The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16C Trim Tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramos

City/Region: WASCO
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: 16C Trim Tabs Reply with quote

We have a 16 Cruiser that we use primarily on the Columbia and John Day Rivers. Will take it to Tillamook Bay at least once this year. We have a Honda 50 EFI with a Perma-Trim that does a good job of controlling pitch. I'am curious what everyone may think of putting trim tabs on this little boat. It is easy enough to adjust trim with ballast. But, once under way it would be nice to fine tune trim, especially after someone decides to move a few feet in one direction or another. On the one hand it seems silly to put these on such a small boat, on the other hand it would seem the smaller the boat, the greater the need?
C-Squirt
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a good question. There have been times, when I was alone on the boat and my kicker was on the starboard side, That I would actually sit in the port seat and reach over to steer the boat. But, as time with the boat goes on, I've learned to anticipate the effect of my movements, and what used to be seem like exagerated side to side movement, now seems normal. Also, I've got the static stuff of consequence stored for a good initial balance. We did have trim tabs on our 22 but I don't think I'd consider them for the 16.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
bjidzik

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Betty Joe
Photos: Betty Joe
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The permatrim on the engine should be sufficient. On rare occasions, the wind may blow the bow one way or another, but its easy enough to compensate with weight adjustment or a bit of trim/steering.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said. Simple systems for a simple (but capable) boat. Cost of trim tabs would go a long way in purchasing some more canvas. With those boys, and our weather, you will probably want some canvas someday.
ramos

City/Region: WASCO
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, three replies minutes after posting and all from the 16' clan! I'am in agreement with all of your' replies. Had to throw this out for discussion as my Dad has a 23' Grady White that he runs out of Garibaldi, OR. He informed me that any "real" boat 16' or bigger should have trim tabs. I do not always do what he says (I'am 44), but I always consider his opinions with a large amount of respect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: