
Robbi

Yep, a sandwich in every can...

I have jars of Tuna, Smoked Tuna, smoked Salmon, Pringels potato chips, Elk and deer Jerky, and I like to keep a few of those snack crackers. You can get them at Costco or other stores... Peanut butter and cheese and Jalapeno are my favorites.
And don't forget the Jiffy pop popcorn.....

I usually have a jar or two of Tuna Salad, some grated cheese and Tostitoes Scoops... oh yea, and my torch Wink . Mmmmm Tasty Smile Razz

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get packages of dried Cajun mixes from Louisiana, Vigo, Tony Chacheries, and Oak Grove Smokehouse. Dirty Rice Mix, jambalaya Cajun Rice Mix, and Etouffe Mix, are the favorites. All of those brands make them and you can mix brands in the same pot for different tastes. All you do with any of them is add a few links of sausage, or hamburger, or canned chicken, or canned shrimp, clams, or a mixture of all of it to the mix, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 mins and it feeds 6 out of an 8 oz package small enough to fit in the palm of your hand (and it's very tasty).

You can get all kinds of Cajun products here:
http://www.cajunwholesale.com/catalog/ if you can't find them on the left coast. For a different taste for your Salmon, Steelhead, etc.,: get some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, take your salmon filet (skin on) and plop it in Greek salad dressing, sprinkle the seasoning on (liberally), put the fillet on the grill on coals with mequite wood and cover for 10 mins with the grill lid vents full open -- then uncover, go between the skin and meat and flip the fish on the grill and pour the remaining salad oil and whatever Creole Mix is in it over the freshly exposed meat and re-cover for another 10 minutes or until the meat flakes and is slightly seared.

Tobasco now makes Chili fixins in jars, and you can take a regular 3 cans of anybodies cheapo chili, a can of kidney beans (or 2 for the brave), and add a jar of Tobasco and a beer and the folks at home will rave for months on that special meal you fixed . . .

Being from the south, I've always got a tupperware dish of meal, bottle of oil, and grits onboard in case I'm attacked by alligators, bigfoot, jaws, or an army of frogs I can make a quick fry out of any of them.

Pasta is good as mentioned, and they are now putting sauces in plastic containers and they are good.

The difference between Dinty Moore and dogfood is there is meat in dogfood, although the Dinty Moore chicken & dumplings mixed with 2 cans of Swanson's Chicken A La King, a can of Campbells Chicken & Dumplings soup, and 1/4 cup of parmesian cheese mixed and served on noodles (or cooked with them (best), is good!

And yes I am the camp cook for many of our prospecting rallies.

The organizer's camp:

The rally:

Look close and you'll see the C-Dory.

MM
http://www.treasuresites.com
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with the frozen Stauffer's bags of chicken and veggies or shrimp and veggies. After a day or so they thaw, but are fine. Just heat them in a pan. My crews have been enthusiastic for the shrimp and the alfredo chicken, not so much for the garlic chicken.

And the instant oatmeal packets are a simple breakfast. I keep a good supply of them.

Dave
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline carries many heavy soups and stews, mac'-n-cheese, dirty rice, coffee and hot chocolate that are always on board and rarely used('cept coffee). I always seem to overprovision with food/libations. Chinese Food(Republic Cafe) that I've previously frozen(Tupperware). Arbys sandwiches also freeze well as do burritos/rice/beans from my favorite Mexican restaurant. This stuff nukes up on paper plates and with plastic utensils there's nothing to clean up. My favorite "boat food" is smoked salmon crackers ala Adeline. From the bottom; saltine, mayo, Tillamook Cheddar, smoked salmon, onion, and chopped pepperocini. I like to set up a production line and assemble as needed. Great food that I like to enjoy with an ice cold Carta Blanca. This is standard fare while trolling. YUM!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: