View previous topic :: View next topic  
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: SUPER LOOP 2009 Reply with quote

On May 9, 2007, I planed to begin my Super Loop Grand Adventure in a CD-16. Due to a sudden twist of fate that plan was aborted on Feb 17, 2007. Here it is now May 8th 2009. and I’m ready to start again in my CD 22, C-Lover. Actually, I’ve kinda started because I had to get to my beginning point. I decided to add an extra leg to the Loop. I’m adding the entire Gulf Coast ICW leg starting at Brownsville, Texas. It just doesn’t seem right to not start at the US- Mexico border. So it’s really Super Loop Plus.

I left Pensacola April 28. I’ve been 846 miles to get to my starting point. I’m at the very end of the turning basin of the Brownsville Ship Channel. It is GIWW END Mile 682 WHL. (The beginning not the end for me) I thought for sure I’d find a commercial dock at the end that I could tie up to. I was about to give up when I spotted what looked to be a very small boat ramp tucked away at the Western most Point of the turning basin. (25 56.958 N 097 24 115 W) I put the nose of C-Lover in and tied off. I’m going to get the grill out and fix Surf & Turf. Texas Ribeye and fresh Texas Table Shrimp.

As always you can track me on SPOT

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start, we look forward to your trip. Keep us all posted!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun -- look forward to reading your posts.
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya Roger. You certainly picked a good time to visit S. Texas - record breaking high temps !

How long do you figure it will take you to complete the "loop" ?

In East Texas
thataway

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to do the St. Lawrance SeaWay too? That makes it the "great super loop" I don't know of too many boats which have done the St Lawrance...except some much larger boats. There are also several "short cuts, or long cuts" one can take. If anyone can do it you can. I keep laughing at the 3 legged dog on the moped trip across the US! Good luck on finding a 3 legged alligator!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flrockytop,

You're in my neck of the woods, but I'm about 1700 miles away right now. If you are actually in the Port of Brownsville, you are about 15 miles west of the actual start (or end, depending on your orientation) of the GIWW, which starts at the turning basin in Port Isabel. Recreational vessels are not allowed in the Port of Brownsville. Shocked Thus, the reason you did not find a dock to tie up to. You may want to contact the Brownsville Harbormaster on 16 (then, you'll be switched to 12). Recreational vessels need permission to enter, and you will then be told "no photography" beyond a certain point. By the time you get just east of the shrimpboat basin, look behind you to the south and you will see the sign saying "No Recreational Vessels".

Heading out of the Brownsville Ship Channel, you will come to "the Y"; there is a short channel there (Port Isabel Channel on your charts) that will lead you to the Port Isabel Turning Basin. Heading out of the turning basin, you will see Long Island on your starboard - that's where I live. The swingbridge connecting Long Island to Port Isabel is contacted on channel 12. If you call them "Port Isabel Swingbridge" (as it used to be marked on old charts), they will NOT respond to you. Call them "Long Island Swingbridge". They open for recreational traffic on the hour during weekdays, anytime on weekends. Even if it's on the hour, you have to call for an opening.

After you pass the swingbridge, there is a port sweeping turn; it's shallow on both sides, so be sure to stay between the markers. Under the causeway and you're on your way to Corpus Christi (140 nm NNE). There are green markers for the starboard side, but the reds are every 5 or 6. Don't let yourself drift to the red side between those markers, 'cause it shallows out pretty quick (where they toss the spoils).

If you are using a Campbells Cruising Guide, it is pretty dated. Things have changed some since the last hurricane season. After Port Isabel, you can get fuel in Port Mansfield (35 nm up the ICW) and then no fuel until just south of the Kennedy Causeway south of Corpus.

You should see plenty of waterfowl along the ICW; the Atascosa Wildlife Refuge borders the Arroyo Colorado. There are fishing cabins along that area; according to Texas law, you can tie off to their dock, but if it is posted "No Trespassing", you're not supposed to go onto the dock. Some are abandoned; some are just pilings since Hurricane Dolly came through.

You'll likely come across barge traffic. I like to give them a call on 16 just to make sure which side to pass. The ICW gets narrow in this area, and with no reds on your port side, you'll want to watch your depth. The bottom is mostly soft mud/sand/muck until you get in the vacinity of the Baffin Bay, where there are some rocky areas just west of the marked channel (where there may not be a lot of red markers).

Hope that helps. Wish we were there to share some local knowledge in person, share some stories, and help you with some dock space.

Have a great time on your trip - we wish you safe travels.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

flrockytop

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyman wrote:
Good on ya Roger. You certainly picked a good time to visit S. Texas - record breaking high temps !

No time frame. The Gulf Coast and East coast of Florida will be fairly quick as I have done most of that already over the past years. I pushed a crane barge over here to Brownsville about year ago. That's when I decided to add it to the Loop. I don't know about the heat. Thats not been too bad. Its the wind that has been the killer. It was blowing 30kt on the nose going across Corpus Christi Bay. That was sloppy ,wet and slow going.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flrockytop wrote:
toyman wrote:

No time frame. The Gulf Coast and East coast of Florida will be fairly quick as I have done most of that already over the past years. I pushed a crane barge over here to Brownsville about year ago. That's when I decided to add it to the Loop. I don't know about the heat. Thats not been too bad. Its the wind that has been the killer. It was blowing 30kt on the nose going across Corpus Christi Bay. That was sloppy ,wet and slow going.

"Pushed a crane barge over here to Brownsville..." Well, you sure didn't need my advice! My apologies if I told you stuff you already know. The Texas Gulf Coast isn't the easiest to cruise because of the distances between good anchorages (unlike most all of Florida). Most of the recreational boating there is flats boats out for a day of fishing.

The prevailing wind in coastal south Texas is SE; this time of year you won't run into the northers. Thumbs Up Should be a lot cooler on the water than those record high temps inland.

What's your plan for getting the boat and trailer back together?

Best wishes,
Jim B.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

What a trip! I hope you have a great time and I will be following with your spot.

Sounds like Mary Jo is not with you. Are you doing the entire trip in one go and by yourself? Or are you going to do sections and hop-scotch with the tow rig?

Look forward to seeing your posts - maybe a new blog,

Steve
Walldog

City/Region: Port Isabel
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Vessel Name: Willie's Tug
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we just missed you. As with Wild Blue, we also are at the End Of Texas. We live on the "Island" of Port Isabel, across the ICW from Jim. But we have left in our motorhome and are on the way toward Florida to see some C-Dorys and Ranger Tugs up close and personal. We look forward to seeing your posts so we can live your trip with you. Have a great time.

Port Isabel TX/Ballard WA
http://walldogsjourneys.blogspot.com
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this a Great Loop trip or ??? I couldn't tell from the chartplotter pix.

After hearing about your coast-to-coast ride on a moped nothing you do surprises me any more! Good luck!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
flrockytop

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Are you going to do the St. Lawrance SeaWay too? That makes it the "great super loop" I don't know of too many boats which have done the St Lawrance...except some much larger boats. There are also several "short cuts, or long cuts" one can take. If anyone can do it you can. I keep laughing at the 3 legged dog on the moped trip across the US! Good luck on finding a 3 legged alligator!

Yes I plan the Big trip of going through the St. Seaway.

Quote:
The prevailing wind in coastal south Texas is SE; this time of year you won't run into the northers. Thumbs Up Should be a lot cooler on the water than those record high temps inland.

What's your plan for getting the boat and trailer back together?

I can take all the help I can get. I am boating back to Pensacola.

Quote:
Sounds like Mary Jo is not with you. Are you doing the entire trip in one go and by yourself? Or are you going to do sections and hop-scotch with the tow rig?

I am by myself. Mary Jo will join for some of the sections. I am going to do it in sections at a time and trailer back to Pensacola in between sections.

Quote:
Well, we just missed you. As with Wild Blue, we also are at the End Of Texas. We live on the "Island" of Port Isabel, across the ICW from Jim. But we have left in our motorhome and are on the way toward Florida to see some C-Dorys and Ranger Tugs up close and personal. We look forward to seeing your posts so we can live your trip with you. Have a great time.

Sorry I'm going to mis you and Wild Blue. I am hold up now in Port Isabel. I've just been taking it easy today. Walked around town some and went to the Museums. Going to hit the Lighthouse tomorrow. Looks like a lot of choices for good food. I'm going to pick one shortly and check it out.

Quote:
So, is this a Great Loop trip or ??? I couldn't tell from the chartplotter pix

Yes this is a Loop trip. I put the larger view of the map program to show the Lat of Brownsville in relation to South Florida. If I could hold enought gas I could just go due East and end up somewhere around Naples, Fla Smile
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for internet connection?
flrockytop

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyman wrote:
What are you using for internet connection?

Right now I am sitting in this canal and am "using" someones Belkin54 WIFI. When I can't get a wifi I teather to me phone but I'm using a backdoor connection with that and don't get very good speed, but it does work. I'm too cheap for a real phone card connection.

Roger
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry I'm going to mis you and Wild Blue. I am hold up now in Port Isabel. I've just been taking it easy today. Walked around town some and went to the Museums. Going to hit the Lighthouse tomorrow. Looks like a lot of choices for good food. I'm going to pick one shortly and check it out.

Now, you've got my speciality - food in the area! Mr. Green Not sure where you are in Port Isabel, but there are 3 good restaurants near the lighthouse: Marcello's (Italian), Pirate's Landing (seafood, steaks, sandwiches, etc), and just a half a block down Garcia Street is Pelican Station (just open for supper, a bit more modern fare). If you want all you can eat fish or shrimp, there is the Galleon (one block west of the lighthouse on the main drag). If you want a real Texas meal, the chicken fried steak (or chicken) is good at Blackbeard's on South Padre Island. Also there is Mamacita's (Mexican) on the island or Padre Island Brewing (if you want pizza, ribs, or sandwiches). There is a free shuttle that runs through Port Isabel and South Padre Island, called The Wave. The Visitor's Center in the Lighthouse Square will have info. Because PI and SPI depend on tourism for their livelihood, you will find lots of good restaurants... the ones I mentioned are my favorites.

If you get the chance to walk the beach on SPI, you will find it quite different from your part of the Gulf... golden instead of white powder, but it is one of the best walking beaches; firm near the water (you can ride a bike on it) or soft up towards the dunes. It goes on for 35 miles or so, up to the Port Mansfield Cut.

One last thing: fuel on the water in Port Isabel is the same price as on land. Two places to buy: right on the ICW across from Long Island is the Texaco (just east of SouthPoint Marina). The other place for fuel is inside the Fingers area (sometimes called the city marina, even though there are no city slips) at White Sands (also a restaurant, motel, and gas station).

Have fun in the area. Let me know if I can answer any other local questions. Keep us posted!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: