The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thru hull fittings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Thru hull fittings Reply with quote

Can someone give me advice on drilling the hull for a thru hull fitting please. Obiously this makes me a little nervous and i'm wondering if there is another option. Use is for a wash down pump that is currently plumbed into the 20 gal fresh water tank. Is it possible to mount an intake under the swim grid to avoid drilling the hull? What is the norm? thats for the help. Rolling Eyes
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a washdown pump in the cockpit, and I too was reluctant to drill a hole in the hull. I ran the intake hose through the rubber boot into the splash well where it stays when not in use. When I want to use the pump, I hang the hose over the transom into the water next to the motor. Hope this helps.

Rob
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Thru hull fitting location Reply with quote

Dutch123,

Drilling a hole in the bottom of ones boat just goes against all common sense but.............if you route the tubing from the fitting up higher than the waterline it will not allow uncontrolled water flow into your boat.
My water intake for the wash down and the live well, factory installed, is in the bottom and tubing routed as explained.

Good luck and thanks for the "hello" when we passed through last month.

Jack

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Wash down Reply with quote

As a Tomcat owner with a raw water wash down I envy the fact that you guys have one plumbed to your fresh tank. It would sure make things easier for me where I presently keep Napoleon on a mooring. You could connect to your rinse port on your engine (if equipped) for a fresh water rinse no matter where you are.

Good luck with your project. If you drill through any coring you of course want to make sure you overdrill/undercut/etc.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper way is to use a hole saw, a fraction of an inch larger than the diameter of the bronze threaded thru hull fitting. You under cut the core back by about 1/4". Use a coat hanger, allen wrench, or Dremel tool. Fill this under cut with epoxy so that it gives both support and keeps water from the core. Put sealant (4200 would be good) under the outer part of the fitting (strainer)--and then make a "backing block" under the inner nut. Use the nut to tighten down on the sealant.

You can run a tube over board. I used a diaphragm pump and put the intake tube over board. This was my choice on a 22.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ted Osborne

City/Region: Des Moines, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tabbycat
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch123. I don't like the idea of a thru hull if you don't have to do it. We have the pump under the gunnel and just toss the intake overboard.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat came with a thru hull for a livewell pump and I can't wait to get rid of the bloody thing. I just don't like holes below the waterline with a hull that is cored. I'll be taking care of it sometime this year. I like the "throw the intake over the side when you want to use it" school of thought.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Fairbanks Fisher

City/Region: Fairbanks
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a factory installed raw water washdown system. I went out and took a couple of pictures of the thru hull fitting from inside and out and posted them in my photo album in case you might be interested.

Good luck.

2008 22 Angler
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had thru-hulls on our sailboats for the engine coolant, depthsounder, and speedos. Sailboat hulls rarely allow transom mounted things like this. A big Allen wrench on a drill will carve out the hull core and this resultant space needs to be filled with a good epoxy intended for this purpose.

20+ years with the San Juan 28 and these fittings and not a single issue with the thru hulls. Hole preparation is vital, this ain't a one-day project.

-- Chuck
matt_unique

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

Fairbanks Fisher wrote:
I've got a factory installed raw water washdown system. I went out and took a couple of pictures of the thru hull fitting from inside and out and posted them in my photo album in case you might be interested.

Good luck.

You know, looking at those pictures I wonder if those things are mounted through solid glass?

The indentation looks just like the spot on Tomcat with solid glass (for In-Hull transducers).
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I thought about that too when I saw the pix. Could be though that it's just an indentation for the bilge water to collect and is still cored. Hopefully, the first time someone drills through it, they'll let us all know! Thumbs Up

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Bad Boy

City/Region: Fresno
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Cat Fever
Photos: Cat Fever
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the various fiberglass projects I have done on my boat and the experience Thataway documented on his fiberglass repairs, I would not assume the factory followed proper procedures for installing any hatch or thru-hull. It takes a lot of time to properly bed a thru-hull as explained in many forums here and factory does not want to and I am inclined to say, from my experience, the factory does not follow the procedures to protect cored hulls.

With that said, I like water intakes through thru-hulls. When properly located, you can use the system while underway. The location of the bait pump intake the factory installed on my boat was too high. It only works when the boat is fully stopped. Once we got underway, the thru-hull was out of the water and the bait pump starved for water. It didn't take long for the bait to die. This is one of several examples where I scratched my head wondering why a boat manufacturer missed this.

As Chuck S said, thru-hulls are not an issue, when properly installed. There are multi-million dollar boats with multiple thru-hulls. Once you install one properly, you will never again hesitate to do so.

George
matt_unique

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Sealing Reply with quote

Bad Boy wrote:
... the factory does not follow the procedures to protect cored hulls...

Considering the entire cost of the boat, one would think they (and other manufacturers) would opt to do this and charge whatever they need to cover the cost. I'm not aware of any manufacturers that seal cored material properly. In fact, most boat yard installers don't do it right.

It would be interesting to learn if the indentation is solid glass as it is on the Tomcat's aft starboard sponson.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part on the STB hull on the tom cat is solid glass. A transducer will shoot thru it.
Fairbanks Fisher

City/Region: Fairbanks
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a solid tool handle and tapping on the adjacent hull area and the indented area did not give any indication of density change therefore I would assume a normal cored hull in that area as well.

As an aside, I took a close look at the transom drain thru hull and it appears to have exposed core (see photo added to album). I will be taking out the transom drain fitting, undercutting and sealing the core with epoxy before reinstalling the fitting and I will more than likely remove the raw water thru hull fitting and, if it is not sealed, will undercut and epoxy that as well. Any other thru hull will be gone over the same way (chain locker drain hole). Better safe than sorry. I really like the boat and want to keep it in as good shape as possible.

By the way, I think the reason the chain locker drain is above the bottom of the locker is because the outer clam shell fitting can't go any lower without hull contour interference. Mine is also about an inch from the bottom of the locker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: